OT: any other atronomy/space (wannabe) nerds?

Computicus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, dark energy. My wager is that the "field" of gravity is based in on a fractal composition and there's a branch point between gravity as we know it and dark energy, making it essentially giant gravity. Same theory applies for quantum gravity.

If that's right, this is proof that i won.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Computicus

View Post

We need a lounge.

Venus traces a pentagon in our night skies for eight years, while simultaneously creating two distinct (star, rose) patterns in the paths of earth and venus around the sun.

There's a perfect hexagon in the atmosphere of saturn's north pole. Bigger than the earth. It's apparently a result of the weather.

ever read this book?

l_littlebkcoincidence.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

"to make an apple pie from scratch, we must first create the universe."

Had dinner (technically breakfast, but when you're observing all night, your schedule is topsy-turvy) with him up at Mt Wilson when my grandfather took me up there (he used to work there & at Mt Palomar, and would take me up with him on weekends or in the summer occasionally). He was nice to me, which was pretty cool for a 12 year old kid who was really into astronomy. I was quite fortunate, and got to see & do things / talk to people that few undergrads ever get the chance to do - all when I was still in Jr. hi.

Like Christian, if I was better at math, I probably would have become an astronomer or astrophysicist. I'm still very interested in the subject.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by big69

View Post

Then you do have a math/science brain. Science and math are not cold calculated processes (obviously math sorta is), rather they require as much creativity and imagination as any other art form.

although I like the sentiment of this, that math and science are not cold and calculated at the theoretical level, in practice there are correct, quantifiable answers to problems. I agree about the creativity being equal as well, but art just doesn't operate the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by big69

View Post

What? You had breakfast with Carl Sagan? I liked you already Phil, but damn...he is my hero.

Yup. We talked about the origins of the universe, the solar system - even the moon. At the time (mid 1970s), there were three or four primary theories concerning the moon's origin - the fission theory (George Darwin's hypothesis that the centrifugal force of a fast spinning early earth "spun off" a chunk of mantle that became the moon), the capture theory (the moon developed elsewhere and was "captured" by the Earth's gravity in a close encounter between the two) and the co-accretion theory (earth and moon formed in place at the same time), which was fairly popular back then, but in light of the (then) recent geological findings from the Apollo program, was fast falling out of favor. The currently favored giant impact theory wasn't new (the first mention of it that I'm aware of came back in the mid 1940s), but was just starting to be reconsidered at the time due to some of the findings from Apollo. Basically it states that a planet (roughly the mass of Mars) struck the earth at an angle, was largely vaporized, and its core became part of the earth's core while much of its mantle (and earth's mantle) was ejected into orbit around the earth, and within an astronomically very short period of time (within a century) formed the moon. IMO, this theory is probably the most likely due to the near identical isotopic signatures of earth and moon rocks, and it also accounts for the relative lack of iron in moon rock.

I could tell you the rest of the story, but it's hard to believe, and frankly, a bit embarrassing, so I'll skip it. redface.gif

Archived