August New-Gear Thread

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

New gear this month:

A) One desktop Evolver to turn my Polyevolver rack into a five voice combo unit.

B) One Really Nice Compressor / Really Nice Levelling Amplifier combo unit, for fun with sound squashing.

C) One Roland SP-404, for live on-stage sample giggles (and sample loops that the Evolver hopefully can mutilate.)

D) One too-expensive Ploytec 34oneII pedal, so I can synchronize sequences to live tempo-fluctuating drummers.

• Members

Carbon said:

....Later this evening, the guts of my softsynth PC are going into a brand new 2U rack case I also just received:....

Cool. What's that bottom "ledge" part for? Looks like the tailgate on a pickup truck (?)

• Members

soundwavelove said:

...One Roland SP-404, for live on-stage sample giggles (and sample loops that the Evolver hopefully can mutilate.)....

I'm very interested in your opion on the 404--particularly, how does it make the samples sound? (just the un-effected sound)

• Members

I'm trying to decide between a SP404 and an MPC1000; which box do I want to load my drum samples into?

The 404 can play directly off the memory card, which is hot; the MPC can't but, the MPC might sound better...?? don't know?

:idk:

• Members

Word, it's Neutrik or nothing. I have two. The most solid feeling jacks evAr.

Just ordered a QuikLok 20 space rack thingy. Another rewiring session in my future, but at least this time I won't have to crawl into a cavernous SKB with a flashlight in my teeth, trying to make sure my cables are fully seated in the patch bays. :thu:

The next test of my character is whether I can resist ordering a KP3, or a T-Resonator. I kind of want both . . . and a Sherman . . . argh! the GAS! :cry:

• Members

Cool. What's that bottom "ledge" part for? Looks like the tailgate on a pickup truck (?)

It's a lockable cover...

2150SE-3.jpg

2150SE-1.jpg

2150SE-8.jpg

2150SE-6.jpg

It runs about $55.00 and allows you to use a regular PS instead of a low profile one...I got a PCI riser as well so I can still have 3 PCI cards if need be...I really only need one for the sound card.

It's good value for the cost:

http://www.plinkusa.net

• Members

I'm trying to decide between a SP404 and an MPC1000; which box do I want to load my drum samples into?

The 404 can play directly off the memory card, which is hot; the MPC can't but, the MPC might sound better...?? don't know?

:idk:

I leaned towards the 404 because I wanted sample-playback ability live but didn't really need the sequencing / MIDI command ability (which is what the MPC strength is).

If all you need is just sample playback, the SP-404 seems like (from all I can tell) the better solution. A lot quicker to get up and go. The MPC-1000 is the better all-around box, especially for producing sequences, but I use computers for that sort of thing.

• Members

Yeah, on paper, the 404 is the ideal solution for me.

I've just got this embarrassing "DJ snobbery" thing going--I look at those RCA jacks and the blinkety-blinky lights, and think to myself...."this 'ain't going to sound as good as the MPC..."

• Members

It runs about $55.00 and allows you to use a regular PS instead of a low profile one...I got a PCI riser as well so I can still have 3 PCI cards if need be...I really only need one for the sound card.

It's good value for the cost:

These horizontal cases are coming back, not just for racks. They're being made now to fit in with entertainment systems thanks to the nice 1080 res flat screens. This is where I'm heading eventually, hopefully before hockey season starts.

• Members

Its the fact that I can get an okay-quality ATX rack case for under $100 that amazes me.

I recently added a DVD-multimedia computer with a cute little micro-ITX case to our "entertainment center" - it plugs straight into the D-sub on my TV :eek: ...total outlay $250.00

Some days I don't know how I handle the "future shock". :lol:

• Members

Its the fact that I can get an okay-quality ATX rack case for under $100 that amazes me. Some days I don't know how I handle the "future shock".
:eek::lol:

Yeah, even 6 months ago when I was looking for one, they were 75 + 35 shipping. I eventually bought one used from feePay for $40.00 that was local and I picked it up. Mines a 4U, though.

• Members

If you ignore the rest of the room, it is.
;)

http://www.carbon111.com/photos/081208b.jpg

Seriously though, at this point I've only got ten synths (including modules) plus an upright piano:

...I do, however, have a couple things in the closet (Korg Lambda, Ensoniq VFX) though there are plenty more folks on this forum with a bigger setup than mine.

A Stage AND an Oasys? :confused:

You have issues. :facepalm:

:D

Archived