Anyone else's finger nails make playing more difficult?

ben_allison

• Members

So, even when I cut my finger nails as short as possible, my nails still get in the way on the index and middle fingers of my fretting hand. Like, the place where my nail joins my finger isn't as far back enough to give me a nice, fleshy area to fret with.

Anyone experience this?

• Members

Yeah, the callouses on my left hand are pretty thick at this point. My right hand thumb, index and middle nails are a little longer for slide playing however. I'm not a fan of long nails at all, but it's way easier to strum with a little extra give on them.

I bit my nails when I was a kid, but I managed to break the habit. Keeping the nails on my left hand cut short is crucial for me, or I have problems.

I always felt kind of bad for fingerstyle and classical players who have longer nails on their right hands that they have to maintain, and short ones on their fretting hands. Must be a real pain.

• Members

I used to teach guitar, and i had two kids (siblings) that had ZERO pulp no their fingers. no matter how short their nails were, their nails always came into contact with the fretboard. They just had no finger tips to fret with.

I failed them as a teacher because I really have no idea what do with with someone with a VERY bad posture. You're supposed to keep your knuckles bent but without any pulp you end up using the bottom of your finger, flattening your distal interphalangeal joints, which just leads to poor technique and limitations.

just to come back and say that your anatomy might be limiting you, regardless of how short your nails are, some people just cant cut them short enough.

I on the other hand have very fat pulp.

• Members

I had a problem with a knuckle and had to go to a hand doctor. I could never cut enough nail off of my left index finger without it really hurting, so I took the opportunity to ask him about how to get fingernails short enough. He showed me these wooden cuticle pushers/sticks that you could use to gently push back the "quick" (I think that's what it's called) so that over time it would recede back far enough for you to cut more fingernail and therefore get more of the finger pad to stick out.

You can get these sticks anywhere, Amazon for example.

• Members

I used to teach guitar, and i had two kids (siblings) that had ZERO pulp no their fingers. no matter how short their nails were, their nails always came into contact with the fretboard. They just had no finger tips to fret with.

I failed them as a teacher because I really have no idea what do with with someone with a VERY bad posture. You're supposed to keep your knuckles bent but without any pulp you end up using the bottom of your finger, flattening your distal interphalangeal joints, which just leads to poor technique and limitations.

just to come back and say that your anatomy might be limiting you, regardless of how short your nails are, some people just cant cut them short enough.

I on the other hand have very fat pulp.

When I lived in New Zealand, the orange juice container stated that it included pulp from China.

• Members

I had a problem with a knuckle and had to go to a hand doctor. I could never cut enough nail off of my left index finger without it really hurting, so I took the opportunity to ask him about how to get fingernails short enough. He showed me these wooden cuticle pushers/sticks that you could use to gently push back the "quick" (I think that's what it's called) so that over time it would recede back far enough for you to cut more fingernail and therefore get more of the finger pad to stick out.

You can get these sticks anywhere, Amazon for example.

I've started doing this.

Every day, I'm using the nail file part of standard nail clippers, so just edge my quick back. I stop short of serious pain.

Over time that will help I think. That and making sure my callouses are constantly maintained.

• Members

You need to push back the skin under your nails.

Cut off the end off a toothpick and round the end with a nail file. Soak your fingers in water to soften the skin and then roll the toothpick under the nail to push back the skin. Now you can cut your nails shorter.

Archived