Pedals you just don't get

JrB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wierd thread and some wierd posts. Effects are just tools to use when you think they're right for the job. If you go and ask a carpenter which of the tools in his box he just doesn't get I doubt he'd say "Phillips screwdrivers. Flat heads can do cross headed screws just as well. And pliers. why the {censored} do I need them when I can get nails out a wall with the back end of a hammer?" They're just tools.

Clean Boosts

You don't get clean boosts? how? I hope you get one for your birthday.

• Members

The HOG. I could be persuaded tho. Someone show me some excellent usage of one and I'll change my ways. Personal demos? Recording artist that use em? Anything.

It's used for the weird synthy sounds on this song I did.

• Members

Wierd thread and some wierd posts. Effects are just tools to use when you think they're right for the job. If you go and ask a carpenter which of the tools in his box he just doesn't get I doubt he'd say "Phillips screwdrivers. Flat heads can do cross headed screws just as well. And pliers. why the {censored} do I need them when I can get nails out a wall with the back end of a hammer?" They're just tools.

The three rats and one rat clone I've had have each sounded different. I would say that they really shine with some amps and not others. I did ruetz my current rat and it's great for lower gain stuff now. Stock it's not a very versatile pedal, just crank it up and if it doesn't work for you don't use it.

Pitch shifters? Man, I don't think I could disagree more, some beautiful sounds have been made with pitch shifting effects.

Good for adding movement to repeating riffs, when used over a wide part of the mix gives a moving into a dream/change of scene feel (good example being the album version of U2's Until the End of the World, going into the guitar solo at the 2 minute mark, slowdive have some good use of this too), when slow or stopped to get cool filter effects you can get some really growly and angry sounding lead tones like those on Pink Floyd's Animals and The Wall.

You don't get clean boosts? how? I hope you get one for your birthday.

I like you....

• Members
Every time I decide a pedal is {censored} I soon come across someone who has made it sound great. Different strokes...

However I'm still waiting for someone to sound great with a rocktek compressor.
:)

Ha! I didn't like the rocktek either. It's a stupid shape too. But give me a CS-2 and I'll crank it into my vox and play some slide.

• Members

No sir. Though, i'll admit it's been years since I've used one.

didn't you just get a pork loin? isn't that a clean boost basically i hear it has less gain then a green rhino which i just purchased yesterday so i'd say thats pretty low gain and it has trim pots to make it complete clean boost

• Members

didn't you just get a pork loin? isn't that a clean boost basically i hear it has less gain then a green rhino which i just purchased yesterday so i'd say thats pretty low gain and it has trim pots to make it complete clean boost

Haven't gotten one yet. It's on my list though! It sounds awesome in all the vidzzz.

• Members

Cirrus you make some great points. i guess i could have named the thread 'pedals or effects you've tried or heard but could not get good or usable sounds out of and/or have no use for them in your style of music.' but that just seemed too long.

• Members

I just got one....no it has quite a bit of gain, at least as much as a MXR Distortion III, though I am really more into the edge of break-up tones from it these days, the neck humbucker sound has bite, and chime to it.

• Members

I got to play with my friend's G3 last night and found a bunch of cool sounds that I normally wouldn't go for. Auto-wah, step filters, etc. Pretty fun. Could definitely see using them for a song as a "special sound" but not necessarily incorporating them into my basic tones.

• Members

I dont get reverb, In that I've heard other guitarists use it well but for some reason whenever I try to do what their doing its always too much effect/too little/too lush/not enough effect and it drives me nuts. I dont understand what sounds the "predelay" option is for either and it confuses me.

Archived