Reccomend me a manly, smart genre movie.

cobalt-60

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by onyxrhino

View Post

ah, then you might like this:

Valhalla-Rising-Poster.jpg

I haven't seen it yet, but from everything I've read, it sounds like it's right up your alley

Y'know.... i saw trailers for this thing and read amazing things about it, mostly from white supremacist related sources (yeah idk why but i thought going on Stormfront.org would be fun. I'm not even white). Being that I psyched myself up for it, the first 20-30mins was pretty cool and full of anticipation... and it eventually got really...{censored}ing...boring.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt-60

View Post

Raging Bull and Apocolypse Now! are exactly the kind of movies I'm talking about. Impressionistic, foreign landscapes of brooding men smashing each other to bits. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Never saw it, but how about

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrNixon

View Post

Y'know.... i saw trailers for this thing and read amazing things about it, mostly from white supremacist related sources (yeah idk why but i thought going on Stormfront.org would be fun. I'm not even white). Being that I psyched myself up for it, the first 20-30mins was pretty cool and full of anticipation... and it eventually got really...{censored}ing...boring.

what the {censored} are you doing looking for movie recommendations from white supremacist related sources? For the record, I got most of my info on it from the uber-liberals at Film Comment. It sounds like what the OP was asking for.

Also, has anyone mentioned Aguirre, The Wrath of God yet?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by onyxrhino

View Post

what the {censored} are you doing looking for movie recommendations from white supremacist related sources?

y'know... i really dont know...mostly curiosity. i had heard about it before looking around on those sites. i was reading about it before, and then i read a thread in which they were talking about 'important movies,' Valhalla Rising being one of them. they have really warped views on what should be very superficial. i guess that should be a given...

if i had offended anyone with my candidness, i apologize. anyone can read what those wack jobs have to say though. like i said, they have this knack for turning the most superficial, unrelated feature in a film into a huge discussion about supremacy. its crazy!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrNixon

View Post

{censored}. That's the guy who directed Drive. Hopefully a Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel huuuman Beeen and not a crazy right winger. Although he does have a thing for dumb, unapologetic white guys who bash things up. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

Just rounded up my Akira Kurosawa kick and need more smart genre movies. That means artful direction, pathos, and men doing manly things in sensational settings. Gangsters, space stations, WWI, ninjas, etc, and I don't care for modern cops and robbers.

Go! poke.gif

Newcastle circa 1971 is a sensational setting.

Get-Carter-006.jpg

Deal with it.

• Members

View Post

I said *modern* cops and robbers, meaning set in the present. You damn right the 70s is an alternate world, and one of my favorites. I'm all about New Hollywood.

Ahh yes, I noticed the "modern" after I posted.

Another good one is "road to perdition" set during the depression. Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, pretty good flick.

Tom Hanks plays the muscle in the movie and it's a pretty cool departure from his other less than manly roles.

Archived