Sovtek Mig Amps

Loobs

• Members

I've seen them cheaper than that, even. JCM800 in a big, heavy, bulletproof box.

Both the butcher and the vtm's are great amps for cheap. I've had a vtm, i've played a butcher plenty, a good friend has one. And while they're great, a jcm 800 they are not. The circuit is based on the 800 and it's a similar vibe, but it's nothing like the same amp. I have an 800 too.

• Members

I love the sound of my Mig50...I absolutely hate the fact that it needs to get fixed again. I'd stay away from one, because it's such a heart break when the amp you love to play so much isn't working and you gotta drop another couple hundred bucks to fix it.

• Members

I've seen them cheaper than that, even. JCM800 in a big, heavy, bulletproof box.

Yeah, I was in Guitar Center and some fool was cashing it in. I asked the guy if he had tried CL yet, and he said he was getting no bites. I reckon they didn't give him more than $200 for it, I suppose it is going to get sold for cheap.

• Members

If I recall, maybe I thought the low end was too present without being able to be cut back.

I just felt it was ok. My v4 is a non master volume using 6550s.

And you know this, man.

Yeah, they are some bass heavy bastards. What kind of speakers did you try it with? I had 2 Redbear 4x12s and they sounded amazing with it (Celestion GT75s) but sounded like ass through a 5150 cab if you ran the bass over 3. They worked well with V30s too but nothing sounded as awesome as the GT75s. It is weird too because generally I hate those speakers. They sound to thin and trebly in Marshall cabs.

• Members

Ha, interesting. my main cab now is a marshall with v30s but the marshall came with gt75s - at one point the v30s were in an avatar I had.

I can't recall if I had already swapped the speakers when I had the red bear, since I didn't swap them once I got the marshall with the gts.

I just wasn't too captivated by the sound, messed with the eq of course. I tend to like non master volume amps I guess.

Before I got my current v4 I had a master volume v4 and after comparing the two to decide which to keep, I found the non master was better - though the NM has 6550s and also a few component changes.

• Members

Ha, interesting. my main cab now is a marshall with v30s but the marshall came with gt75s - at one point the v30s were in an avatar I had.

I can't recall if I had already swapped the speakers when I had the red bear, since I didn't swap them once I got the marshall with the gts.

I just wasn't too captivated by the sound, messed with the eq of course. I tend to like non master volume amps I guess.

Before I got my current v4 I had a master volume v4 and after comparing the two to decide which to keep, I found the non master was better - though the NM has 6550s and also a few component changes.

Ha, holy {censored} I've gone through the same cabs/speakers, settled on the same speakers, and my NMV v4 amp has 6550s :lol:. You have good taste, sir.

• Members

Think I'm gonna try to seek out a YBA-1. The MIGs build control looks shoddy to me, and the plastic switches etc. are less than inspiring. It needs to be reliable.

traynorstack-1.jpg

I've said it before and Ill say it again... Go with the YBA-1A Bassmaster MKll over the regular YBA1.

• Members

Why? I'm sure I need that kinda power.

Better with pedals... More clean headroom but same "plexi" gain on tap... Less fizz... Louder if needed... Awesome. Again I have been playing both the YBA1 and 1A a lot lately and I gotta say the 1A slays and that is why I bough one of my own.

Archived