OT: Whats so cool about Vinyl anyway?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
nostalgiagoggles.png

But seriously, this:
Sitting down to listen to a vinyl LP is like grinding your own coffee beans and brewing them in a French press, then having an actual cup ( not a 16 oz disposible) and savoring it.

Does it really taste any better than the pre-ground stuff from an automatic brewer in a Starbucks paper cup?

That is purely subjective.

is probably it. It's a subjective thing that changes your attitude towards listening to music.

• Members

Sound quality is theoretically superior to CD, but it is rarely noticable.

For new vinyl/cd combo releases, oftentime the masters share the same digital bottleneck (which renders the point moot), or the same production choices (like compression, reducing dynamic range).

It's not clear-cut. Sometimes a vinyl version of an album will sound better. Other times not. If comparing two different albums, often the sound differences have little to do with the medium and more to do with the production.

I sometimes buy vinyl, but moreso if there's kickass artwork involved or to really support a musician/band I like. It gets ripped to OGG in the end anyway.

• Members

One feature that cannot be emulated on any other medium? Locked loops. Ending songs with a sound repeating forever is so choice. Or a "locked loop" record with lots of infinite drones and beats? As a DJ in a former life, I just loved that infinite secret. You mean you didn't know?

the Liars album 'They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top' has a loop at the end of it, I listened to it for ages and ages one day before I realised. :lol:

with regard to the question about vinyl........ 'if you have to ask' is all I can think of as an answer.

• Members

I like vinyl better because as a kid I would listen to things and look at the artwork and get lost in it. Same thing with tapes. Cds were ok, but then once the mp3 format got big that got lost because you didn't have a physical thing to hold. sure, you can make cds of your downloaded mp3s but it's not the same. I like vinyl because it's something I can sit down with and listen to and see how the band put their hard work into it. I will still buy a cd if it's not available on vinyl and it's not some burned copy with a sharpie scribble on it. I like the packaging. To me that's just as important as the music.

Plus colored vinyl is purty!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZOD4bI_r66hZlTuZY3IF

And for the cassette thing. My band just did a hundred copies on cassette. They sold out ten times faster than the same release on cd. Not sure why, though. We're planning on doing vinyl and tape only releases, all DIY and handmade artwork and packaging. I feel like doing that instead of a burned cd gives your money's worth.

• Members

Saying one format is "better" than another is a bit ridiculous. The differences in mastering for vinyl versus digital alone objective comparisons impossible. Ever take a look at the RIAA curve?

I don't own a CD player--except in the car and I guess the drive on my computer--and tend to either listen to vinyl or mp3s on my iPod. But I grew up on vinyl and got my first turntable handed down to me when I was five years old.

I think that certain music lends itself better to certain formats. There is a lot of music out there that was specifically done with vinyl in mind as far as song sequences and other considerations. In those cases, you can lose some of the experience when you listen digitally. You can lose some of the impact of side changes and you lose little gimmicks like the inner groove on Sgt. Pepper.

On the other hand, there is also a lot of music out there that was specifically done with digital formats in mind or without any format in mind. There's loads of electronic music from the 1990s especially that takes full advantage of the length available on CDs. When you press this stuff to vinyl and have to flip sides, you lose some of the flow. The same can be said of a lot of classical music. Nothing annoyed me more in my younger days than listening to a symphony and having to flip sides in the middle of a movement.

Since vinyl is making a comeback, I'd like to see more artists creatively thinking about releasing things in both analog and digital formats. I love when someone like Modeselektor releases an album on vinyl that is markedly different than the digital version.

• Members

Saying one format is "better" than another is a bit ridiculous. The differences in mastering for vinyl versus digital alone objective comparisons impossible. Ever take a look at the RIAA curve?

I don't own a CD player--except in the car and I guess the drive on my computer--and tend to either listen to vinyl or mp3s on my iPod. But I grew up on vinyl and got my first turntable handed down to me when I was five years old.

I think that certain music lends itself better to certain formats. There is a lot of music out there that was specifically done with vinyl in mind as far as song sequences and other considerations. In those cases, you can lose some of the experience when you listen digitally. You can lose some of the impact of side changes and you lose little gimmicks like the inner groove on
Sgt. Pepper

On the other hand, there is also a lot of music out there that was specifically done with digital formats in mind or without any format in mind. There's loads of electronic music from the 1990s especially that takes full advantage of the length available on CDs. When you press this stuff to vinyl and have to flip sides, you lose some of the flow. The same can be said of a lot of classical music. Nothing annoyed me more in my younger days than listening to a symphony and having to flip sides in the middle of a movement.

Since vinyl is making a comeback, I'd like to see more artists creatively thinking about releasing things in both analog and digital formats. I love when someone like Modeselektor releases an album on vinyl that is markedly different than the digital version.

I like this post

• Members

I like vinyl better because as a kid I would listen to things and look at the artwork and get lost in it. Same thing with tapes. Cds were ok, but then once the mp3 format got big that got lost because you didn't have a physical thing to hold. sure, you can make cds of your downloaded mp3s but it's not the same. I like vinyl because it's something I can sit down with and listen to and see how the band put their hard work into it. I will still buy a cd if it's not available on vinyl and it's not some burned copy with a sharpie scribble on it. I like the packaging. To me that's just as important as the music.

Plus colored vinyl is purty!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZOD4bI_r66hZlTuZY3IF

And for the cassette thing. My band just did a hundred copies on cassette. They sold out ten times faster than the same release on cd. Not sure why, though. We're planning on doing vinyl and tape only releases, all DIY and handmade artwork and packaging. I feel like doing that instead of a burned cd gives your money's worth.

What release is that?

• Members

When is a cool record is $15 with free MP3, its a pretty much a no brainer for me... but all this new stuff with the 21.98 price tag, or the "Hey this album was designed with CD in mind and it is freaking epic so we pressed it onto two LPs" crap for $27.98 just annoys me. Especially at the economies of scale large companies can make vinyl, it shouldnt be that expensive

i like it when little labels have like $12 records, that is tight

• Members

Quietly by Mouth of the Architect. I don't know if it was specifically for their tour or not but I bought it from them at their show.

That's cool. I enjoyed seeing Mouth Of the Architect last time they were here. Not sure if they've been to Boston since then (2-3 years ago?).

• Members

It's the experience for me. It keeps my attention.

It's too easy to press play in itunes, or whatever, and get distracted by anything else.

With vinyl it's it takes more effort. You really have to want to listen to whatever you put on. And {censored}, if you want to listen to the whole thing you have to get up off your ass to get to side two.

I like that.

Basically this for me.

Also the sound. But I guess we're not talking about that.

I was listening to Carless Whispers on vinyl and my roommate said it sounded 10 times better than it did on his computer.

• Members

When is a cool record is $15 with free MP3, its a pretty much a no brainer for me... but all this new stuff with the 21.98 price tag, or the "Hey this album was designed with CD in mind and it is freaking epic so we pressed it onto two LPs" crap for $27.98 just annoys me. Especially at the economies of scale large companies can make vinyl, it shouldnt be that expensive

i like it when little labels have like $12 records, that is tight

agreed, I stuck with LP's as long as I did because they were cheaper than CD's and I had a good set up for playing records.. so I didn't see much point in switching to anything else... some of the prices these days are a complete piss-take and CD's are so cheap I usually end up buying more CD's these days which I can buy regularly for 99p on ebay.

• Members

i don't give a {censored} what anyone says. i have plenty of albums that own both on mp3 and vinyl, and if i listen to them back to back, the vinyl sounds better, no question. i admit i have a nostalgic attachment to vinyl and am biased, but i honestly didn't expect to find as much difference as i have in the sound quality. and i have a {censored}ty record player. someone may be able to explain on paper why this is not true, but my own experience doesn't lie, for me.

and, i have always liked the idea of an album being a tangible, multi-faceted thing. the presentation, the artwork, the lyric sheet or whatever is written inside, dedications- all of that is a really important part of the experience for me. and being able to have all of that and the music itself as a thing i can hold and look at and touch is really important. that's being lost with mp3's and i'm bummed about it. i've always loved that. it was bad enough with cd's when all of that got really small and started to seem secondary, but now it's just gone. i think if a band isn't going to put the kind of care and effort into their albums to create that sort of holistic experience, then i'm not going to bother buying it. i just can't bring myself to pay for mp3's. you're not getting anything. i use mp3's. i have an ipod for the car or for work or whatever and it's really convenient. but if i'm going to buy an album, i only buy vinyl. and i try to do that whenever possible, because i think it's important to support bands and small labels. but cd's are {censored}. they're not durable. even if i take good care of them, i find that somehow they're {censored}ing up after a while. i have records that i've had for twenty years that still play perfectly.

• Members

The artwork and all that stuff is great, but let's be realistic. Most of the time people are listening to music on the go, and it's not really feasible to browse artwork while you're driving, or working, or at the gym, etc. I love my vinyl and it's great when I have some peace and quiet and am able to experience it that way, but most of the time I need a convenient format, which is why iPods/mp3s are great too. I'm like you misterstomach, vinyl is the only physical medium I will buy because I found that I'd buy a CD, rip it, and it would just sit on the shelf after that.

• Members

I still like buying records because I still like the "object" and the ritual of using the turntable. For me it makes listening less casual - I don't really like the way people take their music collections for granted. It seems like a little bit of effort put into finding and getting music makes it that much more enjoyable in the end. Finding the right website (or torrent or whatever) doesn't seem to me to much of an achievement.

I buy cds (every week), vinyl when I can find something I really want, and download stuff only when I have to. Records seem like an investment sometimes. I still like owning the object. Records are a bigger object.

I'm simple.

Archived