OT: Whats so cool about Vinyl anyway?

• Members

It's the experience for me. It keeps my attention.

It's too easy to press play in itunes, or whatever, and get distracted by anything else.

With vinyl it's it takes more effort. You really have to want to listen to whatever you put on. And {censored}, if you want to listen to the whole thing you have to get up off your ass to get to side two.

I like that.

This and this.

Also, the whole "science" behind why records sound better is that a digital file (even on a CD, but not as bad as an MP3) compresses the frequency range drastically to the point that it will sound closed up, crisp, and sterile. A record is basically an acoustic instrument, with the needle picking up just like a guitar pickup. The music is completely open and unsquashed with a very natural dynamic response, not as compressed as MP3s. The frequency range is as broad as your ears can hear. A perfect example is "A Day In the Life" by The Beatles (best pop song of all time IMHO). Before the nonsense loop at the end, John blew a dogwhistle for a joke. Listen to it on vinyl, the whistle is nonexistent. On CD or MP3, however, you can clearly hear it, and very loudly at that.

It's interesting.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like vacuum tubes?

Vaccum tubes used outside of their design specs in order to intentionally distort and colour the sound as part of a guitar amp? Yes, of course.

But like I said, the last sound I want out of my guitar rig is an accurate reproduction of the pickups, if anyone wants that they should just plug straight into the console.

Circuits using tubes can be extremely transparent and low noise, when designed to be that way. Some HiFi systems and Pro-Audio gear does this.

When I'm listening to an album, I want my system to affect the sound as little as possible. That's why I never touch the 'ultra bass' or 'extreme surround' type buttons on a stereo if I'm stuck using one that has them.

I wouldn't say that's the main reason I don't own vinyl, but it's part of it.

• Members

Since when is there a *cassette* revival?

There are special mixes for vinyl, the same thing go for cassettes. Sometimes the cassette mixes end up being WAY better than the CD or even vinyl versions.

Why anyone would release NEW music on cassette is beyond me tho.

• Members

i don't give a {censored} what anyone says. i have plenty of albums that own both on mp3 and vinyl, and if i listen to them back to back, the vinyl sounds better, no question. i admit i have a nostalgic attachment to vinyl and am biased, but i honestly didn't expect to find as much difference as i have in the sound quality. and i have a {censored}ty record player. someone may be able to explain on paper why this is not true, but my own experience doesn't lie, for me.

and, i have always liked the idea of an album being a tangible, multi-faceted thing. the presentation, the artwork, the lyric sheet or whatever is written inside, dedications- all of that is a really important part of the experience for me. and being able to have all of that and the music itself as a thing i can hold and look at and touch is really important. that's being lost with mp3's and i'm bummed about it. i've always loved that. it was bad enough with cd's when all of that got really small and started to seem secondary, but now it's just gone. i think if a band isn't going to put the kind of care and effort into their albums to create that sort of holistic experience, then i'm not going to bother buying it. i just can't bring myself to pay for mp3's. you're not getting anything. i use mp3's. i have an ipod for the car or for work or whatever and it's really convenient. but if i'm going to buy an album, i only buy vinyl. and i try to do that whenever possible, because i think it's important to support bands and small labels. but cd's are {censored}. they're not durable. even if i take good care of them, i find that somehow they're {censored}ing up after a while. i have records that i've had for twenty years that still play perfectly.

God dammit, Parker. That's what I came in here to say.

• Members

There are special mixes for vinyl, the same thing go for cassettes. Sometimes the cassette mixes end up being WAY better than the CD or even vinyl versions.

Why anyone would release NEW music on cassette is beyond me tho.

I could see releasing a one-off on cassette or vinyl as a novelty. I have no gripe with that concept at all. Releasing your material using cassette as the primary (or sole) format, though? Asinine.

If I haven't stated this before: my own vinyl album collection numbers in the low hundreds, mostly purchased with paper route and birthday money in the 80's. I migrated to cassettes as soon as the first Walkmen and boom boxes became available. My cassette collection from my teens numbers literally in the thousands, in dozens of 100-count wooden and plastic storage containers. As soon as CD's became widely available, my purchases of tapes and vinyl went off the cliff - because they are a massive pain in the ass from any practical consideration.

I still have a copy (actually, my third copy) of Jeff Buckley's "Grace" on cassette. The first one got eaten by the cassette player, and the second one must have gotten too close to a speaker magnet, because the volume dropped in and out to the point where it was unbearable. Each time you want a new copy of the album, you had to shell out another $8.99.

As far as the nostalgia of "Mixtapes", or "Tape-tapes"? The sound quality was absolute {censored}. Hiss city, even if you were using high-quality Metal or Chromium Oxide tapes. Dulled highs, indistinct lows, and hiss...even with noise reduction in place. Never mind the fact that to make one would literally take hours, and you'd usually cut one song off at the end of a side. You can burn a CD of 18 songs today in under 5 minutes using iTunes, and even CD's are becoming anachronistic at this point.

I don't know. Hearing all the nostalgia for vinyl and now cassettes is kinda retarded from my vantage point.

• Members

I like the deliberate nature of putting on a vinyl. It's not like just pushing play on a computer, it's a process. I feel like it forces me to focus more on the act of listening to the music versus just having background noise. Throw on the art and tangibility and most everything else everyone else said and you've got why I prefer vinyl to everything else.

• Members

I didn't read the whole thread, but my two cents:

Depends on the band...but I usually prefer vinyl. I don't care what anyone says about digital technology and how great it is (I use it every time I record...I know it's great), a record holds the actual physical waveform, while digital is just a representation. Again, it depends on the band.

Examples...

Bands that sound better on vinyl: mewithoutYou, the beach boys, MGMT, Neil Young

Bands that sound better on cd, mp3, etc: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Of Montreal, Jonsi

• Members

since i was 17 i've bought albums on tape/cd/& vinyl. & that continues up until today. i think vinyl is a great format but all these Romantic notions about packagingandartwork & arguments about how vinyl sound better i think is just complete balderdash & i roll my eyes every time i read them.

i like a diversity of music. & some music in the past decade was only made available on one format. so i bought it however it was made available. & that still continues until today. i think most older people are confused by these revivalisms becuz they don't listen to the music that begat them in the first place, so when these trends become cool & "trickle up" to more modern conventional forms of music then it becomes, "Oh i love [enter whatever medium here] so much."

When vinyl prices start hitting like $50 & cassettes end up being like $20 PPD. watch how "trendy" the lowly compact disc will become...

• Members

Vinyl can only be truly appreciated when you have a great setup. If you're running vinyl on a {censored}ty $50 turntable into some garbage speakers except a blast of fhasfdasfgefasdfoasdjas. I might as well buy a CD. But wait, why buy it when you can download free flacs?

• Members

Interesting , I just bought this 2 days ago, a usb turntable to convert some LP that I havent heard in years to mp3 and audio cds.

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-Audio-Profile-LP-Turntable/dp/B0029QRA1U

31Ssy2x7VoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So after converting to mp3s , I sorta of enjoyed the pops and crackles being in them and decided to keep them in the mp3.

So now I got CDs with pops and crackles so have a broached the worlds warp?

• Members

Sitting down to listen to a vinyl LP is like grinding your own coffee beans and brewing them in a French press, then having an actual cup ( not a 16 oz disposible) and savoring it.

Does it really taste any better than the pre-ground stuff from an automatic brewer in a Starbucks paper cup?

That is purely subjective.

I listen to both digital and vinyl .

Digital for when I want to listen to a massive playlist in shuffle mode and I am on the move.

Vinyl for when I am home alone chilling and want to be immersed in the artist's world for about 45 minutes.

Exactly. It's an experience. It has it's own sound, I dunno about better but there is something nice about it. Nice to have something tangible too. Also agree with whoever said that to listen to stuff on vinyl is a bit more of a ritual, it takes some dedication. It encourages the listener to actually pay attention to the album as a whole piece of art, rather than the vapid process of shuffling between 1000 albums.

• Members

dumb

Is it? When I listen to an album over 2 or 4 sides of vinyl I tend to pay a lot more attention than I do when I just press play in iTunes. I also have problems with understanding how one can fully process and understand more than 20 minutes of music at a time. Maybe it's just me, but I think vinyl is a format that demands a lot more concentration and attention from the listener.

• Members

I listen to music because I like the way it sounds, and vinyl sounds better.

It only time I listen to a mp3 is when I'm learning new songs. The mp3 is better for that.

Vinyl is vastly superior to mp3s and CDs soundwise.

The double albums are also great for clean out your seeds.

Archived