Alt. Country

TravvyBear

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim

View Post

I was being cute. Of course a big influence on the Americana and Alt country genres.

Just pointing out that in their day they were the definition of country music, not some kind of "alternative" to the mainstream.

That music is Americana music and they did have a big influence on all sorts of music. If you're going by the definition of the word "alternative" in regards to Country music the Louvin Brothers are definitely an alternative to this,

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelMonkey

View Post

I like this a lot. What's a good album?

to my knowledge he hasn't released anything official yet. there's demo tapes and cd's floating around but he generally just tours around the southeast. they're from jackson tn. he also plays bass in The Kernal who aren't to shabby either

http://www.farewellhello.com/watch.cfm

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

While I appreciate all the older country being posted here, thats stuff I (and most people) have already heard. Cash, The Carter family, Willie, etc...

I was hoping this thread would be more about the alt country scene, stuff from around the 90s to today.

You seem to have a better understanding of alternative, traditional country, Americana, than a lot of people your age. But I wouldn't go so far as to say most people would be familiar with any of those artists music I and others posted. For instance the only reason my girlfriend has heard of any of those names or knows some of the music is because she listens to it against her will all the time. icon_lol.gif I probably wouldn't confuse what magazines like Spin calls "alt. country" today as being anything associated with Americana music. It's really a watered down mellow alt rock with very little to do with country or Americana music. People in the country, roots, and Americana genres would lynch you if you called their music alt country these days. It's good that you have a solid foundation in music like that, you can bring a lot to the table knowing the deeps cuts from those artists mentioned. Good for you Travis. Carry on!

• Members

i like real country music, and i love a lot of the good old stuff that's been posted here. but alt country is such a {censored} genre of whiny douchebags playing the most contrived fake, pathetic music ever. it just seems like such a pathetic, obvious ploy to get laid that it makes me sick. it's as worse than the dude who goes to a loud bar and reads a book in the corner, trying to get noticed by some naive girl who will think he's smart and tortured and lonely. it's a {censored}ing halloween costume for hipster city kids.

it hurts me deeply to see a genius like gillian welch lumped in with these losers.

Archived