Candy Apple Red, Sea Foam Green or Fiesta Red?

Well guys... what's it gonna be?

'71 Competition Mustang. All original, except the finish; it was already stripped when I got it.

39069a96.jpg

Leaving it bare isn't going to work unless I clear coat it, and if I clear coat it / oil it, I may as well paint it. Why isn't it going to work? The wood's too dry... and when I play it, and sweat, it's soaking into the wood and discoloring it.

I have to think of the integrity of the guitar first, so it looks like it HAS to be painted. You get to vote on what color I should use. I get to read your replies and veto the majority opinion if I feel like it. ;):D

I have SFG and CAR lacquer on hand, and could start on either of those colors immediately. I would have to order Fiesta Red lacquer from ReRanch if I decide to go that route. The guitar's original / stock color was Candy Apple Red ("competition red" - same thing) with white / cream colored stripes. I'm not going to try to paint stripes on it - that's beyond my comfort zone and modest painting skills... maybe I'll try some vinyl stripe decals from Ebay - we'll see.

As you can see from the photo above, I already have a SFG Duo Sonic (a recent project), and I also have a CAR Telecaster:

SANY0005.jpg

I don't have anything in Fiesta Red, and that's really the only other custom color besides SFG or CAR that I'd even remotely consider. I'm not that into Lake Placid / Competition Blue, Dakota Red, Daphne and Sonic Blue are too "common" on Mustangs, Competition Orange is too hard to get, etc.

Anyway, let me know what you think I should go with please...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a fan of seafoam green. That candy apple red looks delicious on that Tele, but I'm not sure of how well it would suit a Mustang. I'm gonna go with fiesta red since you said you don't have anything with that.

Archived