Reccomend me a manly, smart genre movie.

cobalt-60

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cobalt-60 View Post
I said *modern* cops and robbers, meaning set in the present. You damn right the 70s is an alternate world, and one of my favorites. I'm all about New Hollywood.
No you didn't. icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt-60 View Post
Just rounded up my Akira Kurosawa kick and need more smart genre movies. That means artful direction, pathos, and men doing manly things in sensational settings. Gangsters, space stations, WWI, ninjas, etc, and I don't care for modern cops and robbers.

Go! poke.gif

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica View Post
I just finished the Life on Mars series on Netflix and thought it was pretty good.

It starts off as a modern police show but quickly changes gears to 1973 and is a lot like a '70s cop show but with modern production and a bit of sci-fi here and there.
BBC version=win
ABC version=not quite as much, despite Harvey Keitel...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MrNixon View Post
y'know... i really dont know...mostly curiosity. i had heard about it before looking around on those sites. i was reading about it before, and then i read a thread in which they were talking about 'important movies,' Valhalla Rising being one of them. they have really warped views on what should be very superficial. i guess that should be a given...

if i had offended anyone with my candidness, i apologize. anyone can read what those wack jobs have to say though. like i said, they have this knack for turning the most superficial, unrelated feature in a film into a huge discussion about supremacy. its crazy!
No offense, didn't mean it to sound that way. It just sounded {censored}ing crazy to get movie picks from white supremacists.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by onyxrhino View Post
No offense, didn't mean it to sound that way. It just sounded {censored}ing crazy to get movie picks from white supremacists.
Dude, it is pretty {censored}ing crazy. Of course, they have their shortlists of 'great' movies, and reading how they go about analyzing certain films is a little entertaining and very wacky. Like i said, the smallest, most superficial details in a film take on a completely different meaning when you're reading it with the mindset (or lack there of) that the people on Stormfront adopt.

i.e. 'the jewish metaphor of the Matrix Movies,' 'War Horse - a WWI Bash Fest'... its also kinda funny how hung up they get over the stupidest {censored}... i.e. the shower room scene in "Hall Pass" elicited a little flame about penis size and race... there's even a skewed interpretation of Disney's THE LION KING up there. some people... i pray for their children. If you thought TGP was bad with their rules and regs... wink.gif

• 11 months later...
  • Members

way to go eti, i already got it, but did not expect it on youtube with subtitles. good to know.

Somebody suggested 13 Assassins, I loved that movie so damn much, and was so happy to see in theaters, I watched it seven times. It was in a small, private wing at the theater with it's own bathroom, so I ducked in and out of that and Hobo with a Shotgun which was playing next door and see it twice an evening.

• Members

How bout non-American war movies set in third world countries? I bet that'd be wicked. Of course it'd end with everyone dying tragically, but still.

Pans Labyrinth is about a little girls and a fantasy world but is hardcore as {censored}

Quote Originally Posted by T ned View Post
Vanishing Point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6LBhjc08vo

Two Lane Blacktop

Two examples of why 70s movies were the best movies ever made.
oh {censored} yeah

Quote Originally Posted by McManus View Post
Big Trouble in Little China
maybe the most entertaining movie ever.

Quote Originally Posted by onyxrhino View Post
ah, then you might like this:

Valhalla-Rising-Poster.jpg

I haven't seen it yet, but from everything I've read, it sounds like it's right up your alley

I almost suggested that, but then I realized I'd have to explain that it's not actually about samouris and I figured it would be too much trouble
I dug this, it's slow in parts. the main charector hardly speaks. Tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpsmasher View Post
The Hurt Locker
Tae Guk Gi
Rapa-Nui
Apocalypto
Ok as amulti tour infantry vet, THE HURT LOCKER IS ONE OF THE WORST PIECE OF {censored} gARBAGE MOVIES I'VE EVER SEEN. So bad it makes me angry. {censored} that movie. What it portrays has zero basis on reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasleyboy View Post
inglorious basterds
Fun {censored}.

Predator? universal sokdier, highlander? Beating the {censored} out of each other and manly lol. Also enjoyed rdj's portrayal of sherlock. The Avenger was also kinda fun

Archived