August New-Gear Thread

• Members
Congrats are hardly in order. I had the money and decided to spend it recklessly. I'm officially an unredeemed gear-whore. As if redemption was in the pipeline a few days ago.

Kudos for the great choice! :thu::thu::thu:

I was listening to Carey M's Omega 8 demos and {censored} my pants!

This Omega / Code thing is simply the best polyphonic sound, FAT like Oberheim OB-X, yet with additional filters and features. Exactly the same thing happened to other two friends when they heard demos. Instant jaw drop! I'm seriously considering Omega 6. Clusterchord might go with Code 8.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No Minimoog or modular stuff for you in the pipeline?

LOL! This is just the 6 voice version Z-1. Really dirt cheap. I just bought it to try it. Later its easy to add MOSS board, or sell it. As of MiniMoog, i've found one in LA for good price ... BUT... its casing is... split in two. :lol: I'd need to buy new synthwood, but that would end up in $3000 total. That kinda puts me off. I didn't gave for JP-8 that much, damn!

• Members

I had one years ago but had to sell it before going off to grad $kool. NIN basically sold me on getting another one. The only reason I listen to Year Zero is to wallow in the Sherman awesomeness that's all over it. The first time I listened to that album I was with a buddy of mine who had absolutely no idea why I kept saying, "Ahhh, Sherman."

The new rack version is so frickin awesome - solves the biggest problem with the desktop version: access to all those fabulous control options! :thu:

• Members

A couple of weekends ago I bought a Rocktron Banshee talkbox:

banshee.jpg

This thing is total fun and I run it in line with my Yamaha AN1x synth. I've made a monophonic sawtooth mono lead sound for use with the talkbox and suddenly I got More Bounce To The Ounce. When I don't need the talkbox, I just step on the switch and the AN1x's signal goes to the amp/monitors instead. Makes my band's shows more interesting, as I did a gig with it already. Just gotta remember to wash the damn thing out after each gig/rehearsal...I feel like a horn player, lol.

• Members

The power being on the front is the biggest drag, but I think I'll end up using the midi from the front for those bits of kit that I don't always hook up (might toy around with sequencing the POD from the MnM, for example). It's intended to have that modular spirit, after all. My new rack is open-frame, anyway, so I'm less concerned about cable management now.

If I remember its routing properly, having all the 1/4" jacks on the front is a huge advantage, since its signal path changes depending on what's plugged where.

We should have a bay area sherman party. Might trigger an earthquake, tho . . . :cop:

• Members

At times like this, I wish I were still down there.

I used to live in Sunnyvale m'sself, Swami. Corner of Remington and El Camino, over a shopping mall. Weird place but tres convenient. Used to shop at the Guitar Center in Cupertino. Quaffed a few brews at that blues bar across the street too...( think it was called "JJ's" ?)

I assume Lockheed is still open for business over at the "Blue Cube" ?

:poke: ;)

• Members

took the weekend to learn super collider. I have had it on my drive for a while but actually learning the beast has made it feel like a new instrument... I think my process of abandoning max/msp is complete. (and there was much rejoicing)

• Members
Four, each voice with MINI, SEM, 2600 and CS-80 filters.

Sweeeet mmmmm. :p (homer)

I almost bought one once just so I could have it side by side with the Sunsyn. Bet those filters set you back a pretty penny.

People tell me the ATC-X and Omega have very similar circuitry (where the SE-1X doesn't). But at the same time, SE does claim they're similar, but made to sound different.

Enjoy that beastie!

• Members
At times like this, I wish I were still down there.

I used to live in Sunnyvale m'sself, Swami. Corner of Remington and El Camino, over a shopping mall. Weird place but tres convenient. Used to shop at the Guitar Center in Cupertino. Quaffed a few brews at that blues bar across the street too...( think it was called "JJ's" ?)

I assume Lockheed is still open for business over at the "Blue Cube" ?

:poke:
;)

Hehe Just moved here about three months ago from Tampa, FL myself. You probably know the area better than I do!

-D

• Members
z1.jpg

Bought it just to finally test it.

The Z1 was my main keyboard for a long time and I really liked it. It can sound like a hardware version of NI Absynth.

One tip: to "warm" up the sound a bit, if you are going for analog-ish type sounds, the on-board EQ is helpful. Boosting the mid-highs does something to the filter curve that makes it sound more "real" to me.

• Members

The Z1 was my main keyboard for a long time and I really liked it. It can sound like a hardware version of NI Absynth.

I hope your words come true! :thu: Absynth is one of my favorite digital synths ever! :love: I was reading Z-1 manual and began to be afraid that its synthesis capabilities are a little bit too basic for my taste. As you can see in demo section, i prefer making more complex stuff in Absynth without using any samples. But i should first try the Z-1, then judge it.

If this really turns out close to Absynth... that will be my dream come true!

Archived