Reccomend me a manly, smart genre movie.

cobalt-60

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thirst - Korean Vampire flick. very well done, and it avoids a lot of the excessive eroticism that Hollywood has been feeding their vampire flicks.

No Country for Old Men - This is a true manly movie. You'll feel more weathered and badass after the first viewing.

Terminator II - Seriously. I forgot how great this movie was until I rewatched it last week. SO ahead of its time SFX wise.

The Crow - Another classic from the 90's. Man i wish i had bought those comic books when i was younger; not only did they appreciate in value, but the story is excellent.

Gomorrah - A Scorcese flick about the real deal everyday Italian Mafia. Very understated compared to many other films based on that topic, very well done and well-grounded.

• Members

Now we're cookin, HCFX! I forgot all about Gomorrah, sounds like it'd hit the spot. I was so mad I missed it when it came out. Why the Hell didn't it get wider release? (edit, wait, foreign language movie, America ftmfl)

How bout non-American war movies set in third world countries? I bet that'd be wicked. Of course it'd end with everyone dying tragically, but still.

• Members

Now we're cookin, HCFX! I forgot all about Gomorrah, sounds like it'd hit the spot. I was so mad I missed it when it came out. Why the Hell didn't it get wider release? (edit, wait, foreign language movie, America ftmfl)

How bout
non-American war movies set in third world countries?
I bet that'd be wicked. Of course it'd end with everyone dying tragically, but still.

The Battle of Algiers

• Members

How about Kingdom of Heaven? People forget that movie with Orlando Bloom and Liam Neeson. Thriller with more than just shoot'em-up.

Just watched Sin City. I thought it kind of sucked but was OK. Not nearly as good as Pulp Fiction, or the Kill Bills, but OK.

(Hated No Country for Old Men and hated Fargo as well.)

Terminator II is one of those rare movies where the sequel is actually better than the original, which was hard to beat.

Raging Bull is an amazing movie, a classic for the ages. Lost "Best Picture" to Ordinary People, a decent but now dated film. RB is not dated.

And, of course, if you haven't seen A Clockwork Orange.....THAT lost "Best Picture" to French Connection. Amazing movie even 40 years later.

• Members

Good suggestions in here.

Revolver

Equilibrium

Taken

3:10 To Yuma

Running Scared

District B13

Leon, The Professional

A History Of Violence

Death Proof

Hanna

Red State

The Thing

Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior (and sequels)

The Protector

13 Assassins

Ninja Assassin

Maybe Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai too if you can handle staring at Forest Whitaker's droopy eye for 2 hours.

Archived