Reccomend me a manly, smart genre movie.

cobalt-60

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"To Have And Have Not". Lauren Bacall's first film, and she burns the screen down. Bogie's in it, too.
Any movie with Steve McQueen, Eastwood is weak sauce in comparison. Real men don't need big guns. "Bullitt", "The Great Escape". Which reminds me, "Stalag 17".
"The Misfits", both Clark Gable's and Marilyn Monroe's last movie.
"The Magnificent Seven". Yah, it's stolen from "Seven Samurai", but it has every possible '60s macho movie icon: McQueen, James Coburn, Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach. Mucho scene chewing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
Just quit {censored}ing around and get the Werner Herzog box set.

And go on a Peckinpah bender, starting with Straw Dogs.

Are you sure you're not gay?

Yeah, not into dudes, but I think Christopher Nolan is teh ghey and hate Inception. The middle school-ness of my taunt would've made sense if I said it out loud, instead of typing it. I facepalm'd myself rereading the thread.

Werner Herzog, now *thats* what I've been over looking. I knew there was something.

• Members

Watched the Shining last night, hadn't seen it since I was a freshmen in high school. Goddam was it good, loved all the floating shots, and 20/70s decor over Native American patterns. Rented The Road and Grande Illusion from the library after a quick pass through today.

Herzog will definitely come later this week. Which doc should I start with? I love tribes, mythic art, and Joseph Campbell, so anything along those lines. I know he's got the one about the cave paintings, and one about the Wodaabe, but I've only seen a couple scenes. Which dramatic movie would compare best to Throne of Blood?

This is the Wodaabe, a tribe where the men preen themselves for the women, who choose their husbands from a lineup.

Archived