Phil- can we make P & W a ban-worthy item?

hangwire

• Members

I think it's a perfectly valid point. Non-Christians are generally the ones who start religious debates in P&W threads. As has been said many times already in this thread, if you don't like P&W threads, stay out of them. It would be unfair to ban the term just because some people wade in and start a {censored}-storm.

P&W musicians have specific gear needs whether you agree with them or their religious beliefs - why shouldn't they be allowed to ask questions relating to their gear needs?

:facepalm:

I'm happy to listen to your view as long as it is related to the point of this thread... This isn't about bashing religion, but eliminating a term that serves no functional descriptive, but causes divisiveness

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I honestly don't understand why "P&W" is considered a genre, since it describes lyrical content and not musical style. Seriously, is "love songs" a genre? Like, "I play in a Love Songs band, what kind of delay do I need?" I just don't get it.

I don't think it should be a taboo topic though, I'm more of a "freedom of" rather than "freedom from" kinda guy. However, that also means "P&W" shouldn't be off-limits for butthurt, either. Metal, white boy blooze and wimpy indie rock get plenty of crap, singing about Jebus shouldn't automatically earn you a pass. Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

• Members

I'm an atheist and I think we should just leave the p&w people alone. I don't like to seeing people being picked on. If someone starts a thread you don't like just don't post in it and let it drop.

Ultimate freedom of speech! Except for that word "butthurt", that word ought to be banned.
:p

You're a good man. And likewise we'll do the same for you if you want to discuss atheism in a non-hostile manner. We can love our atheist brothers too...;)

• Members

I think it's a perfectly valid point. Non-Christians are generally the ones who start religious debates in P&W threads. As has been said many times already in this thread, if you don't like P&W threads, stay out of them. It would be unfair to ban the term just because some people wade in and start a {censored}-storm.

P&W musicians have specific gear needs whether you agree with them or their religious beliefs - why shouldn't they be allowed to ask questions relating to their gear needs?

That's on topic. We do use different gear for our music style. Perfect examples are delays, overdrives, and the type amps we use.

• Members

Religion and p&w are not the same thing on thus forum anymore Phil which is why I'm an hoping to open your eyes to a good idea to improve this place.

Raging on each other about metal or cats or even religious dogma usually goes as well as to be expected from the Internet, but "p&w" frankly is becoming "n-word varient" ... A typed group of letters that exceed normalcy in response here.

Please ponder this, there is no negative impact to eliminating said phrasing here just as n word varients bring stopped haven't caused a free speech black hole- it is just proactive betterment to discourse and purpose here.

that's doublespeak for "we don't like your kind comin' round heaah..."

• Members
Raging on each other about metal or cats or even religious dogma usually goes as well as to be expected from the Internet, but "p&w" frankly is becoming "n-word varient" ... A typed group of letters that exceed normalcy in response here.

Exceed normalcy in response from who? And what does that actually mean? :confused: My experience has been that P&W threads get on just fine until the spaghetti monster people start trolling. IMO there are more people here who play P&W and can talk sensibly about it than there are anti-religious trolls who can't resist {censored}ting on those threads, so if you're really concerned with retaining as much freedom of speech as possible, why not suggest that we discourage trolling rather than stop talking about topics that attract trolls? If anything, yours is the response that's "exceeding normalcy".

• Members

What are they? And if it avoids the {censored}storm is it much harder to ask for a lush organ like chorus as opposed to saying "a p&w chorus"?

I also feel that people who would try and sneak in the p & w text in posts via "VV" or other trickery would be exposed for their blatant disruption and fostering personal attacks, which again would be another win in helping the forum

• Members
:facepalm:

I'm happy to listen to your view as long as it is related to the point of this thread... This isn't about bashing religion, but eliminating a term that serves no functional descriptive, but causes divisiveness

like "gay"? sexual preference has nothing to do with detailed gear discussion (which is all we're here for, right?), so I guess we should ban any mention of homosexuality too, huh? my tubescreamer has no gender, damn it!

And yeah, this thread has nothing to do with your issues with christianity. It's just the term you're concerned about. You just want to help this forum. You just want everyone to get along and you've determined that we can accomplish that by censoring the people who have different views than you. Wow, that's convenient.

• Members

like "gay"? sexual preference has nothing to do with detailed gear discussion (which is all we're here for, right?), so I guess we should ban any mention of homosexuality too, huh? my tubescreamer has no gender, damn it!

And yeah, this thread has nothing to do with your issues with christianity. It's just the term you're concerned about. You just want to help this forum. You just want everyone to get along and you've determined that we can accomplish that by censoring the people who have different views than you. Wow, that's convenient.

I hear ya. Way too many legalize gay marriage posts in here lately. I just go to the next forum or post. I don't ask for it to be banned.

• Members

I don't think it should be a taboo topic though, I'm more of a "freedom of" rather than "freedom from" kinda guy. However, that also means "P&W" shouldn't be off-limits for butthurt, either. Metal, white boy blooze and wimpy indie rock get plenty of crap, singing about Jebus shouldn't automatically earn you a pass. Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I'd agree if it weren't for the level of trolling that P&W seems to attract, and the unpleasantness of it, over and above what happens in any other genre threads here. It's generally the troll posts that drag those threads from discussion specifically about P&W music in to arguments about religion more generally, which never end well (and are against site rules in any case).

• Members

I don't see too many threads using "gay" as a musical genre. What dirt box is best for a gay band?

• Members

I'd agree if it weren't for the level of trolling that P&W seems to attract, and the unpleasantness of it, over and above what happens in any other genre threads here. It's generally the troll posts that drag those threads from discussion specifically about P&W music in to arguments about religion more generally, which never end well (and are against site rules in any case).

Well, if the OP wants to bring religion into the discussion by specifically mentioning "P&W", then they shouldn't be surprised when it gets discussed.

• Members

I don't see too many threads using "gay" as a musical genre. What dirt box is best for a gay band?

i don't understand your point. are you saying we shouldn't ban use of the word "gay" or "homosexual" because they aren't musical genres (though there are gay punk bands that would disagree), but we should ban "P&W" here on this music forum, because it is a music genre?

• Members

Well, if the OP wants to bring religion into the discussion by specifically mentioning "P&W", then they shouldn't be surprised when it gets discussed.

"Discussion" would be something. What usually happens is that someone with an axe to grind turns up to make deliberately offensive statements and derails the thread. Who's at fault? The person who started a legitimate thread or the person who couldn't resist behaving in ways calculated to cause offense? If your threads get trolled, is it your fault? Isn't this the same sort of logic that says that if women wear short skirts they shouldn't be surprised when they get raped?

• Members

i don't understand your point. are you saying we shouldn't ban use of the word "gay" or "homosexual" because they aren't musical genres (though there are gay punk bands that would disagree), but we should ban "P&W" here on this music forum, because it
is
a music genre?

If you'd read my earlier post, you'd see that I don't favor banning anything.

To me, "P&W" is no more a music genre than "gay" is (you demonstrated this yourself by referring to "gay punk bands"- "gay" music can be anything from Pansy Division to Phranc), and no one's trying to say "gay" is a genre. In short, I was pointing out that your comparison was faulty.

Archived