So Ken is now using Phil's likeness to hustle his lie

christianatl

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Speed

View Post

Here are my thoughts on Ken and his alleged scam.

I've been convinced for awhile now that he and Freekish Blues are just a big troll operation. I think he was attempting to make some sort of statement about the boutique pedal industry and those who support it. The fact that he got a bunch of TGPers to praise a cheap, mass produced, pedal that was made in China as the next great "Dumble in a box" is hilarious and amazing but maybe not surprising. I think a lot of people listen with their eyes and their wallets rather than their ears.

I'm reminded of the thing that Clay Jones wrote years ago. He mentioned he had been asked by a store to build a pedal for them to sell. He built a modded Tubescreamer (I think it may have basically been a Landgraff clone) and brought it to the store. He brought it to the store in a plain metal enclosure (or maybe it wasn't even in an enclosure at all, I forget) and let the guy play it. The store owner was underwhelmed. He didn't think it was a good as a Landgraff, told him to try again, and sent him on his way. He went home, took the pedal and put it in a swirley enclosure, brought it back, and when the owner played it he thought it was the greatest thing he ever heard. The pedal was exactly the same other than the swirly enclosure.

Ken proved that a lot of people will listen with their eyes and wallets rather than their ears. I don't necessarily condone what Ken did by charging a highly inflated price for the original Alpha Drives and being sketchy on the details of how they were manufactured but I understand why he did it. He had to do it. Had he been honest and said, "Ya know, this is a cheap, mass produced Chinese pedal but with a few mods it really shines and can go head to head with all the popular boutiques" it wouldn't have worked. The best response he could have hoped for would have been things like, "It's surely no Zendrive but for a bargain pedal it's pretty good". Look at the Bad Monkey. It gets a lot of praise but as long as it's a Digitech pedal with a goofy graphic pedal some people won't allow themselves to take it too seriously.

Ken's behavior since Freekish gate has reinforced the troll theory. He originally said he would give us an explanation that showed he was not in the wrong. This never happened. He said Joyo stole the pedal from him and went silent. When he returned about six months later he released his "official statement" in the form of a youtube video where he made a nutella and nail polish sandwich, told us he was selling the company and flipped us off. I don't even know where to start with all the bizarre posting marathons he has gone on from time to time.

The most troubling thing, to me, is that Ken has never given a serious response to what has happened. You would think that if it were indeed a troll he would at least come clean in order to try to save face. Or maybe trolls don't do those sorts of things? I dunno.

TL;DR: I think the Freekish is a troll operation. I don't condone what Ken did but I think I understand why he did it, and no, profit isn't his motive IMO.

i sorta agree/believe this theory.

this could explain a whole lot...

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Speed

View Post

Here are my thoughts on Ken and his alleged scam.

I've been convinced for awhile now that he and Freekish Blues are just a big troll operation. I think he was attempting to make some sort of statement about the boutique pedal industry and those who support it. The fact that he got a bunch of TGPers to praise a cheap, mass produced, pedal that was made in China as the next great "Dumble in a box" is hilarious and amazing but maybe not surprising. I think a lot of people listen with their eyes and their wallets rather than their ears.

I'm reminded of the thing that Clay Jones wrote years ago. He mentioned he had been asked by a store to build a pedal for them to sell. He built a modded Tubescreamer (I think it may have basically been a Landgraff clone) and brought it to the store. He brought it to the store in a plain metal enclosure (or maybe it wasn't even in an enclosure at all, I forget) and let the guy play it. The store owner was underwhelmed. He didn't think it was a good as a Landgraff, told him to try again, and sent him on his way. He went home, took the pedal and put it in a swirley enclosure, brought it back, and when the owner played it he thought it was the greatest thing he ever heard. The pedal was exactly the same other than the swirly enclosure.

Ken proved that a lot of people will listen with their eyes and wallets rather than their ears. I don't necessarily condone what Ken did by charging a highly inflated price for the original Alpha Drives and being sketchy on the details of how they were manufactured but I understand why he did it. He had to do it. Had he been honest and said, "Ya know, this is a cheap, mass produced Chinese pedal but with a few mods it really shines and can go head to head with all the popular boutiques" it wouldn't have worked. The best response he could have hoped for would have been things like, "It's surely no Zendrive but for a bargain pedal it's pretty good". Look at the Bad Monkey. It gets a lot of praise but as long as it's a Digitech pedal with a goofy graphic pedal some people won't allow themselves to take it too seriously.

Ken's behavior since Freekish gate has reinforced the troll theory. He originally said he would give us an explanation that showed he was not in the wrong. This never happened. He said Joyo stole the pedal from him and went silent. When he returned about six months later he released his "official statement" in the form of a youtube video where he made a nutella and nail polish sandwich, told us he was selling the company and flipped us off. I don't even know where to start with all the bizarre posting marathons he has gone on from time to time.

The most troubling thing, to me, is that Ken has never given a serious response to what has happened. You would think that if it were indeed a troll he would at least come clean in order to try to save face. Or maybe trolls don't do those sorts of things? I dunno.

TL;DR: I think the Freekish is a troll operation. I don't condone what Ken did but I think I understand why he did it, and no, profit isn't his motive IMO.

Lou there is a method to my madness...... I think Lou is starting to understand. The troll operation far off. Again method to the madness.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FreekishBluesFX

View Post

Who? You start thread. You start swearing. That was in my Tonto voice.

From everything you posted in this thread I gather that you are a delusional {censored}ing moron with no social skills who probably has never gotten laid, and masturbates more in your freekish basement to the bra section of a Sears catalog than you do building pedals of your own design. Get bent, dickhead.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

From everything you posted in this thread I gather that you are a delusional {censored}ing moron with no social skills who probably has never gotten laid, and masturbates more in your freekish basement to the bra section of a Sears catalog than you do building pedals of your own design. Get bent, dickhead.

Do they still have the Sears catalog?

• Members

i'm not trying to be a prick here, but i thought we weren't allowed to start threads that put down other forumites? a little favoritism going on here...

i like christian, seems like a solid guy, and usually posts some great info, but 14 pages of bashing? i've seen threads closed/people banned for far less. i don't know, maybe i need a time out.

• Members

i'm not trying to be a prick here, but i thought we weren't allowed to start threads that put down other forumites? a little favoritism going on here...

i like christian, seems like a solid guy, and usually posts some great info, but 14 pages of bashing? i've seen threads closed/people banned for far less. i don't know, maybe i need a time out.

FB/Ken only appeared in the first place to spam his fraudulent wares - he has continually lied, evaded, misrepresented and deceived, IMO he gets what he deserves

• Members

Lol if you guys hate him so much, don't buy his {censored}ty pedals. That is step one. After that, start working on not mentioning him so much. Seems simple enough, but bitching and making him keep coming back and saying the same thing over and over, while you guys say the same thing over and over.

I am shocked that of all places, HCFX doesn't get how to deal with an obvious troll

• Members

Not sure lolwut is? But freekish would love the OP to chime in. I would like to defend the freekish from the troll like ways he carrys himself. He wants the freekish out. freekish in until the end. The flag has been planted and watering everyday my little seedling.

amen.

• Members

Not sure lolwut is? But freekish would love the OP to chime in. I would like to defend the freekish from the troll like ways he carrys himself. He wants the freekish out. freekish in until the end. The flag has been planted and watering everyday my little seedling.

Could you please stop writing your posts like a 3 year-old child whose primary language isn't English? That {censored} is even lamer than your dumb red dot pedals and incessant trolling.

• Members

Greeny is in your corner because you do business with each other, and he is part (if not all) of the red dot design so he has money at stake.

We've already covered that.

Ba Bam. Again you started this web of lies. Please explain the new jack lies I pimp to the FX community at-large. Y the hate. Do not start threads that you can not finish.

• Members

Can the OP please explain how freekish hustle lies? Trolling?

Okay, while I'm not the OP....

The title of his thread is "So Ken is now using Phil's likeness to hustle his lie"

By which he means, you're use of this: :phil: is like saying Phil endorses this pedal.

To me that's an overreaction, but he is perhaps correct about the "hustling lies" and "trolling" parts, because.

a) To the best of my knowledge having browsed these threads, it seems your overdrive pedal was a rehoused joyo pedal, perhaps slightly modified, then gooped and repainted. Then you claimed it was an entirely original pedal, which it clearly wasn't/isn't. So, for want of a better term, a "lie".

b) As for the trolling, yes of course you are trolling. Every time a thread like this crops up, 90% of people here call you out about what your pedal really is, then you deny it, then it becomes a childish slanging match both ways. More insults met with more denials. And you know this is going to happen, therefore trolling. However, in balance, maybe people should just not post threads about you for you to reply to. You may argue that all you are doing is replying, and defending yourself, but you know what's going to happen, so yeah, probably still counts as trolling whether you think it is or not. And the spam thread could be seen as trolling too.

I am completely neutral in this drama BTW. I'm not going to insult you, but I'm not going to defend you either. Please, maybe just accept that HCFX members don't get on with you and your business, and that nothing positive ever comes from you posting here. You even openly admit that not one person here has bought a pedal from you, so maybe try somewhere else?

Or offer a full, objective, factual disclosure about your pedal from day 1 of it's production, in a calm reasonable manner to prove yourself right.

Archived