Poll: Do you use batteries in your pedals?

dkerwood

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the record, I HATE batteries. I only use them when I absolutely have to, which is once in a while. Using batteries means that I have to remove them when not in use, otherwise they inevitably drain out or explode - terribly wasteful, toxic pieces of {censored}.

Many of my vintage EHX pedals did not have a jack for an adaptor, but I purchased a bunch of onespot converters that allow for a 9v power supply.

The only pedals I have that sound better with a battery are my EHX Germanium OD, and my vintage Soul Preacher.

• Members

I put occasionally, because in the 8 years and 3 moves between using my pedals the adapters disappeared. One of the new to me pedals I just got has an adapter, so I use that one atm.

I don't really have a "pedal board" yet as I'm still working on ya know, being able to play anything at all. :lol:

• Members

{censored} yes I do.

I really try to avoid buying pedals that require a 9v power supply but don't allow you to use batteries. If I want to be "green" then I'll just run it with an adapter, but I don't need the builder to make that decision for me.

lol

• Members

{censored} yes I do.

I really try to avoid buying pedals that require a 9v power supply but don't allow you to use batteries. If I want to be "green" then I'll just run it with an adapter, but I don't need the builder to make that decision for me.

If you want to put it in that context almost all products make choices for you... at least if you plan to use them.

Why can't I run my pedals off crude oil??? for the love of god... why????

No wait, i want to run my pedals off baby seal pelts... yes yes yes!!!

• Members

If you want to put it in that context almost all products make choices for you... at least if you plan to use them.

Why can't I run my pedals off crude oil??? for the love of god... why????

No wait, i want to run my pedals off baby seal pelts... yes yes yes!!!

this post is exactly why i can't take people like you seriously. it's a {censored}ing battery. get off your high horse.

• Members

I don't use batteries for anything but one active guitar I have, and I don't buy more than two batteries a year for it. If I could somehow plug it in, I would. I don't like batteries. I've got a few GREAT sounding fuzzes that run just fine off of a 9V, I don't buy for a second that it can't be done or that fuzzes just sound better with batteries. So mark me down for "never" w/r/t pedals, and "as little as possible" with that one guitar.

Edit: Not like I'm living a battery-free life, though. You really can't. I don't like it but what the {censored} else can you do? My mouse has an internal lithium-ion, so does my cell phone, so does my e-reader, and I use 6 C-cell batteries at a time in my Vox DA5. At least the lithium rechargable devices have batteries that last a long damn time (I guess I could say the same for the Vox portable amp, it runs for friggin' ever, been at least seven months since I put batteries in it and I've played it for hours and hours on vacation or when the power's out in a storm).

• Members
this post is exactly why i can't take people like you seriously. it's a {censored}ing battery. get off your high horse.

:lol:

Just sat here where I am now I can see a TV remote, a gameboy advance, a torch, a smoke alarm, a clock, a watch and a remote control car, they all have batteries in. If I included items with rechargable batteries in it would be double that. :idk: I don't think 1 extra in my fuzz pedal is going to make much difference.

...and btw, I take all my batteries to the recycling and dispose of them correctly. :p

• Members
rlly?

on ALL fuzz, period?

or just yours?

What fuzz do u have btw?

All I mean by that is I think that it is perfectly possible to design fuzz pedals that sound great with an adapter and don't require a battery. A voltage control helps :thu:

My favorite fuzz pedals that I own are an Aramat Mojo Fuzz (NOS GE fuzz-face based pedal), ProTone Monster Fuzz ({censored}ed up destroyer of a big muff), and some FuzzHugger(fx) fuzzes. Tom doesn't even include a battery option, and his fuzzes sound fantastic. I also have one of the earlier Singing Tree pedals from MT, it's an Electra-type pedal I believe and it sounds great with an adapter. Oh, and a Catalinbread Hyperpak. Very similar to the Tube Sound Fuzz, though admittedly that isn't a very "fuzzy" fuzz to begin with. More of a fuzzerdrive or something.

I believe that some fuzzes DO sound better with batteries, or with dying batteries, but I think that it is by no means necessary for all fuzzes, and it in fact can be designed around.

I'm 95% power supply... I only use batteries on very rare occasions, and in general, I'd MUCH rather use a good adapter. I prefer the fact that it's generally less hassle - they tend to be less problematic and require less constant maintenance than batteries. They do better in terms of powering pedals with high current demands - man shall not live by fuzz alone. ;) And yeah, adapters are "greener" in terms of waste, heavy metals, etc. I prefer the tonal consistency of adapters too. You can always adjust / starve voltage if that's the sound you're after, but a battery will change as it's being used... like I said, I prefer the consistency of adapters. YMMV.

Archived