The Delay Lounge

• Members

owned:
-dod df9.... first delays i ever owned years ago. had 2 of em... they died. fun times.

-lexicon jamman ..... still got it. love it for loopin and tap tempo stutters.

-boss dd5 & dd6.... traded the dd5 for the dd6 due to longer times, warp feature, and all the settings i use are right in a row instead of not.

-boss loop station... the first one the rc whatever. i dig it a lot. it's the main looper in my set up. i'm thinkin however that i may wanna upgrade to a digitech jamman and run both of em. i am also kinda tempted by the audible disease junk fi sampler pedal. a 20 second looper recorder whatever that uses 8 bit sampling and has a choke knob to add grit and filth to the sample.

-guyatone md 3... it's cool. nice oscillation, compact, good amount of time available... i think mine may have developed a power adaptor issue that i'll need to keep my eye on however. sometimes the adaptor input on the pedal needs a lil pressure on it to keep the juice flowin. i may have fixed it.... or not.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been thinking the same thing. Luckily, I have a beat up old SMM that I wouldn't mind stealing the MN3005 out of if need be. That is if they're the exact same chip.

As long as the chips are marked 'MN3005' they were made by Panasonic. The name doesn't have to be on the chip, just the number.

But the later, true-bypass DMM's will most likely have four MN3008's instead of two MN3005's. Same delay time either way. But you wouldn't want to switch a 3005 with a 3008, that would cut your delay time in half. However it would seem that you could switch a 3008 for a 3005, which would increase delay time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Keeping the DD-20, bought the Digilog (it's on its way), in line for the Goatkeeper, and bought an AD9 today for $99. A guy bought one new, tried it out and then returned it the next day. Woot. I love the AD9. It sounds so nice and complements the DD20 so well. Awesome like ping-pongy effects. Can't wait for the Digilog, that's going to break down walls.

• Members

So I'm planning on getting the new EHX #1 Echo. Anybody tried it or heard rumours about it? I believe it's a digital and will cost around a 100$.

Its $100 in the US and I played one. Very nice delay, easy to tweak IMO but I am a relatiev n00b when it comes to delay. I use a KORG AX3G now and plan on getting the EHX#1 Echo soon. I sometimes use my buddy's DD-20 but I can't get my head around it yet...

• Members

i've been using my Zoom G1 for delay lately.

It basically gives you the option of two delays in one box, for a very cheap price. reverbs aren't bad either. very useful if you're on a budget, i think. find myself using it more than digidelay. but the digidelay has more personality.

• Members

Old HC Forum member (circa '98) recently rejoined.

I've only owned a few delay stomps over the years: 80's analog Boss (should've never got rid of), a mid-80's Ibanez, and the Dan-Echo. In the late 80's/early 90's I went through my "rackmounted Efx/MIDI" phase and had the Yahama FX500 half-rack unit, a crappy ART multi-efx unit, and later a Rocktron Intellifex.

None of which *EVER* sounded as warm, clean & pristine as a vintage Echoplex I took for a test drive one day at a local swap/sale. If anyone could ever truly capture that tone in a stomp-sized package, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I digress...

My current modulation box is a Visual Sound H2O, however, I believe the damn thing is on the fritz. I've never had any issues with the Chorus side (that I recall), but the Echo side can get downright screwy.

Sometimes the 'Short/Long' switch won't even work, leaving me stuck in 'Short' echo mode (even though I use the 'Long' setting 99% of the time)......or the Echo Time knob's functionality will literally operate opposite of the way it was before (e.g., it has a longer delay setting when dialed counter-clockwise one day; and then the next day I'll have to dial it clockwise to find the same setting). WTF?

Anyhoo... I'm currently in the market for another delay/echo stomp to use as my workhorse in the echo dept., and that way I can leave the H2O set to another lesser-used setting. Prefer analog, but I'll go with a digital unit as long as its tones aren't too digitally harsh-sounding (like my H2O is sometimes).

Do you Delayophiles out there have any recommendations for under $150?

Thanks,
cs

• Members

Its $100 in the US and I played one. Very nice delay, easy to tweak IMO but I am a relatiev n00b when it comes to delay. I use a KORG AX3G now and plan on getting the EHX#1 Echo soon. I sometimes use my buddy's DD-20 but I can't get my head around it yet...

I have one on "loan" from Sam Ash. It's a piece of {censored}! Volume drops depending on how you set the Blend and the decay is nasty in a bad way. My Belcat Delay was 10 times more analog sounding.

While I'm here any Sad1 mods?

• Members

Old HC Forum member (circa '98) recently rejoined.

My current modulation box is a
Visual Sound H2O
, however, I believe the damn thing is on the fritz. I've never had any issues with the Chorus side (that I recall), but the Echo side can get downright screwy.

Sometimes the 'Short/Long' switch won't even work, leaving me stuck in 'Short' echo mode (
even though I use the 'Long' setting 99% of the time
)......or the Echo Time knob's functionality will literally operate opposite of the way it was before (e.g., it has a longer delay setting when dialed counter-clockwise one day; and then the next day I'll have to dial it clockwise to find the same setting). WTF?

i had a similar problem with the jekyll & Hyde. one of the switches kept cutting off on me and the jekyll side wouldnt switch over all the time. im not to fond of visual sound

• Members

I'm up in the air as to wether to get an AD999 or a Timefactor. I love the sheer warmth of the AD999, but the Timefactor can do lots of cool stuff and has a looper. I don't really use the other cool functions on my DD20, so it's kind of straying me towards the AD999.

• Members

AD9. Warm, good, but you'll need a looper in order to avoid tone suckage. I love the digilog right now, but I'm still trying to tweak the settings to find a good one. Super warm and great and I love it.

Thanks for the input! I had thought about going with one of those since I had the original many (MANY) moons ago. It was stolen at a gig, if memory serves. Still have my 80's Bi-Mode Chorus, though.

So I take it that it's NOT true bypass then? Whatev! I don't really dig stomp boxdes that color my tone when they aren't on. I put up with it for my TU2, but that's where I draw the line.

My Knucklehead Reverb has a buffered Efx loop that worked wonderfully when I've used it in past configurations, but I grew weary of having all those cables running back and forth from my pedalboard to the amp. These days I prefer to daisy chain my efx straight into the input.

I've looked into the Digilog and others of its ilk ("analog-sounding" digital stomps), but that's basically what I've had with both the Dan-Echo and H2O, so I'm not interested in going that route since they are ultimately still digital.

Just trying to get back to those warm, (true) analog delays that I loved as a budding youngster.

Ultimately I'd *love* to get a Diamond Memory Lane unit, but it's WAY too pricey IMO.

So it looks like I'll need to take the AD9 for a test drive sometime next week. Again, thanks for the input.

cs

• Members

i had a similar problem with the jekyll & Hyde. one of the switches kept cutting off on me and the jekyll side wouldnt switch over all the time. im not to fond of visual sound

I emailed the VS folks once about it, and they seemed cool enough. When I settle on a new analog delay I plan to send it back to them so they can fix it.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised since I bought it from Musician's Fiend. Seems like most things I buy there these days I have to send right back for an actual "working" replacement.

but I love, love, LOVE the Jeckyl & Hyde tones, tho! Hands down it's been one of my top fave dirt stomps since I first played through one. Hate to hear that you had similar issues with yours. A buddy of mine has the Route 66 unit and has never had any issues with it that I know of. Go fig.

Looks like VS might need to get their chit together and fast, seeing as how they've got their new V2 series on deck. Hopefully they fixed those quirks in the V2's.

cs

• Members

Hi Everybody.

I used to have ton of gear, downsized and am now upsizing again :)

I am a Delay freak. So far this year:

Boss DD-20. Bought one, sold it, bought another one!

Echoplex EP-3. Found on Craigslist for a song. Recently serviced with new Fulltone Tape. This is the shiznit. Best sounding tape delay I have heard and I've owned a bunch.

Delta Labs Effectrron II 1024. This is a rack unit I found at a flea market for $20.00. Wow!!!! This thing is the craziest of crazy. Weird flanging, modualtions, European Ambulance Sirens. Very analog sounding for digital, dirty. I don't use it much but I'd never get rid of it either.

Ibanez DML 20. Modualtion Delay. I was trying to get a pedal that would do the Effectron in a pedal. ITs very close but not as crazy 'cause it doesn't self oscillate like the Effectron. Great sounding pedal though.

First Act Delay from Toys R Us. Don't laugh. Clay Jones has documented some super easy mods to turn this $40.00 pedal into a boutique clobbering fool! Its tasty, dirty and very analog sounding.

Last week I found my grail on Craigslist, again for a RIDICULOUS low price:

Ibanez AD-80. This is the best delay I have ever heard, period. The fact that I found it in such minty condition is only a bonus. If I could only hav eone delay to keep forever it would be this one.

ad8048mi41qyp-f9n2ce9r.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Has anyone tried the ROBERT KEELEY modded Ibanez AD9 (or any Keeley mods for that matter)?

Heard some good things about his mods, and I *love* the idea of making the unit true bypass AND turning the original switch into a maxed-out feedback effect.

Any info would be 'preeshed--thanks!

cs

• 3 months later...

Archived