The Delay Lounge

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have this FX90 coming in the mail...

6fa0_1.jpg

Notice it is slightly differant. I read a review that said the version that I have coming does NOT self oscillate. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

Well I got this in the mail today. It is a great sounding delay, I am VERY happy with it, BUT, it does not self oscillate. Not that big a deal because I have my DE7, but wanted to let others interested in the FX90 know that there are 2 versions!!

• Members
I have a a few (more than i should have) OD's & Fuzz Boxes, but only two Modulation-type pedals !

The one is a Small Clone, and the other one is this :

PinkDE7.jpg

So, can i join the club with this lil cheapo
:rolleyes:

Hello! fellow pink DE-7 owner!! :thu:

apparently its pretty rare! i wonder why:lol:

• Members
Guyatone PS-109 Delay Box

ps-109_01.jpg

Circa 1978, MN3005 BBD, 65 to 300msec delay, 18V.

Switch selector for 500 KOhm (guitar) or 600 Ohm (mic) input.

I can best describe it by comparing it to an Ibanez AD-80.

It's a lot tamer than an AD-80. In fact it doesn't really seem to cover much ground. Mainly a pedal for slapback. Nice dark repeats, no 100% wet effect, I haven't managed to dial in any metallic flange sounds either as I can on the AD-80.

It's a safer pedal to experiment with, it does self-oscillate but the volume doesn't rise dangerously as with the AD-80. It rises but stops at a reasonable level.

It has 4 trimpots internally, I'm wondering if I should try adjusting them to see if there are any other sound options in there. Perhaps this is all it was meant to do. I like the fact it's more plug & play than the Ibanez, basically one echo effect and you alter the mix, no worries about nudging a pot and throwing the sound off. I'll add more as I discover anything else.

i played that, in hiroshima. kind of bland and big for a analog delay, it was $200 or $300 I think. years ago

• Members

i played that, in hiroshima. kind of bland and big for a analog delay, it was $200 or $300 I think. years ago

Yes, 'bland' pretty much sums up what I think of it so far. The 4 controls don't seem to have much range at all, basically on and off. There is a bit of variation possible, but it's just nowhere near as versatile as the AD-80, or my other delays (Boss DD-2 and DD-3). The sounds I have got out of it so far I do like however. Seems a bit weak, maybe I'll try it with a boost in front, or as I mentioned before I might try adjusting the trimpots.

The screws on the back of the case are a pain, difficult to position without them slipping past the threads when replacing the cover.

I think I paid around $200, I just saw another sell on Ebay for $150.

• Members
I have this FX90 coming in the mail...

6fa0_1.jpg

Notice it is slightly differant. I read a review that said the version that I have coming does NOT self oscillate. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

it doesn't look all that different to me. the dod fx90 i used to have oscillate like crazy, in a nice way. there are several trimpots inside you should play with. one of these, if iirc, controls the oscillation.

• Members
Can someone please tell a bit about how the Akai Headrush sounds? Has amazing features for a decent priced pedal...what's the matter with it? 35 sec loop, band echo simulation, tapping...?

Thanks in advance!
:thu:

nothing really majorly wrong with the headrush e2. it is an excellent sounding delay and the looping function is pretty good, definitely better than the dd20 imo. the problem i had with it included the background noise in loop mode. some encounter this problem and some don't, so go figure :confused: the other thing is that imo akai pedals are kinda flimsy. the components not so great, okay just not great. you can see it in many of their pedals. good luck

• Members
nothing really majorly wrong with the headrush e2. it is an excellent sounding delay and the looping function is pretty good, definitely better than the dd20 imo. the problem i had with it included the background noise in loop mode. some encounter this problem and some don't, so go figure
:confused:
the other thing is that imo akai pedals are kinda flimsy. the components not so great, okay just not great. you can see it in many of their pedals. good luck

Thank you man! Sound like I'll give it a try!:wave:

• Members
nope...i asked my dad to get it for me and thats what he got...why?? isnt there a pink version also along with the silver one??

The silver DE-7 is the standard issue. Your pink one is a limited edition release.

I love the DE-7 and I love the color pink but too bad it never came to where I'm at :cry:

• Members

Well I got this in the mail today. It is a great sounding delay, I am VERY happy with it, BUT, it does not self oscillate. Not that big a deal because I have my DE7, but wanted to let others interested in the FX90 know that there are 2 versions!!

I have that model and it self oscillates at maximum setting. The trim pots inside alter where it starts to oscillate. Check HC reviews someone says what trim does what.

• Members

a friend of mine builds pedals. i had him make a really great analog delay for me. up to 1 second of delay time, fx loop to either run effects on the delay signal or original signal. or it can be used as a dry out. and LFO to modulate the delay time, pitch and speed controls. 100% wet/dry mix knob and of corse true bypass. i would probably compare it to a DMM sound wise. i enjoy it very much

• Members

Does the Headrush do pitch shifty stuff when you turn the delay time knob? Is the normal delay mode a standard digital delay? And does it self oscillate? what happens with feedback maxed?

No pitch shifty stuff, just a digital click and stutter (I'm talking E-1 here). Feedback set to max = helicopter taking off and wrecking your speakers... Sort of does an infinite repeat that slowly degenerates into an all-encompassing thump.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

c547f96a4b5b4fa4946451e61427fab4.jpg

[ATTACH]244318[/ATTACH]

IMO, the TC Electronic 2290 is the quintessential delay unit, that nothing has touched yet.

I/O Specifications Max. Input Level (XLR) +22 dBu

Max. Output Level (XLR) +22 dBu

Max. Input Level (Jack) +14 dBu

Max. Output Level (Jack) +10 dBu

Input Impedance (Jack/XLR) 1 MOhm unbal. / 20 kOhm bal.

Output Impedance (Jack/XLR) 750 Ohm unbal./ 50 Ohm Electronically bal.

Frequency Response 20-20 kHz, +0 / -0.5 dB, 25 kHz, -3dB

Total Harmonic Dist.

Dynamic Range>100 dB

Group Delay

Delay Resolution 0.1 mSec to 999.9 mSec. then 1 mSec

Digital-Conversion Dynamic Differential Delta Sigma

Sampling Rate 1 MHz, no downsampling used

Main Features

Main

Superior technical specifications ensure fully transparent sound quality.

Worldwide Industry Standard in recording, sound reinforcement and broadcast facilities.

* "Learn" button for easy entry of delay time.

* Programmable Chorus, Ducking, Gating & Panning.

* Dynamic Delay Looping for Live Applications.

* Sampling with real-time Looping and Sound on Sound. Dynamic Control of

Delay, Dynamics & Panning.

* Five Programmable Effect Loops for control of external effects/pedals.

* 4 seconds memory (8 seconds in Double Sample / Double Delay time Mode).

* Ultra fast processing provides lowest analog group delay:

• Members

hey Zahman, i'm thinking about getting a TC D2 as a delay. I can't pay $1k for these racks. I hear they are good for the money but doesn't have midi tap tempo. What do you think?

D2 is a nice sounding delay. You could get the TC Nova delay pedal for $220 or so, and it DOES have tap tempo. :idea:;):thu:

The D-Two does have tap though: ;) and a bunch of cool non-traditional ways of tapping in some cool stuff:

The Tap time

Sets the time from the previous to the current tap. When Quantize is inactive, the Tap time is set in ms increments. When Quantize is active, the Tap time is set in the current Subdivision e.g. number of 1/8th notes.

Here is the manual:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=880

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=879

• Members
D2 is a nice sounding delay. You could get the TC Nova delay pedal for $220 or so, and it DOES have tap tempo.
:idea:;):thu:

i am making a commitment to a rack rig at this point in my life. I'm going to give this path a serious try. Hence all the rack stuff i've been doing for the past 2 months. Everything modulation will go the rack path and the dirty stuff will go analog pedal path (on a rack tray of course ;) ) Otherwise, i would have gone the nova delay route.

Archived