OT: What are some awesome older movies?

Bill Cosby

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Dirty Harry last night.

Awesome movie.

Maybe some westerns?

I actually enjoyed all of the Inspector Callahan movies.

As far as westerns, the Eastwood movies are mostly pretty good. The classic is, IMHO, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. Great movie. :phil:

Also, check out Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. It's one of my favorite movies; the cinematography is exceptional.

Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman is also exceptional.

It wouldn't be right to discuss westerns and not mention The Duke. John Wayne was in a lot of great films. True Grit would be good to see - especially BEFORE seeing the Jeff Bridges remake that is coming out soon. The Searchers is also a a great John Wayne movie; probably director John Ford's finest masterpiece.

• Members
Something Wild
, Body Double, Body Heat, Platoon, Shogun Assasin, Quest for Fire, Uncommon Valor, Shallow Grave, Rivers Edge, and for a laugh - The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2 - The Metal Years

Keep in mind that I have not seen some of these since I was in my teens so YMMV.

'Something Wild' is a great film... very funny and off the wall.... oh and the sexy bit in the motel .. woah Melanie!!

... when I was at High School we all loved a film called 'The Sure Thing' or 'Sure Thing' I can't exactly remember what it was about... girls and drinking probably. :lol:

7 samuri is a LONG movie, but worth it

Yup - a true classic. And even though it's "Eastern", it's very "western", or at least influential on westerns.

Speaking of movies that are adaptations of Seven Samuri, check out The Magnificent Seven. Any movie with Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, James Coburn and Charles Bronson in it can't be all bad - and this one rules. :)

• Members
'Something Wild' is a great film... very funny and off the wall.... oh and the sexy bit in the motel .. woah Melanie!!

... when I was at High School we all loved a film called 'The Sure Thing' or 'Sure Thing' I can't exactly remember what it was about... girls and drinking probably.
:lol:

It stars a very young and phsychotic Ray Liotta.

• Members

... when I was at High School we all loved a film called 'The Sure Thing' or 'Sure Thing' I can't exactly remember what it was about... girls and drinking probably.
:lol:

the sure thing with john cusack. classic.

sure.jpg

sure_thing.jpg

• Members

Thief, Michael Mann's first film, and his mid '90s classic Heat.

The Spy Who Loved Me, which is the pinnacle of Roger Moore's run as Bond. For Your Eyes Only is worth a look as well.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which I think is underrated.

The Streetfighter. Probably the best of the Sonny Chiba stuff in English. Not to be confused with the films based on the video game franchise.

Archived