Candy Apple Red, Sea Foam Green or Fiesta Red?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not questioning whether or not I could manage to refinish a headstock... I probably could manage it. But I'd rather not refinish a vintage neck if I don't have to. The body is already stripped, so it has to be refinished. The neck still has the original finish on it, and it's in really good shape, so while I'm not going to go so far as to say it would be "wrong" to do it, IMO, refinishing it wouldn't make sense.

Besides, getting a real / authentic Fender decal is a pain in the posterior. Even for me - and I "know people". :facepalm:

Yes, I watched the video. Yes, I hate that guy for his speed and fluidity on the instrument. :D Yes, his Jazzmaster with the matching fiesta red headstock looks awesome. :cool:

No, I'm STILL not going to strip the finish off a perfectly fine looking 39 year old vintage guitar neck just to re-paint it and put a fake decal on it. :wave:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

{censored} yes. Fiesta red and untouched headstock is the right way to go. Don't you dare refinish that headstock. Everything you're doing is absolutely right.

We had a couple Musicmasters/Mustangs come through a music store I worked at about 5 years ago, and they were so much god damn fun to play. I had t retune and test all our guitars twice a week, and in our meager stock, those were the couple guitars I looked forward to playing. I don't have small hands either; I play a 25.5 scale or whatever. They're just so much fun. You want write priceless pop tunes all god damn day.

Old thread is old. Not only have I already refinished and completed my '75 Duo Sonic project (Sea Foam Green) and refinished the '71 Mustang (Fiesta Red), but since that time, I have also finished a Music Master relic (Shell Pink) project.

While the links above take you to tons of pics of each individual guitar - "in process" as well as after completion, here is an obligatory pic of the trio:

AllThreeShortscales1.jpg

Archived