August New-Gear Thread

• Members

The RCA jacks kind of suck admittedly. I'd love to see a balanced out option for the 404, so you don't have to use crappy adapters. Can't have everything though.

Just buy some luxurious Monster Cables!!!!

I had a great laugh when I read the text of the Monster cable "OK, Better, Best" cable display at my local Sam Ash. Look for it! Modern Snake Oil Salesmen at their finest.

Actually, I think the RCA cables are better than TRS jacks: more contact area between the jacks and plugs. XLR connectors are actually much closer in design to RCA than TRS. The TRS contact point is usually very small for the tip and ring.

No worries about the sound quality of the SP-404, though. It sounds great.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

carbon posted:

groucho.jpg

"....say the secret woid and a duck will come down and give you a hundred dollars. It's a common woid, something you hear every day. George, who's our first contestant?....."

@Carbon: who's the bigger nerd, you or me?

:idk:

• Members

Monster cables. That's a good one. :p

I get all my cables at RedCo, and I've got a bunch of them, but none with TRS at one end and RCA at the other, which means I'll have to buy new cables. No big deal, but still. First guy that tells me they make adapter plugs for this gets a *smack*.

Ordinarily, when I see a pro-level product with RCA jacks, I think, well, what other corners did they cut? In the case of this and other "DJ" targeted gear, I'm not sure this notion is reasonable.

Despite the 404's superior capacity specs, I'm leaning towards the MPC at the moment. It wouldn't be the first time I've based a purchasing decision on arguably irrational concerns, and probably won't be the last.

:wave: After all, I am an idiot....

• Members

"....
say the secret woid and a duck will come down and give you a hundred dollars. It's a common woid, something you hear every day. George, who's our first contestant?....."

@Carbon:
who's the bigger nerd, you or me?

:idk:

Beats me... :facepalm::lol:

...but, for now, I must be going.

[YOUTUBE]jCvz8y_DUSY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

xmlguy said:

...Actually, I think the RCA cables are better than TRS jacks: more contact area between the jacks and plugs....

Is this a proven fact? I don't doubt the surface area part, but I wonder about the contact strength of the RCA jack, relative to a phono jack or a a [locking] XML jack.

I'm speaking with pure ignorance here. :wave:

• Members

XML jack.

I'm speaking with pure ignorance here.
:wave:

I've always found RCA plugs to be harder to pull out than TRS plugs. That makes them a bit harder to push in too. Once an RCA is in, I've never had a problem with bad contact connections. With TRS of all sizes, I frequently get signal loss, pops and clicks when the plug rotates. The RCAs are more self cleaning with friction, and if the outside diameter of the ground on the plug gets spread out, its easy to squeeze it down to get it back into good contact. If the tip or ring contact on a TRS jack gets weak, ya gotta tear into the device or replace the whole jack.

But this applies only for short distance line level connections. Balanced lines are the way to go for distance, and that means TRS or XLR.

• Members

I've always found RCA plugs to be harder to pull out than TRS plugs.

The issue with TRS being easier to pull isn't to do with the plug, but with the female jacks. Neutrik's patchbays and the connections on the Vermona DRM mkII have both impressed me for their strong, sturdy connections (especially the Neutriks, which grip like a fist). Maybe you need to spend less time with loose women. :cop:

I've never had issues with my lil' SP-202's RCAs. If you're really worried about fidelity to the extreme that you can hear the difference when RCA is converted to 1/4", you shouldn't even be considering boxes like the SP series to begin with, because you need the safest, most padded environment possible to avoid being consumed by your own anus. Pros needn't be bothered, because pros can invest in far better gear and take a tax write-off. :wave:

I think the SP-202 sounds great, from a lo-fi angle of course, and I imagine that the 404 has better tech all around for truer reproductions of the original. Roland stuff is solid.

If you have a mixer with a RCA bus, it can actually be quite convenient to have that format on something that's going to be sampling on the fly while you jam.

• Members

Actually, I think the RCA cables are better than TRS jacks: more contact area between the jacks and plugs. XLR connectors are actually much closer in design to RCA than TRS. The TRS contact point is usually very small for the tip and ring.

Probably my thoughts come from the crappy RCA cables you see with consumer equipment (and I'm less thinking sound quality than the jack->wire joint screwing up, crackling, etc.).

Balanced outputs of course can't be achieved with RCA cables though. Of course, that's only an advantage in my studio with the Fireface. Live (which will be the primary use of this) it won't matter too much, there are RCA inputs after all on my Mackie mixer. :)

• Members

Nice.

...are you getting the Livewire AFG?

:love:

AFG.jpg

I was on the pre-order list, but then got a little impatient. I'll be picking one up when they go into normal production. (I don't really need a black and gold PCB.) :D Mike's modules are excellent (had a Dalek Modulator before.) I'm mostly building kits, and trying to design a module right now, so I have a bit more patience for pre-built items currently. :)

• Members

Very warm and wide sound. Sounds particularly nice through an analog elay line (of course, what doesnt sound good through analog delay?). I've been working with it for about 3 hours, and I can say I am starting to really dig it and get the hang of it. The knobs have great feel to them - playing the keys with one hand and the knobs with the other you can get very fine control. It would be wonderful to run this thing from a step sequencer.

Nice.

• Members

It may not look like much, but the UREI LA-12 is a sleeper deal and one of the nicest sounding compressors I've ever heard.

Took me a YEAR to find a second one - just scored from the 'bay.

urei_la12.jpg

Another ebay score - wasn't planned but I added a second Eventide 2016 to my studio for a lot less than MSRP.

eventide2016.jpg

Archived