Poll: Do you use batteries in your pedals?

dkerwood

• Members

this post is exactly why i can't take people like you seriously. it's a {censored}ing battery. get off your high horse.

Well my post was somewhat facetious... so it wasn't really meant to be taken seriously. I just thought your consumer rage was comical... so I made fun of it.

Anyway, I only got on this high horse in hopes that I'd be able to reach far enough to knock you off yours, but where would the comedy be in that?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
...and btw, I take all my batteries to the recycling and dispose of them correctly.
:p

This is very responsible of you.
Where I live they have HazMat collection every three months. It's one day, usually on a weekend (but sometimes not)

HazMat includes everything from paint, monitors, florescent lamps, microwaves, printers, etc... so it's not just super poisonous chemicals. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, because half the time I'm already doing something else. I do a pretty good job of disposing of everything correctly, but you have to admit most people will just toss that stuff in the trash if they can get away with it.

• Members

Yes. Would I use them if I could afford PSUs? Absolutely not. I have one very cheap PSU that came with my old Zoom 505II, and I use it to power my DD-3. It's (the PSU) very noisy and dilapidated, but there really is no point running a delay on batteries. (IMO)

• Members

1. Install wind turbine and solar panels on your house.

2. Connect power adapter to wall outlet.

3. ?????

4. Profit.

:wave:

This would be brilliant for U2, what with the amount of hot air and light reflection (courtesy of his sunglasses) that Bono generates. :p

• Members

I used to use batteries exclusively, but I was spending so much money on them it just occurred to me to buy a cheap 9v adapter and been done with it. It's so much more reliable than a battery and I haven't looked back since.

• Members

Not if I can help it. I don't like worrying about unplugging patch cables after every gig or making sure something's got enough juice. I don't care much about how batteries apparently affect fuzzes and ODs.

• Members

I'd rather use a power supply for convenience sake, but I have around 7 or 8 pedals (inc. some vintage pedals and a few Colorsounds) which are battery only... (I know I could mod them.)

and quite often I find myself using just one pedal at a time so it makes sense to use a battery on those occasions.

• Members
I'd rather use a power supply for convenience sake, but I have around 7 or 8 pedals (inc. some vintage pedals and a few Colorsounds) which are battery only... (I know I could mod them.)

and quite often I find myself using just one pedal at a time so it makes sense to use a battery on those occasions.

I rarely mod vintage pedals for all the usual reasons. Give these a try if you feel the same way:

1SPOTCLIP.jpg

• Members
I rarely mod vintage pedals for all the usual reasons. Give these a try if you feel the same way:

:thu:

Yeah, I've not modded them yet (and probably won't) as, especially with the vintage pedals, I don't want to 'spoil' them.

I actually do have one of those converters, which I use sometimes...
the problem is that with most of my Colorsounds for example, there isn't a battery door or anything; you have to completely remove the baseplate - so in order to use one of those converters, I'd have to leave the baseplate off and would be concerned about dust etc. getting inside the pedal...

I keep meaning to contact Colorsound/Macaris to ask about the possibility of buying replacement bassplates (so I could keep the originals intact, then mod the new plates - basically like the Zvex Power Plates).

• Members
:thu:

Yeah, I've not modded them yet (and probably won't) as, especially with the vintage pedals, I don't want to 'spoil' them.

I actually do have one of those converters, which I use sometimes...

the problem is that with most of my Colorsounds for example, there isn't a battery door or anything; you have to completely remove the baseplate - so in order to use one of those converters, I'd have to leave the baseplate off and would be concerned about dust etc. getting inside the pedal...

I keep meaning to contact Colorsound/Macaris to ask about the possibility of buying replacement bassplates (so I could keep the originals intact, then mod the new plates - basically like the Zvex Power Plates).

The same problem exists with my old EHX treadle pedals. I committed the evil sin of drilling a small notch at the edge of the baseplate for the converter to fit. I suppose I shouldn't have done that for resale or historical purpose; but they weren't collector's condition to begin with, and I really have no intention of ever selling them anyways :D

• Members
The same problem exists with my old EHX treadle pedals.
I committed the evil sin of drilling a small notch at the edge of the baseplate for the converter to fit.
I suppose I shouldn't have done that for resale or historical purpose; but they weren't collector's condition to begin with, and I really have no intention of ever selling them anyways
:D

:cop:

:lol:

That would be the easiest thing for me to do...
and, like you, I have no intention of selling these pedals so resale value isn't a factor in preventing me from doing it...

but I just can't bring myself to take a drill to them... even with my old Tonebender, which has plenty of scratches, dents and rust-spots.

Archived