August New-Gear Thread

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sweetness!!!
:love:
What do you think of the CS-80 filter? I know it's the MOTM filter, but I haven't been able to find any demos. I'd love to ruin my economy by putting eight of the little b*stards in my 8-voice.
:eek::cool:

This great lead was done using the CS80 filter... Great performance and sound, IMO. Sure made me lust for that filter.

Did you get the discrete Op-Amps, Niall? Hope you enjoy your CODE :)

I just made a payment for one of these:

midimini_l1.jpg

My girlfriend hates me at the moment... But she'll get over it :D

- CM

• Members

Hehe Just moved here about three months ago from Tampa, FL myself. You probably know the area better than I do!

-D

silicon valley-ness, awesome! Lockheed & Yahoo HQ are very close to the relocated Weird Stuff, where i invariably end up every now & again to try to find esoteric connectors for obsolete synthesizers.

idiotboy: did Cupertino ever have a GC or are you thinking Stevens Creek in San Jose?

• Members

People tell me the ATC-X and Omega have very similar circuitry (where the SE-1X doesn't).

The ATC, Omega and CODE have the same {"similar", according to SE} Source-like VCA. As with the ATC series, you can "minimidify" the CODE, adding the SE-1x's Mini-like VCA and switch to select it per voice on the Omega and CODE series for $159/voice.

I've never bothered pricing out a CODE with all the trimmings, but I expect that would be frightening in its expense.

• Members

I've considered that. I've read that it's a worthwhile upgrade, but I'd like to A/B first, if I can.

Just compare the individual outputs with the mixed stereo outputs. There is a slight fidelity difference, but it's nothing drastic. Still, I record all my mono leads using individual outs... Don't know how much the upgrade improves the sound though... And I still think it sounds lovely without those new op-amps.

- CM

• Members

xpander said:

...idiotboy: did Cupertino ever have a GC or are you thinking Stevens Creek in San Jose?...

Sorry, yeah, I meant the Stevens Creek GC. It's been nearly fifteen years since I lived there. Forgot it was SJ, not Cupertino. Is it still there? Is JJ's still there?

• Members

Thanks. Oh for the final summer, I see. What does it cost? The buy button gives me a 404.

Some of the DIY forums have discrete opamp kits, I think you could upgrade the CODE yourself fairly easily. I've built discrete opamps and its not particularly fun. I never A/Bed it in circuit against any ICs though.

• Members

Thanks. Oh for the final summer, I see. What does it cost? The buy button gives me a 404.

Site's {censored}ed. I guess they're doing what they can in the wake of some content management problems. I can't remember the exact price, but it was about 250 USD, give or take.

• Members

Been meaning to check out whether the old gear stores are still around, but haven't bothered, really. I was close to doing that when I was thinking about buying a bass a couple months ago, but then I rembraced synths. If given the option to pay less than retail and avoid sales tax, I'll take it every time.

I seem to recall Leo's being on the skids years back, but my memory's fuzzy. Only been there a couple of times as it is.

• Members

Hehe Just moved here about three months ago from Tampa, FL myself. You probably know the area better than I do!

-D

Leo's is still there, i go there from time-to-time to buy lavalier mic clips. it's really close to the home that is analogsynthservice.com where several of my keyboards have been fixed up. the GC in San Jos

• Members

I go to that GC on stevens creek sometimes, but have ended up leaving disappointed each time. It looks like there aren't any good stores for synth heads north of LA? Or do I just not know since I've only been here for some time?

there are in SF, but i buy everything online. craigslist SF is fantastic (as it should be), i've picked up a Mini, 2 OB-8s, a Mono/Poly, Pro One, RE-201, etc all from it.

• Members

there are in SF, but i buy everything online. craigslist SF is fantastic (as it should be), i've picked up a Mini, 2 OB-8s, a Mono/Poly, Pro One, RE-201, etc all from it.

Yeah I've also been seeing a number of vintage analogs being sold from Santa Cruz in the past few weeks.

I wish I knew a few places is SF though. Might be worth it to take the train up one of these days to try out gear I can't find anywhere but online. I have a caltrain station right by my house so it would be convenient.

-D

Archived