OT: I'm gonna get a new phone, which should I get?

Loobs

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember my droid being extremely weird about what you could and couldn't put on the SD card. I don't know if that's a model by model thing.

I'm in the market for a new phone as well and this {censored} right here makes me never want an Android phone ever again. I've got the first Droid and I can only put some things on my SD card, so once every few weeks my internal storage fills up with god knows what and I've got to remove a bunch of {censored} or clear the data on my visual voicemails. I may only have 15 small applications on the phone too, it's ridiculous, I can't do anything.

I'm hoping they've figured that out or the more recent phones just have bigger storage.

• Members

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows Phone) and I couldn't be happier. The interface is IMO far superior to Android and even iOS. The browser's amazing, I especially love that you can choose if you want the browser to load mobile or full web sites. We're currently on a road trip in the U.S. and we've Nokia Navigation all the way. I preloaded maps of the states we've visited and it has been just like using a real GPS navigation.

• Members

The Lumia has been getting amazing reviews on Gizmodo... good choice.

I tried using Android, but it's too OTT, I dont need access to everything, its buggy as {censored}, hated the app store :idk:

The iPhone 4 just works for me, photos look great, internet is good, music sorted, odd game or two and garageband for idea's.

• Members

Interesting fact: 9/10 android bugs are caused by handset manufacturers and carriers {censored}ing with things they shouldn't be (not that it matters)

If you're the sort of person who isn't comfortable rooting and putting a rom in a phone then it's probably not a great idea tbh

• Members

Don't get an HTC anything. They have serious QC issues (power buttons breaking, etc).

I hated Android with a passion, especially the rate at which phone manufacturers would produce new devices and not provide OS upgrades for the old ones. My phone (HTC Aria) never got the official Android 2.3 update.

If Windows Phone looks cool to you (I really want one, the interface is gorgeous, imo) - go with the Samsung Omnia something (w i8350, methinks) - according to the reviews, it has better battery life than the Nokia stuff, and is better in some other respects (IIRC).

Also, I read an article which said that Android is hardly suited for music-making due to a big audio latency. Windows and iOS, on the other hand, don't have that issue. Or mabye Windows has it.

• Members

I'm still going with this. I bought one a couple weeks back after having a Moto Droid, Droid 2, and LG Revolution (also Android). I gotta say, this iPhone kicks ass. No freezing, no problems. It's fast, has a kick ass screen, is built for music, has an awesome camera, HD recording, etc.... Clear winner. iMessaging and FaceTime are sick also. iPhone all the way

All of this. I love my iPhone. Especially living across the ocean from my family FaceTime and iMessage are fantastic!

• Members

Ive played around with iphones. They are alright.

I like androids because theres no limitations. And not all android phones are good. Some {censored}ing suck. But there are a ton of amazing android phones too.

Why does your wife hate it, ren? What does she use it for?

I know a lot of people who don't like android phones simply because they don't have the cool in factor that iphones do.

• Members

Ive played around with iphones. They are alright.

I like androids because theres no limitations. And not all android phones are good. Some {censored}ing suck. But there are a ton of amazing android phones too.

Why does your wife hate it, ren? What does she use it for?

I know a lot of people who don't like android phones simply because they don't have the cool in factor that iphones do.

Mostly work stuff but she doesnt like the apps...

Archived