Used Gear from Guitar Center online

JrB

• Members

Found a Rat on there for cheap. Bought it right away.

After 3 days of no shipment notification, I emailed customer service. Got an email response in about 6 hours saying "hey, the store you bought that pedal from is having issues with their computer system. I went ahead and notified them of your purchase and it's on it's way... here's the tracking number". 5 days later I had the pedal. Had to pay tax (sucks) but no shipping.

Not a bad transaction, but not perfect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, what a surprise: your experience will depend heavily upon which GC you deal with.

Yep. I've had pretty good luck the few stores I've called. Shipping is usually negotiable, I ask about and say (truthfully) that "last time a pedal shipped for $x", and they agree. Only not-good experience I had, someone had already bought the pedal, but the guy on the phone didn't notice. Waited for a week for it show up and had to call back to get the bad news.

• Members

Wow, what a surprise: your experience will depend heavily upon which GC you deal with.

Yep, prices and customer service vary greatly depending on the GC you're dealing with. Also, if you get anything shipped to a local GC they don't charge shipping. So I suggest that if you have the option.

• Members

Bought my Super Swede from a place in Maryland. They charged me tax+shipping but I still saved $220~ off the new price. Only had one complaint: I ordered over Thanksgiving weekend (Black Friday and all) and they were supposed to call me to give me tracking info but didn't. I told myself I'd give them till Monday before I called to ask but on Monday it arrived.

• Members

I've bought from them regularly. You always have to figure you'll pay about $10-$15 more than the listed price on any pedal, because of shipping and sales tax, but it still can make for good deals. I haven't had too many problems. I did buy one item and they never actually sent it. But they never actually charged my credit card either. That was weird.

• Members

I've bought from them regularly. You always have to figure you'll pay about $10-$15 more than the listed price on any pedal, because of shipping and sales tax, but it still can make for good deals. I haven't had too many problems. I did buy one item and they never actually sent it. But they never actually charged my credit card either. That was weird.

I got the courtesy call on mine, but I imagine in both our cases it was easier to sell the pedal to some lucky joe who happened to want it than to pack it up and ship it.

• Members

Ok.... I just had the most EPIC steal from GC... And if any of you know anything about Gabriel amps, you're going to hate me.

Gabriel Voxer V18 head, with footswith, perfect functionality (the rep sounded quite knowledgeable)...

$800.

This thing sells for well over $2K new and is truthfully one of my dream amps; sounds absolutely incredible. :thu:

I win. :lol::love:

• Members

I got the courtesy call on mine, but I imagine in both our cases it was easier to sell the pedal to some lucky joe who happened to want it than to pack it up and ship it.

Nah, with mine it was really weird. I called them up and talked to a guy who was kind of chatty (apparently his sister lives in my town), but he seemed to know what he was doing. He added up the price with shipping and sales tax, took my card number, said they would ship it out the next day, all that. So I expected I would get it in a few days...but I didn't. I saw it was still listed on the GC website, but I figured they probably didn't update those things regularly. Waited another week...still no pedal, still listed on the website. Finally, after it had been two weeks (still no pedal, still for sale on the site), I started to think something had gotten messed up, so I checked my credit card statement and found I was never charged for the pedal. At that time, I figured "well screw it" as I was in the middle of buying a rather expensive pedal from someone online and I could use the money better toward that. Still, it was really odd.

• Members

I bought my Mesa Boogie Road King I used from GC. I talked to a person at GC to make sure I was getting the right amp and how it was going to be shipped. It arrived in a Peavy box which was ok since it was well packed. I plugged in the amp and it was a mess from the beginning. I talked to GC and they said that I could bring it back to my local GC and be fully refunded. That was good. I purchased my Road King II. I got them to send it free shipping because of the hassle from the first purchase. I have been happy with the amp since then.

I just recently purchased an Egnater Rebel 30 combo. I was able to get them to take 50 bucks off and get free shipping. The amp had been on the website for a while so figured that wanted to get rid of it. They were more then happy to knock some money off.

So far, I have been very happy with buying used from GC. The nice thing about buying from GC is you get all the usual return policies that you would get from buying newer gear. You will always have good and bad from where ever you buy equipment. Always do your research and find out which stores have the best reputation.

Cheers.

• Members

I've seen some sweet deals on there lately that went quick; a wine red gibson les paul deluxe for $1200 & a white gibson les paul junior for $500...

yeah, the really amazing deals seem to go very quick. I saw a Boss PN-2 for like $39.99, but it was gone by the time I called. Likewise for the DM-2 that was $49.99.

Of course, they can also be funny when it comes to boutique pedals and pricing them. There's a copilot fx gyroscope on there right now, priced at $20 more than it sells for new.

• Members
There ARE some great deals on there - bought both of my PP2+'s for under $100 each - all cables and basically brand new.

However, there's always sales tax and they'll tack on as much as $15 for shipping sometimes... one GC in particular wanted to charge my about $15 shipping for a used DE7.
:facepalm:
... I passed.

Oh, and NEVER try and e-mail them. Always call. They won't respond to your e-mails at all.

I agree with all of this. They do not answer emails. I did manage to get an rv-3 for $108 shipped though, which was pretty sweet. I've seen Russian big muffs as low as $40. There are definitely deals to be had, just gotta sit on them. I just hate that they're horrible at listing things! My rv-3 was listed under keyboards.

• Members

i haven't bought online, but luckily i live in chicago. i think there's 6 gc's within an hour's drive for me, so every couple weeks i see what they have and sprint over there and try it out.

last time i got a boss xt-2 for $40 bucks. the pedal's absolutely useless to me, but it goes for 90 plus everywhere i've seen it, so i bought it anyways.

tomorrow i'm gonna go look at some flangers that seem to be running for half price or less, so maybe that'll be a score.

• Members

Not true. Once the sales associate rings up the deal, he is credited with the sale and his work is done. The operations/warehouse crew takes over everything after the sale.

• Members

I buy used stuff from GC quite a bit. Their shipping prices aren't bad at all. Much less than MusicGoRound or Daddy's Junky Music. Most pedals ship for $5-$7.

Something that's annoying is that they always confirm your e-mail address and state that someone will e-mail you the day it ships out with tracking info and that's never the case. I've always had to call on the next business day to get that info. Their shipping labels don't seem to allow for apartment numbers, either, which means I get to chase the UPS guy when he's in the complex.

One thing I don't get is why items vary in price (sometimes drastically) from location to location. I know part of it would depend on what they paid for it, but I've seen pretty big differences even in lower-end pieces of gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Soooooooo, I know I basically already said eff guitar center in this thread but there's an acoustic on their used site that I want.

Have any of you ever bought an instrument used from them through the internetz?

I don't want to buy it, and find out that the saddle is filed too low or the neck is warped or etc...

Archived