Pedals you just don't get

JrB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For a longtime it was reverse delay, but I actually sorta "get" that now... so ringmods are now my WTF? effect.

Strymon Blue Sky ... Not a bad pedal at all, actually pretty nice, but it just didn't live up to its hype IMO. Maybe I need to give it another go around.
:idk:
... The lack of a hall mode really bugged me, and even though people say that room mode with the decay cranked is supposed to be Strymon's version of a hall verb, it sounded very little like my RRR's hall, or my Space's hall for that matter.

Yeah... I think you should give that another pass. Crank up the decay and dial in a good amount of damping on the 'Room' mode and I think you'll find something to your liking.

• Members

carbon copy.....i checked one out and it seemed lame. the modulation was thin and feeble at best. the whole unit just seemed...meh

why y'all like em so much i dunno.

did you try a Version 2 of it? and there are trimpots for the mod speed and depth breau...its really a great pedal

• Members

That's weird about the lag, not sure why that would be. Did you have set for trails? I never did, maybe that helped. What did you replace it with, or are using now?

Trails were off, didn't even realize you could turn them on and off. I just didn't like how the reverb sounded, it was like a gross wash of noise. I've owned a {censored} ton of other reverbs that I still like (rv5, holy grail, holier grail, m9, m5, verbzilla, boost RVB and probably more I'm forgetting). The hardwire did nothing for me though. If I decide to get another verb, it'll probably be the boost RVB w/ trails. I've had the one without trails twice and I love how that thing sounds.

• Members

Trails were off, didn't even realize you could turn them on and off. I just didn't like how the reverb sounded, it was like a gross wash of noise. I've owned a {censored} ton of other reverbs that I still like (rv5, holy grail, holier grail, m9, m5, verbzilla, boost RVB and probably more I'm forgetting). The hardwire did nothing for me though. If I decide to get another verb, it'll probably be the boost RVB w/ trails. I've had the one without trails twice and I love how that thing sounds.

Interesting. I did like the M9 reverbs, thought that was one of its stronger features. After I sold the RV7 I got a RRR but honestly didn't think it was worlds better, if any better. But maybe I'd give it another chance. Never tried the Boost RVB, but I had the DLA and that was solid, have only heard good things about the RVB. The Wet is another one I'd like to hear, especially the Stereo version now.

• Members

Modulated delay.... It's like the delay is making fun of you, like when you repeat something someone said in a dumb voice that's either way too high or low.

such a good description, I had to quote it.

I don't really understand most uses of delay. I mean I understand using it a little bit to thicken the sound and I understand that crazy oscillations can sound mega-cool, but how you use it in the vast area in between, I just don't get.

Also, don't understand why so many people obsess over spring reverb. There's so many cool reverb sounds to get, but basic spring doesn't excite me. Yet a new pricey boutique digital spring reverb emulation seems to come out every few months and everyone seems to drool over them. I don't get it. I had a Spring Chicken and I was thoroughly bored by it.

And the Rat pedal. I can understand why it was beloved by 80s rockers, but I can never seem to get a sound I really like out of them.

• Members

I really can't seem to get flangers to work for me, which is odd because I love me some chorus and phase. Trem is something I really like, but it's hard for me to know when to use it well.

More specifically, I'm not sure why some are so into the RRR. Cool for them, but for my money the Hardwire RV-7 is as good, if not better, and the RV-5 is a lot more fun. And that's not even breaking into its own price range :idk:

• Members

I'd have to agree on the Rat: Okay sounding distortion in the '80s, but I don't get it's ungoing popularity and fame, unless maybe it's ruetz'd, which makes it useable stacked with fuzz or other dirt, considering it's still a cheap pedal.

I've just gotten another chorus pedal, I'll see if I'll overcome my hate for the effect. I can think of very few rock bands/artists that use a chorus and don't sound lame or over the top.

Pitch shifters and ring mods: Totally unmusical, wouldn't know how to play anything remotely nice with an effect like that.

I'm a verb/dlay/dirt kinda guy, the only other non-looper/freeze/vol/tuner/etc type peds I have are the chorus I mension and a tremelo I never use.

• Members

As soon as you guys start talking about the right chips and transistors and country of origin I start having no idea why anyone gives a {censored}. I saw a Your Tube video the other day of some guy probably in his 50's, playing a really nice guitar and comparing a Korean made CE-2 and a Japanese made CE-2. His playing was some serious first-year, no concept of rhythm or intonation whatsoever, Guitar Center playing. And hey, that's fine, we've all been there, we're all learning. But maybe who gives a {censored} where your chorus pedal came from if you haven't mastered the quarter note yet?

Also, expensive overdrive pedals. Sorry.

edit: I will amend this by saying that even when you're a total competent guitar player, still maybe who gives a {censored} about that stuff?

Archived