line 6 modelers?

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

how come the M5 is $199 but the individual modelers are $250? i was under the impression that the functionality of all of the controls of the individual modelers remained intact in the M5/9/13 series. :idk:

bottom line, my fm4 could use a replacement and ive always wanted a dl4

• Members

The XX-4 series pedals are outdated, so their prices haven't really moved much in the last 10-15 years. The M5 can get you most of what those modellers do, but it won't be able to loop ala DL-4. If you're going to drop $250, get a used M9 instead IMO.

• Members

thats what im saying. the prices confuse me. i only generally use one fm4 preset per song, so the m5/m9 would do the trick. and tyhe fm4 doesnt have looping or anything that isnt directly and normally controlled with the pots and switches. but i figured that a) the m series would be way more expensive than they are and b) the dl4, fm 4 etc would drop in price significantly. neither of these happened.

i would also be interested in a fm4 rerelease in a smaller, more attractive package.

Outside of maybe the DL4 (since it has looping), I can't imagine Line 6 is moving a ton of the four button modellers anymore - not for $250, and not when you can get an M5 includes the sounds from ALL of them for $199.

I sold my MM4 when I got my M9. It was redundant.

• Members

thats what im saying. the prices confuse me. i only generally use one fm4 preset per song, so the m5/m9 would do the trick. and tyhe fm4 doesnt have looping or anything that isnt directly and normally controlled with the pots and switches. but i figured that a) the m series would be way more expensive than they are and b) the dl4, fm 4 etc would drop in price significantly. neither of these happened.

i would also be interested in a fm4 rerelease in a smaller, more attractive package.

Sounds like the M5 is in your immediate future then. Go forth and FILTER!

• Members

I work for companies who do manufacturing--including in the musical instrument space. I bet the reason that the original modeling pedals are more expensive is because they have higher COGS. The enclosure alone must be fairly expensive.

The newer pedals have more processing power, but are cheaper to manufacture. They're probably not even made by the same contract manufacturer. Companies tend to drive down manufacturing costs over time, and the M5 series is the result of 10 years of cost reductions. Anyway--that's my guess.

• Members

I work for companies who do manufacturing--including in the musical instrument space. I bet the reason that the original modeling pedals are more expensive is because they have higher COGS. The enclosure alone must be fairly expensive.

The newer pedals have more processing power, but are cheaper to manufacture. They're probably not even made by the same contract manufacturer. Companies tend to drive down manufacturing costs over time, and the M5 series is the result of 10 years of cost reductions. Anyway--that's my guess.

This is what I thought.

• Members
I bet the reason that the original modeling pedals are more expensive is because they have higher COGS.

For the benefit of those of us who don't work in the manufacturing industry, what are COGS? :confused:

Cost Of Gluing Stuff?

Chinese Orphan Gang Shepherding?

Cheap Overseas Globalisation Slavery?

• Members

I don't think outdated is the right term... The same guts ones of the 4 series are in the M5M9M13 and POD HD's. Line 6 sells a ton of DL4's for $250. Why would you drop the price if you are making money hand over fist.

I don't know about the same guts.. but yes, good point about the continuous sale of the DL-4s - if they're still selling, why change the price.

• Members

For the benefit of those of us who
don't
work in the manufacturing industry, what are COGS?
:confused:

C
ost
O
f
G
luing
S
tuff?

C
hinese
O
rphan
G
ang
S
hepherding?

C
heap
O
verseas
G
lobalisation
S
lavery?

Cost Of Goods Sold. It is exactly what the name implies, it's the costs associated with making, storing (inventory), and selling your goods/products. Your labor, materials, shipping, warehousing, overhead, etc. You realize the cost upon selling your goods/products.

I do agree with the two prior statements of possible lower COGS in the M-line pedals due to different manufacturer, better relationships and increased purchases with suppliers, and the second idea of price elasticity. If you are not losing demand with your current price, then why lower it?

• Members

For the benefit of those of us who
don't
work in the manufacturing industry, what are COGS?
:confused:

C
ost
O
f
G
luing
S
tuff?

C
hinese
O
rphan
G
ang
S
hepherding?

C
heap
O
verseas
G
lobalisation
S
lavery?

These are better than the real definition!

When I first started working with product managers and program managers years ago, I made a cheat sheet to decipher all the acronyms. Actually, that was the second thing I did--first I had to figure out what the hell a program manager was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_management

Those guys use more acronyms than the military.

Archived