Kings of Leon has a very blue collar effects setup

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use an ME-50 in my buddy's solo project band. It's solid. Still the only reverse delay I've heard that can do the swooshy analog delay sound when adjusting the time knob. Why the hell wouldnt' that be on every digital delay pedal!? Also the octave and ring mod sounds tits.

• Members

Most big bands don't bother with high-end gear. They wouldn't be playing to thousands of people every weekend if they were. They'd be at rehearsal like the rest of us trying to get the sound right. :lol: In all seriousness, I don't consider this is a negative, though I know some of you would. Being a musician is not allocated to the stage in front of adoring fans. The chick or dude at home jamming along to Led Zeppelin is just as important individually as bands like Kings of Leon. You can argue that by pointing out the success and impact Kings of Leon have had on the music industry, and that would be true, but to the person playing in a bedroom his enjoyment and satisfaction is what matters to him, and success is individual; it is just a perspective. Who are you to decide whether anyone is not deserving of being considered "important" or not?

• Members

Watching the video I {censored}in love Nacho. He's like a human caricature of roadies.

Also, an off the shelf DL4 or digiverb or whatever is probably about equivalent in processing power to the {censored} people were lugging around in racks in the 80's. I remember particularly when the DL4 came out that was blowing peoples minds. Now theres strymon and stuff that sounds better (at emulating old stuff) but its not like the DL4 is suddenly bad.

• Members

Watching the video I {censored}in love Nacho. He's like a human caricature of roadies.

Also, an off the shelf DL4 or digiverb or whatever is probably about equivalent in processing power to the {censored} people were lugging around in racks in the 80's. I remember particularly when the DL4 came out that was blowing peoples minds. Now theres strymon and stuff that sounds better (at emulating old stuff) but its not like the DL4 is suddenly bad.

No way the DL4 is suddenly bad. Almost every pedal board I see on PremierGuitar, Uberproaudio, Guitar World, etc, has a DL4 on it. The DL4 along with the DD3 are probably the two delays I see the most on artists' rigs. Definitely not getting old anytime soon.

• Members

"I heard Johnny Greenwood actually recorded the first 3 Radiohead albums using a peavey predator guitar into a gorilla amp."

I'm friendly with Paul Kolderie, who recorded and mixed "Pablo Honey" and mixed "The Bends." Your info is incorrect, though it makes a nice story. More to the point, Paul was producing another act for me and they asked 'how does Jonny get those sounds, man?' (they really did talk like that). He laughed and said "well ... a bunch of effects and ... uh ... you know ... HHAHAHHAHAHHA the guy can JUST PLAY." He did have a PP but he also had a nice range of gear at his disposal.

Which segues into a few thoughts on this most-interesting post.

1. There are an awful lot of steps between the fingertips of the player and the listener's ears. Just as an example, do you guys realize just how flattened most radio mixes are with compression? That loss of dynamics kills a lot of the sounds that you geek out over. That's not a value judgement, just an observation that most music is recorded and mixed and mastered not for the obsessive tone listener, but for the mass market. Certainly a band like Kings of Leon, who are angling for hits. Perhaps the Red Krayola would be into very open dynamics in the mix that showed off FX pedals. Though knowing Mayo I'd say he's much more likely to try to get a nifty billy goat bray on there, through a cheap mic. Whatever an effect pedal can do, a good engineer in a reasonable studio can do a lot more of.

2. Yup, the mic (and the rest). It's not just the choices of those involved who comprise the chain of sound - it's the limitation of ALL the gear. I've worked on really, really large tours. Know what? If the PA system at the venue is not that tremendous, you're not going to hear slight differences in tone. That's one reason "soundboard recording" bootlegs were so popular; it's not just the ambient noise from bad mic positioning. It's bad speakers, etc.

In recent years I've seen some heartening improvement in venue soundsystems, both on mega-tours (your U2's and Stones) who pack their own, and in places where the management really cares (Lensic Theater in Santa Fe has a very nice system, in my neck of the woods).

3. A lot of musicians who are in "big" (popular) bands have an entirely different approach to music. They are into performance, vibe, and communicating to/with an audience; shades of sonic grey don't really send them one way or the other. Often when these people do have time to obsess about musical detail, they are far more concerned with creative choices and performance quality than gear limitations.

4. And to be blunt, a lot of "big" musicians are damn good musicians in their way. Let's take the Kirkwoods of the Meat Puppets as I'm friendly with them and know their rigs these days. Cris plays stock Fenders, and plays them so well. Curt plays a nice vintage Paul, and it's modded, but honestly, I've heard him play "bad" guitars and you know what? It still {censored}ing sounds like Cris Kirkwood. Shocker. Same with Steve Turner (of Mudhoney). I'd love for someone here to raise a hand and tell me how "crap" his tone is ... and yet for years it was him and a Mustand through Big Muff into a Reverb. But out the other side comes the opening riff of "Touch Me, I'm Sick." That's a pretty great tone. Jack Endino had a lot to do with that (and a lot of other amazing guitar sounds from the great state of Washington).

5. Why hate on the ME-50? I'm just scared someone's going to realize how amazing the GS-10 is and buy all the remaining used ones up. Those Boss MFX boards are just fine for adding texture.

6. "Lots of big bands have crap tone." I just disagree; I have a bunch of friends who produce and own studios, and I'm perpetually amazed by their work. You may be hearing bad mastering through car speakers, or have different tastes, but honestly, this sounds trollish.

• Members

It's not name dropping. These are my friends; this is what I used to do.

In the context of this thread, it's useful info, too - these are people whose recordings are familiar to most. Anyhow, you're welcome to PM me, glad to fill you in. I have some very fortunate experience I'm happy to share with people on here. Try to understand that I'm really not trying to impress you and relax.

Archived