Kings of Leon has a very blue collar effects setup

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still think the main reason behind so many top notch bands with standard gear ist that they just don't care that much.

I think they (big bands...) care about what they sound like, generally. And if they don't, you can bet someone else does - their tech, the producer of their recordings, the F.O.H. sound guy at gigs. The thing is they probably care about the right things in the right proportion. Something gear fiends lose sight of is how little what you play through matters. As long as the gear doesn't actually prevent you from expressing what you want to express with your playing, it's all basically irrelevant and only there to please you as a performer.

The things that matter are the song and the performance. And even for those listeners who do care about tone, those two things are the context by which you'll be judging it. They're the things that give the "tone" a universe of right and wrong sounds - things that sound good to your ear and things that you think are inappropriate. And only when you've got a song worth a damn and you play it well do you even have a background to judge the tone you're hearing by. If it doesn't serve the attitude of the music, it's a bad tone. How different is an amp being driven by an SD-1 compared to a klon? How different is an ME-50 pitch shifter from a whammy? Even if you can ehar the tone difference in context, does it even matter? Does one tone serve the song more than the other?

Just because a pedal's expensive it doesn't mean it'll sound better. What is better sound? Is it a quantifiable thing that you can define with certainty? Of course not. A Klon might be great for a song, or it might be totally inappropriate. It might be that an SD-1 sits the guitar in just the right place in the track that it doesn't step on the vocals. In that case, the SD-1 beats the Klon. Guitarists on message boards seem obsessed with absolutes and rules that if they observe and follow can leave them thinking that they're doing it right. It's all bollocks. It's art, do what you want. But there's plenty of people here who aren't artists and will never get it, and they're the ones who will carry on believing that because a pedal costs $350 it must be on some fundamental level better than a Boss pedal.

• Members

I never understood the reasoning that you should only stick with easily replaceable gear on the road. Why not take out whatever you want like your Timefactor or whatever and if it happens to {censored} out on you go ahead and replace it with a DL4 or DD7. Seems like a really limiting argument.

• Members

I still think the main reason behind so many top notch bands with standard gear ist that they just don't care that much.

KoL could probably afford ten Klons as a backup, yet they don't. Because they don't even know such a thing exists, I guess. We are a bunch of internet gear whores and clowns here, let's face it. ANd if anyone from here should ever make it (I'm looking at you, christanatl!!!), we well be bitchy and arrogant towards them until the end of time. Then we'll go in our basements to our 25 overdrives and 15 fuzzes and weep a bit and be bitter, swinging our fists towards the sky and while screaming "Why him and not me, why?".

Written while taking a dump.

prince squid for prez

• Members

Now that we've all expressed our seething hatred for pedals and fancy gear, my point was not that "blue collar" setup wouldn't sound awesome if done right. And i wasn't saying kings of leon have {censored} tone. I've never even heard them. My point was that to say most big bands use boss and ehx doesn't mean much to me. Maybe everyone disagrees, but i find that most "big" bands suck. The popular music world is flooded with so much cookie cutter drivel that is completely unremarkable as far as tone, songwriting, musicianship, or anything else. The majority of the popular bands are a carbon copy appeal to the lowest common denominator. Nickleback is the perfect example. They completely suck. It's soulless, empty bull{censored} spewed out there to appeal to a swarming horde of soulless empty eyed jock morons. There was the recent thread about their gear, which was, in fact unremarkable and boring. Hcfx came like flies on {censored} to deride them. Oh they suck so bad. Of course their gear sucks, they should die. Where were all of you then, champions of the blue collar pedal board, lovers of popular music? The kings of leon, i'm sure may be quite different. They may craft some amazing well thought out and felt songs and make them sound wonderful on their boss pedals. There are of course many, many amazing bands who have gotten big because they're amazing. But there are a lot more nicklebacks than there are kings of leon, or radiohead or whatever. And what they use to mass process their garbage doesn't mean much to me.

There are also plenty of mega gear nerds in successful bands who have amazing tone and play important music. They're not all just whiny little talentless babies on the internet, buying $300 delays to make up for being butt hurt about not making it. I've had my mind blown by bands with "blue collar" gear plenty of times. I've also had some gear nerds blow my mind with their fancy {censored} and they made it seem like there's something to it.

Maybe i'm way out on my own and everyone else really thinks most big bands are great and sound great. Maybe y'all think i'm just out there buying klons 'cause i'm so jealous that slipknot is so good.

• Members

Now that we've all expressed our seething hatred for pedals and fancy gear, my point was not that "blue collar" setup wouldn't sound awesome if done right. And i wasn't saying kings of leon have {censored} tone. I've never even heard them. My point was that to say most big bands use boss and ehx doesn't mean much to me. Maybe everyone disagrees, but i find that most "big" bands suck. The popular music world is flooded with so much cookie cutter drivel that is completely unremarkable as far as tone, songwriting, musicianship, or anything else. The majority of the popular bands are a carbon copy appeal to the lowest common denominator. Nickleback is the perfect example. They completely suck. It's soulless, empty bull{censored} spewed out there to appeal to a swarming horde of soulless empty eyed jock morons. There was the recent thread about their gear, which was, in fact unremarkable and boring. Hcfx came like flies on {censored} to deride them. Oh they suck so bad. Of course their gear sucks, they should die. Where were all of you then, champions of the blue collar pedal board, lovers of popular music? The kings of leon, i'm sure may be quite different. They may craft some amazing well thought out and felt songs and make them sound wonderful on their boss pedals. There are of course many, many amazing bands who have gotten big because they're amazing. But there are a lot more nicklebacks than there are kings of leon, or radiohead or whatever. And what they use to mass process their garbage doesn't mean much to me.

There are also plenty of mega gear nerds in successful bands who have amazing tone and play important music. They're not all just whiny little talentless babies on the internet, buying $300 delays to make up for being butt hurt about not making it. I've had my mind blown by bands with "blue collar" gear plenty of times. I've also had some gear nerds blow my mind with their fancy {censored} and they made it seem like there's something to it.

Maybe i'm way out on my own and everyone else really thinks most big bands are great and sound great. Maybe y'all think i'm just out there buying klons 'cause i'm so jealous that slipknot is so good.

TheDude-1.jpg

• Members

KoL could probably afford ten Klons as a backup, yet they don't. Because they don't even know such a thing exists, I guess.

Seriously have you ever heard a Klon? it ain't all that.... I could name 10 OD pedals right off the bat that sound better. (and cost a lot less)

• Members

I used to work with someone whose son in law was head chef on their tour bus (true story).

He was a top range, trained-with-the-best chef, ready to cook anything for them at a moment's notice.

All they ever wanted was fried chicken.

I am not sure whether or not this comment relates to this thread.

• Members

I used to work with someone whose son in law was head chef on their tour bus (true story).

He was a top range, trained-with-the-best chef, ready to cook anything for them at a moment's notice.

All they ever wanted was fried chicken.

I am not sure whether or not this comment relates to this thread.

most touring bands do the same thing, they are afraid if their chef dies/quits, they won't be able to eat the boutique food they've become accustomed to and wouldn't be able to acclimate to kfc while on tour.

• Members

Seriously have you ever heard a Klon? it ain't all that.... I could name 10 OD pedals right off the bat that sound better. (and cost a lot less)

with all due respect. total bull{censored}.

please list the 10 OD pedals that sound better.

• Members

I think something that people are forgetting is that guitarists tend to get really conservative with their "tone", and let their board be solidified. A lot of the "major" bands that we are listening to now have been around since the 90's when there wasn't nearly the same amount of stuff. How much of the "boutique" gear that gets argued about was even well known in like 2001 or when Kings of Leon started breaking out. Cornish, Fulltone, Klon? How much have they overhauled their rig just looking for a slightly broken up tone?

I think in 5-10 years when a different batch of bands that got their start in the last 5 years break out you will start seeing a lot more Catalinbread, Earthquaker, Skreddy, etc... stuff on the boards of "huge" bands.

• Members

with all due respect. total bull{censored}.

please list the 10 OD pedals that sound better.

So, the klon is so totally undeniably all that? In an objective way?

Would Hendrix have sounded better with a klon? Would SRV? The beatles?

Would their music have touched more people if they had one?

What about Black Sabbath. Iommi could have really used a klon on those first albums. And a Klon would really have smoothed out that nasty cheap jarring sound on In Utero. It'd have sounded better for sure. Hey, they might have had a hit! :lol:

Owning a collectable pedal like that is just an ego trip.

• Members

I think we're missing the point here. If King of Leon would let the {censored}tard "Nacho" take care of their gear, it's safe to assume they don't give a {censored} about nice gear. Lots of big bands tour with nice {censored}, Kings of Leon is not the standard.

Archived