Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?

six acre lake

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen so many folks here just give their music away for free by offering free downloads etc.

Assuming you and your band spent time and money to make a record wouldnt you want an opportunity to recoup some costs?

Selling your record and other mer h is a great way for a band to make a little scratch. If your record is available for free though what is the incentive for folks to buy the real thing?

I'm just curious about this seemingly counter intuitive marketing plan.

I haven't read the entire thread, but do you think an undesirable (to you or anyone else) precedent is being set by people who distribute their music for free?

• Members

The profundity of the point you're making just blew my mind.

was it too hard to understand ?

i dont think anyone here lives of their music, so small money dont really mean anything anyways....id rather give the music away for free than make a buck here and there.

was it too hard to understand ?

Yes. Seriously, I'm on the phone with my therapist right now, trying to sort this all out.

• Members

Face it, it you're just starting out, the chances that someone across the country/world would suddenly buy your album anyways is slim to none. if you give it away and people dig it, they may buy it to support you (which they wouldn't have done if they didn't get the free download), or at least come out to see a show. Those that download but don't buy were never going to buy it anyways, it's not a lost sale, it's another listener. and maybe some other merch sold down the line...

• Members

Here is the one that pisses me off the most is i send demo CD's to perspective clients..We sell the same CD's at our shows for $8..The only difference is the freebies are marked demo..
So i go into the used CD store and in the local favorite section there are 3 demo copies selling for $15 each which means some one is making money off of our band that had nothing to do with the process what so ever..

• Members

The profundity of the point you're making just blew my mind.

I haven't read the entire thread, but do you think an undesirable (to you or anyone else) precedent is being set by people who distribute their music for free?

I would love to respond to this. When I sit down at my laptop I'll break it down.

• Members

aren't you supposed to make fun of my comprehension skills ???

There has been a lot of implication being thrown around this thread and I suppose it might be a little my fault for not busting out a TL/DR manifesto from my first post and a little bit the SAL hate squad who jump down my {censored} whenever... Which i understand cause I hate at times myself.

I have very serious thoughts about the matter of artists understanding their value in society and its worth. Artists standing up for themselves and not giving away what in reality keeps the world turning.

• Members

I buy music if I like it, but I always ALWAYS download it for free first to make sure it's not a load of {censored}. i don't want to waste my money on {censored} music.

I know a lot of more oldschool people than myself will talk about the good old days of buying records based on recommendation, or buying records just because they're on a particular record label etc etc etc, but times have changed and music lovers are a lot more lucky now than you guys were back then.

When my band is ready to record and release an EP, I will for sure put it up for download as a 'pay what you like' release. Or perhaps even a 100% free download with an honestly box paypal account so people can pay us for it if they downloaded it and think it's good enough.

I wouldn't want someone to have paid for my music and then realise they don't like it.

The thing with 30 second previews on Amazon is, what if they 30 seconds you hear is the best 30 seconds of an otherwise incredibly dull song? There are a billion songs out there with a cool intro or bridge, where the rest of the song sucks ass.

Admittedly though, I will never make music for a living. I don't want to make music for a living, it's purely for the love of music.

• Members

So there ia a question here: How important is to make money from music to you?

Seems that those that see themselves as an "artist" insist on being paid for their "creations" . But the Market no longer pays for that..

For these that see music as a hobby for the soul, but get their income from somewhere else, is easier to them to give it for free, so people will listen. Strangely enough this approach is working better today, as nobody buys CDs anymore but still people is willing to go to live concerts. So live shows is where the remaining money is left.. And you have to be good to keep people comming!

I kind of like this second approach.. People will be free again to play whatever they want to, no strings attached to record companies or a bull{censored} pop market.

There is a fundamental flaw in this logic, in that in order to seriously tour full time, you cannot hold a steady job.

In this town, no one really cares about your band until you have gone elsewhere and proved yourself.

So there's that.

• Members
to have paid for my music and then realise they don't like it.

The thing with 30 second previews on Amazon is, what if they 30 seconds you hear is the best 30 seconds of an otherwise incredibly dull song? There are a billion songs out there with a cool intro or bridge, where the rest of the song sucks ass.

A friend of mine have just put a song on iTunes. The preview contains no vocals. Otherwise, it's promising! :lol:

• Members

There is a fundamental flaw in this logic, in that in order to seriously tour full time, you cannot hold a steady job.

In this town, no one really cares about your band until you have gone elsewhere and proved yourself.

So there's that.

yap, interesting that in a "global" world music is going to be mostly on regional scenes..

• Members

Also, it's interesting to see people having the view that if you give your music away for free, either you feel it isn't worth anything yourself, or your audience automatically subconsciously think it's not worth anything either.

I say this because any 'item' only has a worth to those who need/use/enjoy it. With the example of music, I don't think it is the artist's place to to decide whether their music is worth anything or not. I wouldn't personally be comfortable calling my music art at all, either - that's not my place to decide.

Take the example of Tracey Emin - she created a piece of 'art' which was basically a cheap tent which she'd sewn little patches onto, and each patch had the name of a person she'd had sex with. Is it art? Does it have a worth? I personally would argue that it's contrived {censored}, about as far removed from real art as I can imagine, and I value it at less than zero. Other people have found that particular piece interesting, thought provoking, enjoyable, and I'm sure would pay many thousands of pounds to own it. It's all good, we're all entitled to our opinions on art. But I still value it at less than zero *to me*.

Same again for second hand goods. Just because you bought a guitar for

• Members

By the way, it's interestng that nobody has mentioned yet the studio musicians.. These guys live from making music as a profession.

It's like photographers, most of them live from weddings and stock photo.. But I guess everyone around here wants to be recongized as an artist, and paid for life for 6 songs you wrote to your ex.

• Members

'If music doesn't get bought then music doesn't get made'

This, or words to that effect was from an interview with Oceansize that i read some time ago. Their point being that if we don't buy their albums then they won't be able to make more in the future.

Most people here are nowhere near their level and are for the most part bedroom players or bands trying hard to get to the same level as Oceansize or beyond.

You may give your music away for free now but if you're lucky enough to have some success as they have then you'll need people to buy your music if you hope to carry on doing that for any length of time.

• Members
I refuse to read pages 2-6.

If you give something away for free, people may make the unconscious, or conscious for that matter, association that what you are giving them is worthless.

That is the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard. :facepalm:

You're telling me people don't download free software? Explain to me why free music is worthless an free software is not(on an unconscious level)?

I think musicians have to get off their high horse. You're not saving the world, its just music. If some guy can spend time writing a great program and distribute it for free then the same can be said for a band and their music.

• Members
That is the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard.
:facepalm:

You're telling me people don't download free software? Explain to me why free music is worthless an free software is not(on an unconscious level)?

I think musicians have to get off their high horse. You're not saving the world, its just music. If some guy can spend time writing a great program and distribute it for free then the same can be said for a band and their music.

It's not "just music". I pay for my music just like I pay for my software.

Archived