Am I out of touch?

Ryan.

• Members

Why are there metal shows every night of the week in my city? Why do they always draw decent crowds?

It is always awful awful music in my humble opinion. Machine gun drums, poor timing, and lousy vocals. Yet its ALWAYS happening everywhere I look.

Is it a phase? Will they outgrow it? Someone make sense of it for me?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Metal sort of has a built in audience of folks who just dig the energy and the "rage", even if the music is pretty crappy.

It's like that here too.

Metal or Country.

yeah, I went to school in Florida. Couldn't believe how many metal fans there were down there. It was like every third person.

• Members

People who like normal music have real lives and spend their money on things besides music.

Metal is a cult, and the members are focused on their cult music, and the meeting of the cult, and spend what little time and money they can spare on preserving the cult's social norms.

There. Does that make you feel better?

Support the music you like, and leave other people alone.

• Members

a good chunk of the bands I've seen play locally and/or know in the last few year are metal. I'm actually pretty bored of local shows and don't really go much anymore, it's usually the same bands and people. sure, I'll support friends, but the scene is pretty incestuous, just bands splitting off and forming more bands with each other.

I also find it a little sad that most of them are younger kids just rehashing old metal, all sporting torn jean jackets with iron maiden patches and the usual 70s metal cliches. it's been a long time since I've been excited about local music or seen anything new/interesting.

• Members

People who like normal music have real lives and spend their money on things besides music.

Metal is a cult, and the members are focused on their cult music, and the meeting of the cult, and spend what little time and money they can spare on preserving the cult's social norms.

There. Does that make you feel better?

Support the music you like, and leave other people alone.

I liked 90% of this post until leaving other people alone. People with differing opinions should be killed with fire.

• Members

Just have all the members in your band wear camo shorts instead of designer jeans and you'll be in

I once wore shorts on stage. I lost the respect of an online community that day, never to get it back. I will not make that mistake twice.

Archived