August New-Gear Thread

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ive always wanted to hear the new 2016 but witht the release of the lexicon PCM96, I never will. Just based of functionality though since it comes up as a plug in inside Protools...

I really really want a Bricasti....
:cry:

Eventide 2016 mp3 samples

I wouldn't waste $$$ on the PCM96 or new Lexicon products. When Lexicon was acquired by another company, the team that was responsible for the PCM and other landmark verbs were "let go". That team went on to create Bricasti.

• Members
I did a lot of research this weekend - I think these two, with the Rack 2X and the Motif, will keep me busy for a while!

You'll have no regrets, DLP. :) The mono is astoundingly deep, but also immediate. Don't neglect the VO+ machine.

Be warned: you'll want a machinedrum next. :evil::D:evil::D

:poke:

Guest Anonymous
Eventide 2016 mp3 samples

I wouldn't waste $$$ on the PCM96 or new Lexicon products. When Lexicon was acquired by another company, the team that was responsible for the PCM and other landmark verbs were "let go". That team went on to create Bricasti.

I've got a MPX-1, MPX-G2, PCM70 and PCM91 already and the PCM96 and 2016 are both on my want list. Maybe I should pick up a 2016 first and run it as a analog or digital insert inside of ProTools instead of worrying about the PCM96 firewire connectivity.

:idea:

• Members

Yeah ... nice one ...

Picked up these up today (two Yamaha HS80m; no sub) ... Looking forward to hearing them tomorrow with fresh ears ...

ishackimagebi0.jpgu12117262bg3.jpg

How important would you say is it to have bigger monitors like these one meter from the wall? (Right now they are just a few inches away ... I've used the various EQ controls on the back and the sound is good but ... )

Important enough to revamp the studio?

• Members

You'll be gone for days with the MnM once you get into it. Make it play all your other synths! Voyagers love it.

I was really hoping it would play nicely with the Voyager! I went back and forth a bit this weekend over getting a Select or something, given that I liked the Old School but lamented the lack of sequencer control - and ended up deciding to go with the rack version.

In fact, I'm probably going to try to get desktop versions of everything I can, in future. I'm content with the Motif as a master keyboard, and am finding that more than one actual set of keys has me second-guessing what I want to play/own in terms of physical attributes, rather than for their audio qualities. Better to have one control surface and many sound sources. For me, anyway.

• Members

Don't buy the BS my friend, The PCM96 is awesome and I would actually choose it before the Bricasti no question... For real work, its gonna KILL the Bricasti regardless of how the Bricasti sounds.

And the developers of the Bricasti weren't the only people at Lexicon.... I agree about EVERY other lexicon product but the 960 and 96 are awesome... Regardless of what people write on the internet! Talk to people who own and use one- youll get a completely different response.

I still choose to run a 300 and stereo PCM70s and get ZERO complaints... Its funny cause theres too much internet theory and not enough application. My mentor just had a very well known performer in to produce some sessions and they want him to mix at their facility (the suits who hired this guy to produce- brand new AWESOME facility). He replied that he wanted to mix with my mentor cause of his verbs. My mentor uses plug ins and a PCM96...

Its HOW you use the verb and I learned that skill KILLS an expensive box everytime. I have always gone NUTS for his verbs and we use the same plug in (and he KILLS me). Ive never heard ANYONE create better space than him. So it has NOTHING to do with the box and everything to do with the driver.

The performer is a VERY well respected musician and producer. And hes just one of the many fans of my mentors verbs... I'd bet my entire studio that my mentor with his plug and PCM96 could create better verb than anyone on this site with a stack of bricastis...!

That said I think the bricasti sounds absolute amazing! But driving a ferrari doesn't make you a #1 race car driver and guarantee winning races.

Thanks for posting the samples (seriously) but MP3s of reverb and tails is a horrible way to hear anything! MP3s destroy verbs! Kills the whole point! (and everything else good sonically... hehehe)

• Members

Important enough to revamp the studio?

Not if you dont hear any issues... I just moved my lsr28s 6 inches from the wall and they were a few FEET before. Its more dependent on the room response. If your room is treated, tuned, and shaped perfectly then yes away from the wall.

If not, all bets are OFF!

• Members
z1.jpg

Bought it just to finally test it. I don't expect miracles as i tried a lot of stuff already, and own a full physical modeling synth VL-1 and an acoustic modeling synth WSA-1. I was more curious. Was listening to the online demos, but they didn't show anything special....

until....

...i've heard a Z-1 demo by Suit & Tie Guy. His demo simply sounds AWESOME!!

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2006/10/korg-z1-demos-by-suit-tie-guy.html

Yes. This made me buy the Z-1.

• Members

Didnt i try and tell you all this about a year ago? :lol:

Congrats, im genuinly pleased you bought this synth.

Suit is the master of the Z1!

listen to 'Coloopstomy (in honour of Trent Keeling)'

http://www.suitandtieguy.com/sounds/stg_coloopstomy.mp3 about half way through...

He makes it sound just like a Juno (that Roland sound you seem to like?)

Archived