Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?

six acre lake

• Members

I have seen so many folks here just give their music away for free by offering free downloads etc.

Assuming you and your band spent time and money to make a record wouldnt you want an opportunity to recoup some costs?

Selling your record and other mer h is a great way for a band to make a little scratch. If your record is available for free though what is the incentive for folks to buy the real thing?

I'm just curious about this seemingly counter intuitive marketing plan.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometimes, it's difficult to get people to even download something that doesn't cost them anything, let alone pay any money for it. You have boxes of CDs in your room or practice space, gathering dusk, because no one wants to spend $5 or $10 on a band they haven't heard of before (for some reason).

Most small fry musicians like you and me are desperate and just want anyone to hear it.

It's harshing my mellow, bro.

• Members

At the level my band are at it's about getting the name and the music out there. As long as people come to the shows I don't care if they got it for free off Bandcamp- the important thing is that they got it and they've made enough of a connection with it to want to come and see us.

• Members

Assuming you and your band spent time and money to make a record wouldnt you want an opportunity to recoup some costs?

Who says anyone is going to pay for you're music? You're making the assuption a band has a following that is willing to pay for their music in 2010.

f your record is available for free though what is the incentive for folks to buy the real thing?

There is none.

I'm just curious about this seemingly counter intuitive marketing plan.

If you don't have an audience then giving away you're music is probably a better way to build one than not to.

• Members

If your record is available for free though what is the incentive for folks to buy the real thing?

People will always pay to come out to see their favorite artist live (at least for now).

If music is basically free these days, consider it a form of advertisement for the live shows if it's the money you're in it for?

• Members

I think albums are better for promoting other things the band is selling than being the product itself. Kind of like how music videos were the promotion for the album, now the album itself is like the promotion for the live act.

I wonder what show attendance rates look like in the past couple years compared to earlier, pre-internet-exploder times.

• Members

At the level my band are at it's about getting the name and the music out there. As long as people come to the shows I don't care if they got it for free off Bandcamp- the important thing is that they got it and they've made enough of a connection with it to want to come and see us.

So let's just say I come to your show and pay a door charge. Then the venue takes a cut and argues with a band about paying them at all.

I regards to no one buying music... If you are not willing to pay for it, thus supporting / funding it, you are simply not a fan of music. The arts of all kinds need support and who better to throw it a couple buck but those enjoying / participate in it.

• Members

We give all of our music away via download, but work hard at packaging and incentives to buy a hard copy.

We released a cassette tape this week and are releasing a cd next month. Both feature hand-drawn parts and are limited edition, hand numbered. The CD will come with a mini 'zine' as well.

I guess we're just a bunch of collector nerds. We make money playing shows and selling shirts.

Just my 2

• Members

because it's not worth money

This for me.

Of course I'd love some bread for the music I make.

However, I know personally that I didn't go into a professional studio, and that the sound of my product isn't as good as it should be for someone to actually shell out money for.

Now, if I was in something for more money, and had a legit, sold release to give them, then it wouldn't be free.

Plus, I give it out free on the internet, where an entire world of people can grab. When at a show, it isn't free, and I can keep my stock of merch for those purposes, because they buy it there.

• Members

So let's just say I come to your show and pay a door charge. Then the venue takes a cut and argues with a band about paying them at all.

I regards to no one buying music... If you are not willing to pay for it, thus supporting / funding it, you are simply not a fan of music. The arts of all kinds need support and who better to throw it a couple buck but those enjoying / participate in it.

I feel like when people talk about "supporting" music, it's with the same tone used to talk about supporting inner city children, supporting AIDS treatment research, supporting peace in the Middle East, et al

What a magical world it would be if the demand for music was as such that people would be happy to see and hear music, as opposed to lending it their charity periodically.

• Members

Who says anyone is going to pay for you're music? You're making the assuption a band has a following that is willing to pay for their music in 2010.

There is none.

If you don't have an audience then giving away you're music is probably a better way to build one than not to.

I would assume if you liked what was on my myspace / bandcamp etc you would buy it. That's what I do. I buy records by bands I enjoy.

I do not make music to make money. I enjoy making art and it costs money. I want to make the best possible re ord / paintings I can. Sometimes that requires spending a little scratch. Selling the record / merch / paintings etc is a way to not only a way to help recoup the creation costs but it also encourages the creation of more art.

Archived