Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?

six acre lake

• Members

You musicians are your own worst enemy!

I've never given away a damn thing for free even when I was starting out. And I've found plenty of people willing to pony up even the smallest of chump change for my CD. I place value on the work I produce, the gigs I put on and the performance I give. If you don't want to pay, then enjoy the open mic night with 38 terrible acoustic guitarists singing about feelings.

You will find that if someone pays even a small amount for your CD, it stands FAR MORE chance of being listened to. Whatever you hand out for free will most likely never ever see a CD Player.

Never suggest someone doesn't have to pay you. What they get for free they will later demand as a right.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That is the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard.
:facepalm:

You're telling me people don't download free software? Explain to me why free music is worthless an free software is not(on an unconscious level)?

I think musicians have to get off their high horse. You're not saving the world, its just music. If some guy can spend time writing a great program and distribute it for free then the same can be said for a band and their music.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. At all. In any way shape or form.

It's not a theory, it's the truth.

I've downloaded quick-fix shareware software before. Either to add gain to some mp3s I'm taking to the gym or to try and rescue a file off a decaying hard disk. I can tell you that software stayed on my drive for little more than a single try. After that, gone. Worthless? You bet.

Still though, I know you'll never see the light. You carry on giving your music away for free, I'm sure it's worth every penny :D

• Members

SAL, I'm going to PAY for a trip to your town so we can drink some beers and record a SPLIT

This is a fabulous idea. In turn I will Pay to travel to your town and drink beers and record a split. You should give me a call and we should start planning the details now as I start The Avengers in November and I need to schedule my time off...

Based on many of the conversations here I won't expect to many HCFXers shelling out for a copy, even if they like it since you know... Stuff...

• Members
That is the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard.
:facepalm:

You're telling me people don't download free software? Explain to me why free music is worthless an free software is not(on an unconscious level)?

I think musicians have to get off their high horse. You're not saving the world, its just music. If some guy can spend time writing a great program and distribute it for free then the same can be said for a band and their music.

By that logic, let's just abandon money altogether and do everything for free :thu::facepalm:

• Members
I've downloaded quick-fix shareware software before. Either to add gain to some mp3s I'm taking to the gym or to try and rescue a file off a decaying hard disk. I can tell you that software stayed on my drive for little more than a single try. After that, gone. Worthless? You bet.

So because you downloaded quick-fix shareware software before and didn't have luck with it that means free software is crap? You research the software first? Reviews?

Still though, I know you'll never see the light. You carry on giving your music away for free, I'm sure it's worth every penny
:D

Im sure yours is as well. Most big artists post on this forum :thu:

• Members

Here in Puerto Rico is no different to many things you guys have stated.

I have been playing for many years. When I started my project, it was the time that cassettes were still an option along with cds. I used to make the copies myself with some decks I had and label them, print covers, etc. I used to take them to the shows, and sell them and people bought just to hear something new.

Now with the mighty web, is getting very difficult to move cds. Last split we did, it was all download cards, no physical copies and at 5.00, people still were complaining.

We are going to record a new album now, 9 or 20 songs and I really dont know what to do with it in terms of "getting it out".

Lucky for us, this time we are not paying for studio time.

It is rough times for revenue on music sales...

• Members

This is just a question to lay out there:

Pertaining obviously to giving music out for free...is this directed towards those which only means is giving it out for free?

Reason I ask is this.

It seems there are 2 schools of thought mainly and little bits leaning toward one side or another in between.

1) There are people who will not get free music...they will pay for it.

2) There are people who will not pay for music without hearing it first.

Basically I'd think in the general market, I wouldn't have the money or time to put into advertising to other places than US and possibly some European places.

Most likely I'd be marketing locally, or around markets whose genre is similar.

Now reason I ask is because I have people who have downloaded my music from Japan, Ireland, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Ukraine, Thailand, Singapore, Poland, Netherlands, Lithuania, Italy, Germany, France, Denmark, Bosnia, Belgium, Dominican Republic, Hong Kong, Russia, England, Australia, US, Canada...lots of places I don't think I'd reach if it wasn't downloadable for a pay what you want.

However...I do HAVE physical copies of all my material. They are available in person, and they are available on posted webstores as well. Through only one medium is my music possible to grab for free, and that's bandcamp. Last.fm - listen only. Myspace - listen only. Facebook - listen only. Reverbnation - listen only. Ilike - listen only. Sonicbids - listen only.

Actually, I have two bandcamps, one that was under Brian Beyke before switched over to Ancient Mariner, and those albums are not free there either. I mainly put AM's bandcamp up for free to get some of the music out there under the new name, since it was basically starting from scratch with 3 albums.

I'm not arguing one over the other here. Just asking, if not hitting both sides does not yield fruitful results?

I'd hope so. I mean...I've walked away from a solo show where people have come up to me and told me how far they drove just to see me play. That's a little crazy to me. I could understand it if it was one of the bands...it's a little bit more grasping of a project...but for someone to have heard about me online, download my eps, drive 8 hours to see me play, come and tell me about that, and buy all three of my cds...that's pretty cool.

• Members

By the way, it's interestng that nobody has mentioned yet the studio musicians.. These guys live from making music as a profession.

It's like photographers, most of them live from weddings and stock photo.. But I guess everyone around here wants to be recongized as an artist, and paid for life for 6 songs you wrote to your ex.

I'm not sure about for other countries, or other people's experience for that matter, but in my experience session musicians are ususally paid up front and the unions ensure they're getting a decent fee (sometimes unjustly so).

If they wish to go on a percentage, then that's their decision, but I've not met any who choose to go down that road.

• Members

Thats fine. I do as well.

I also use tons of free software that is really good.

Yet I bet you're the first to complain when someone introduces splash screens asking you to buy, or DRM on game titles to protect their property.

If I'm paying for software, I'll certainly read reviews. If it's free, it's disposable. If it's disposable, it's worthless. Would you pay for a used nappy?

• Members

Here in Puerto Rico is no different to many things you guys have stated.

I have been playing for many years. When I started my project, it was the time that cassettes were still an option along with cds. I used to make the copies myself with some decks I had and label them, print covers, etc. I used to take them to the shows, and sell them and people bought just to hear something new.

Now with the mighty web, is getting very difficult to move cds. Last split we did, it was all download cards, no physical copies and at 5.00, people still were complaining.

We are going to record a new album now, 9 or 20 songs and I really dont know what to do with it in terms of "getting it out".

Lucky for us, this time we are not paying for studio time.

It is rough times for revenue on music sales...

LOL - I can sympathise! The first demo I ever put out was on TDK tapes I bought from Argos,

Archived