Sovtek Mig Amps

Loobs

• Members

So I just bought the Jet City 20 and it sounds great and will sound even better once I retube/rebias it and add a depth pot. I'm wanting another smaller tube head though, something a bit louder that won't break the bank. Somewhat portable is preferable. What are the Sovtek Migs like? I can't find one anywhere, I take it they're OOP?

It's either gonna be that or a Traynor YBA-1. Finding either in the UK is a total ball ache though.

• Members

The Sovtek Mig 100 that I bought new in 1994 for $200, has been the most wonderfully unreliable, craptasticly beautiful, rock monster I have ever had the privilege of stroking.

I will never ever get rid of it, even though I am no longer in a band and it is ridiculous for basement use. When the wife isn't home it's the Sovtek, when she is, it's the PRRI.

SB

• Members

Cheap? Not that I'm aware... Seems like the Traynors the secret is out and the prices have climbed

Well, itKs true that they're not as cheap as they used to be, and maybe cheap as hell is the wrong word, but i think of $350-$450 for a hundred watt amp that sounds good to be pretty cheap still.

• Members

Well, itKs true that they're not as cheap as they used to be, and maybe cheap as hell is the wrong word, but i think of $350-$450 for a hundred watt amp that sounds good to be pretty cheap still.

I agree. Anytime you can get a proper hang-with-a-rock-drummer real tube amp for less than $500, it's a good thing. There's a lot of cheaper low-watt amps on the market, but sometimes you need to turn it up!

• Members

Migs sound {censored}ing rad... but don't think it'll be dependable... Because it won't be.

I've played a Mig 60 on a regular (at least weekly) basis for about 10 years without a visit to the amp tech. It's been super-reliable, but I should probably get those tubes looked at!

• Members

If you can find one, check out a Redbear. They are awesome, sound really close to the Migs and are hand built and point to point wired. I've never had any reliability issues with them. That said, I never had any issues with the Mig that I owned either. I didn't have it but about a year though.

Archived