Pedals you just don't get

JrB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

such a good description, I had to quote it.

I don't really understand most uses of delay. I mean I understand using it a little bit to thicken the sound and I understand that crazy oscillations can sound mega-cool, but how you use it in the vast area in between, I just don't get.

Also, don't understand why so many people obsess over spring reverb. There's so many cool reverb sounds to get, but basic spring doesn't excite me. Yet a new pricey boutique digital spring reverb emulation seems to come out every few months and everyone seems to drool over them. I don't get it. I had a Spring Chicken and I was thoroughly bored by it.

And the Rat pedal. I can understand why it was beloved by 80s rockers, but I can never seem to get a sound I really like out of them.

Heh, thanks.

Yeah, modulated is no bueno for me, but some fun things to do with regular delay are rhythmic echos, which is where tap tempo comes in. Great for reggae. Also, a nice slap echo with a ligh overdrive is a time machine to the 50s.

Heh, reggae and rockabilly... HCFX's favorite two genres!

• Members

If you are going to use pedals you need to write with the pedals in mind. Most weird pedals don't sound good with seasoned, 20+ year playing techniques and scales. In other words, you need to resist the urge to write guitar-driven songs in favor of melody or noise-driven compositions.

I'm not saying you should abandon guitar altogether, but if you want to make the most of your effects aside from just dirt/fuzz/chorus/wah things, you need to write differently.

In my opinion, the whammy was one of the best things ever to happen to guitar effects. It made un natural guitar sounds, the that make your ears perk up(or cringe in disgust haha). In my case, it makes sounds that you can use to layer different textures and ranges not usually found on your average guitar.

The hog is a very unique effect that combines a lot of interesting ideas, usually found on synths. Its not supposed to sound like a guitar, I dont think. Especially when you use the attack/decay filters(this goes for the SG-1 as well). It just makes things a little less monotonous.

Spring reverb is for surf rock. Simple as that.

Big muffs are great for power chords and single notes and when dialed in well with your setup can sound huge.

Sometimes you just want to be surprised by the sounds coming out of your amp. Random effects can inspire.

Again, this is all just my opinion, but you gotta change the way you play to see what effects can really do for your sound.

• Members

Metal Muff - isn't the Big Muff metal enough? For huge metal riffs nothing beats a huge sounding fuzz. In fact, most metal distortion sounds like ass. How is it that people thinks the "metal distortion" sound sounds heavy at all? It just sounds piss-ass weak to me.

A lot of ODs- bad monkey, blues driver. They just sound {censored}ty and fake to me. There's some good ODs, but I feel a lot of what people look for in that sort of thing is a really sucky tone that I just don't understand. Although I guess it depends upon your amp.

A lot of modulations I don't like because I find them prohibitive to use & write with.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of chorus or flangers.

Bit crusher stuff is weird for me with guitar, but it's pretty invaluable on drums, synths, and whatnot when doing electronic stuff

I LOVED playing my guitars through the Geiger counter. Endless amount of sounds in that box.. I also had a Montreal assembly: wrong side of uranus, which is also a bitcrusher. That was less guitar friendly but still loads of fun.

Archived