Phil- can we make P & W a ban-worthy item?

hangwire

• Members

Guitar player seeks opinions on gear for a 2 "set", stage-volume-friendly, live but "not really a gig", indoor performance this weekend (not on Friday or Saturday) in front of a 600-1000 people who are likely to sing along (but not in a rock and roll way).

Any idea where to go?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Guitar player seeks opinions on gear for a 2 "set", stage-volume-friendly, live but "not really a gig", indoor performance this weekend (not on Friday or Saturday) in front of a 600-1000 people who are likely to sing along (but not in a rock and roll way).

Any idea where to go?

Sounds mysterious. Are you a freemason?

;)

• Members

"Discussion" would be something. What usually happens is that someone with an axe to grind turns up to make deliberately offensive statements and derails the thread. Who's at fault? The person who started a legitimate thread or the person who couldn't resist behaving in ways calculated to cause offense? If your threads get trolled, is it your fault? Isn't this the same sort of logic that says that if women wear short skirts they shouldn't be surprised when they get raped?

First, I don't understand the sense of persecution that surrounds the P&W issue- it's almost like politicians want to pass laws outlawing playing worship music or something. You're talking about guitar gear on the internet, the stakes are pretty low. It's not like it's illegal for you to get married or something.

Second, the internet is a global marketplace of ideas. In all likelihood, there are people out there who disagree with your ideas, no matter what they are. You will eventually encounter these people. Your ideas will clash. It's not the end of the world, I really don't see the problem. If some anonymous person on the internet disagrees with you, so what? I don't understand why people get so worked up about "trolling."

And as for the rape analogy... really? That's pretty childish and histrionic- we're not talking about violent crime, were talking about people who disagree on the internet. Get a {censored}ing grip.

• Members

If they did this on TDPRI, there'd be nothing left 'cept crickets and tumbleweeds!

Seriously, as a card-carrying atheist, P&W threads don't bother me. (1) It's a genre and (2) if folks slip in a "play with a servant's heart" or "God is Awesome!" comment, so what? If that bothers you, either don't read the thread or remove your panties first, to avoid their predictable twisting.

Archived