Candy Apple Red, Sea Foam Green or Fiesta Red?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt your other project pretty much original?

You mean the '75 Musicmaster? If so... hardly. :lol:

It was probably originally white. Someone had refinished it dayglo orange and managed to do it with the hardware still on the guitar. Their masking job left much to be desired - there was day-glo orange overspray on various hardware parts. :freak: Then someone decided to strip all the finish off of it. The pickup had been wax potted WITH the cover on it, and the cover partially melted. The pickguard was missing...

That's where I came in. I took it to Fender and had the body routed for the second pickup and two toggle switches so I could convert it into a Duo Sonic II. AFAIK, it's the only "Fender factory routed" 70s era Duo Sonic II on the planet. :lol: Then I cleaned up all the hardware, refinished the body with shellac primer and sea foam green nitrocellulose lacquer with lots of clear coats, got a new pickguard and switches for it and installed a pair of CS Abagail Ybarra wound pickups into it. etc. etc. Blah blah :blah:

It's definitely not "all original". But it's pretty darned cool IMHO. :o But it was SO thrashed that I had no moral reservations about doing pretty extensive mods / restoration work to it. Its next stop would have probably been the rubbish bin had I not done so. It was in pretty bad shape. Now it's a nice little guitar. You can see a pic of it in post #1 of this thread.

I like Dakota Red better than CAR.

Dakota red is so "common" on Mustangs that I find it kind of boring. It's a cool color, but it's also one of the most common colors on 'stangs, and I want something a little more unusual, a little less commonly seen - so Dakota red, Olympic white and Sonic / Daphne blue are all disqualified.

Sorry. :o

• Members

Dakota red is so "common" on Mustangs that I find it kind of boring. It's a cool color, but it's also one of the most common colors on 'stangs, and I want something a little more unusual, a little less commonly seen - so Dakota red, Olympic white and Sonic / Daphne blue are all disqualified.

Sorry.
:o

the sweat stains could make it more unusual.

Found a Sherwood DuoSonic, it's pretty great looking..

58duosonic.jpg

:love: :phil:

If I could see some pics of guitars that I KNEW were done with ReRanch Sherwood Green, and they looked like that, I'd be VERY tempted to go with that color... but their color chip on their site looks too dark and not "brilliant" enough, and so I'm very hesitant...

Someone briefly explain the appeal of the short-scale 'beginner' offsets to me?

There are two scale lengths 22.5" and 24". I think 22.5 is pretty worthless, except to start an 8 year old off with... but 24" isn't all that "short" - it's only 3/4" shorter than a Les Paul. And remember - Fender's top of the line instrument circa 1962-66 was the Jaguar, which is also a 24" scale length.

Part of the appeal is the slightly shorter 24" scale length. It's just enough to make the neck a bit more comfortable for someone like me who has slightly smaller hands. On my Duo Sonic, I can "reach" things I see my friends doing comfortably / easily on Strats that I've always struggled with when I do it on a 25.5" scale neck.

The body is also slightly differently shaped on a Mustang / Duo Sonic. It's about as long as a Strat, but it's narrower across the top. If you're short (I'm 5'8"), it "covers" less of your body, and it may "feel" like it "fits" you better. Plus, some of us actually like the way those guitars look...

Another BIG advantage is that they're inexpensive relative to other vintage Fenders. You can get into a 60s era Mustang, Duo Sonic or Musicmaster for under two grand - sometimes under a grand. Try that with a 60s era Tele. Some "collector's grade" 60s instruments, or early 70s Competition Mustangs might fetch three or four grand, but again, those prices are WAY lower than what a Strat or Tele in similar condition from the same era would cost. Sonically, they're Fenders. Quality wise, they're Fenders. Same assembly line, same materials, same builders. They're the most affordable way to get into vintage Fenders available.

I also have a 17.5" neck and pretty big shoulders. 33" sleeve length, so when I go to get dress shirts, which are sized off your sleeve and neck dimensions, they must figure I weight 250 or something, because I can almost wrap the thing around me twice. :lol: I have to buy athletic cut shirts and get them tailored in order to get them to fit.

Archived