Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?

six acre lake

• Members

We've had more requests to bring the s/t TMAG demo out on vinyl than on CD. People really want vinyl...

Yeah for sure. I'm 100% more likely to buy vinyl from a band than a disc. Sure, it sucks for the band because you're out so much money all at once to get the things pressed but if you're playing to the right kinds of people you'll sell it super fast.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course they did. You already gave all your music away for free on the Internet. Why even bother carrying around the records. You've already decided they are worthless. Shame to because I would gladly pay for your record.

I see it a couple different ways. When I was in a band, we originally had it so people could only stream our music. Thus, our following was mostly friends of the band. Ok, I won't beat around the bush - it was all friends of the band (mine and the bassist were the ones that would come out to see us play). We then allowed people to download and distribute, and still didn't have that great of a recording up there to justify people buying it. Most of the early tunes we had were recorded in a basement. When we finally got to a "real" studio, we had the discussion of sharing some of the music vs. all, and then started looking into soundcloud and bandcamp. Part of the theory was we'll give away the first EP, charge money for shirts, and then when we've got a full length we'll charge for it. Try to build up a following through more than word-of-mouth (i.e. share the tunes vs. stream). I think the successful bands are the ones that can walk that tightrope. Granted, Radiohead has already made tons of money off of HCFX, but I'm sure when they started they were giving away tapes of their tunes to help get more gigs.

• Members

I live in Brooklyn and can't just go see Whores or Moms House Dads House or Ancient Mariner whenever I want. I would like to support these bands because I enjoy their music so I would buy it.

Artist have a hard time u derstand ding their worth and importance. Stop giving your creative endevours away.

All you had to do is say so, boo. I'll come up and play some in Brooklyn if you'd like.

• Members

Also SAL, here is just a little bit of info on me.

I had a {censored} of a time getting my current material out. These songs span over things I've written from 5 years ago. It was recorded almost 2-3 years ago, and took forever to finally get it.

I finally did, and since then, would have done things differently...but that's life, and I'm not going to waste what I've come up with now.

Like an earlier post...digital music is digital music. I provide links to my physical cds as well if someone wants. Both of my EPs are hand packaged/painted, and I take pride in that. The full length is packaged. If someone wants to buy, it's right there to do so. However, I certainly don't mind if someone who took the time to come out and see me live gets dibs on the physical cd, and getting more people online getting the digital versions vs physicals only mean that I have something tangible there to give that person at my show.

However, the next material I'm working on will not be for free. And it will not have a full album stream...atleast not in its entirety, maybe only sound clips. I plan on hitting it hopefully pretty hard.

• Members

no one on HCFX will ever make it past "cover band earning some money to go to the crocodile show with the family".

its a fact

all the good bands that are making money....theyre not sitting on their ass typing at some dumb forum....theyre out there rocking.

There are several bands on here doing great things... Will has toured all over with his old band Wolves in the Throne Room and I am sure his new band Indian will be no different.

Everyone is different I guess, when we record in January I will stream a couple of songs online for people to hear and then have a name your price option for an actual hard copy. If that goes well, I might even try to do a limited run similar to the stuff Canto XIII does (which btw is fantastic and his band Hail! Architeuthis is easily one of the best on these boards).

no one on HCFX will ever make it past "cover band earning some money to go to the crocodile show with the family".

its a fact

all the good bands that are making money....theyre not sitting on their ass typing at some dumb forum....theyre out there rocking.

My band makes money. I sit on my ass typing at some dumb forum. :idk:

• Members

It really is entirely dependant on circumstances. We let people download our EP for free on bandcamp in exchange for their email address because it's our first- we just want to get this one out there to as many people as possible and it's working. We give one bonus track on the download version and a different one on the physical copies we sell at gigs and that's enough incentive to get quite a few people to buy it. We've also had people give us a fair bit of money for the EP on bandcamp.

I'm sure that if we were to put a direct price on it that it wouldn't be circulating so quickly.

• Members

Here are my thoughts on this:

I agree that simply giving away downloads for free isn't the best idea. I also agree that fans cherish music and take it more seriously when they purchase it. But I also know that a lot of people, even though they may like your music, won't take that extra step to pull out the credit card and make the purchase.

I honestly believe that the name-your-price model is the best one for my situation (this may not be true for others). To me it's really the best of both worlds: fans can get the music for free if they want. Therefore, more people hear it. On the other hand, people like you SAL who appreciate music and want to support the musician(s) have the opportunity to do that as well.

I was skeptical at first, so the first album I put on Bandcamp I set at $7 per download. The next album I put up I thought I would try the name-your-price thing, just to see how it would work out. I was blown away, and as I said in my previous post, I actually made double on that album than I did for the one that was $7. And I had way more downloads.

I do have one album that is completely free to download, but that's only because they are one-take live songs that I did for YouTube videos. A lot of people wanted to download them, so I obliged. But since the sound quality is below what I would want a proper album to be, I thought that was the best way to go.

Now, I might be kind of a strange case here, because I have actually never played a show as the project for which I am selling these albums. And I do have the dream/goal of eventually doing music full time. So I'm really happy with the way things are going... I'm making descent money from album sales, and I'm also maximizing the access to my music for people who can't/don't pay for whatever reason.

And the funny thing is that since I've let my music go for "free", I've also seen an increase in sales in iTunes and Amazon, which I wasn't expecting. My guess is that "word is getting out" or whatever, and people would rather get music from wherever is comfortable and not some relatively unknown place like Bandcamp.

• Members

the stuff Canto XIII does (which btw is fantastic and his band Hail! Architeuthis is easily one of the best on these boards).

This thread is now about canto XIII.

I remember really liking his music. Maybe I should buy some right now.

• Members
I have mixed feelings about releasing whole albums for free on the internet. One the one hand, it can be an excellent marketing tool (see: Cloudkicker). On the other hand, it's basically admitting that your music is worth nothing. Not only that, but, at least to me, I'm immediately prejudiced towards a band that releases their music for free, for the same reason. My band went the free route with our first release and we're not going to do it again.

• Members

I defer to Trent Reznor on this issue.

Music is free the moment someone loads it onto their computer. That's the hard truth.

No one HAS to pay for it, and in many or even most cases, no one WILL pay for it. They no longer have to.

People can get into the ethics of filesharing until they're blue in the face, but it's an irrelevant discussion: You put it out there. It's now free. Deal with it.

Some bands understand that fact right off the bat. The decision to not charge is almost a symbolic one: they understand that you can get a free 320kb copy of any of their songs in about 10 minutes with even a half-hearted effort, so they don't make you even bother: they just give it to you.

The smart ones offer content that make it worthwhile to have, along with the free downloads.

• Members

I'm just curious about this seemingly counter intuitive marketing plan.

there is no such thing as a free lunch my friend. corporations give out free {censored} all time. if you knew anything about MARKETING. you'd know this strategy isn't counter-intuitive for a brand.

if you think it is 'counter-intuitive' no one stopping yr from selling yr (physical) record at whatever price you want to sell it at & you can sell yr computer file/MP3 at whatever online retailer you want to (bandcamp/beatport/itunes). the free market will dictate who will show interest in yr band. & whom is willing to pay for it.

• Members

I would assume if you liked what was on my myspace / bandcamp etc you would buy it. That's what I do. I buy records by bands I enjoy.

Right people do still buy songs they like. My point is you're going to get your music out to more people if they don't have to get their credit card out to purchase something, thats all. Its a retarded concept that if you charge money more people download it. If I release an mp3 ripper program, am I going to get more downloads/users charging $15 or for free?

Im not against charging money I'm just telling you why some bands would release their music for free.

• Members

If I see a band giving away free music, I don't even give them a second thought.

So thats you're criteria? You don't form an opinion of the music or read other reviews to at least give you some idea of the music? You just automatically look to see if its free or not?

Are you that way with software as well? A company like AVG releases a free antivirus program that has great reviews, you're not give them a second thought because its free? How about free RAR extractors? Is that off limit as well?

Sorry but the concept of "if its free it must suck and not worth my time" is idiotic.

• Members

Personally I think giving away free demos or E.Ps makes more sense than full albums.

I mean sure, everyone wants to hear a bit of a band for free to decide if they like them or not. Thats how you get fans.

But for someone to want to listen to 12 tracks from start to finish means theyre in it for the long haul. Of all the free albums I've seen given away on this forum and elsewhere I've never by song 2 thought to myself "you know, I'm not enjoying this, but I'll spend an hour of my time listening to it the whole way through just becasue its free"

The kind of person who wants to hear your whole album is the kind of person who wouldnt mind paying you for it. Particularly if they know you're a small band and not a huge faceless label act (besides, if you're small finding a torrent of your {censored} is probably more effort than clicking the itunes link)

• Members

If you're making music just to make cash, that should be a no no sign. Who wants to pay to hear some kid in his bedroom making some music?

um. obviously you haven't heard of Wavves. & trust me. if you ever get on Wavves level quality-wise. maybe i'll pay attention to what you make.

um. obviously you haven't heard of Wavves. & trust me. if you ever get on Wavves level quality-wise. maybe i'll pay attention to what you make.

hahahahah

Archived