The Delay Lounge

• Members

Hello-lo-lo-o-o-o-o!

My main delay is a blue analog SIB Echodrive. Love it love it love it. I run it last in the chain just before the amp and I can slam it with as much gain, dirt, and overdrive as I want and it never craps out. Headroom for days.

I also have a Blackbox Quicksilver which is quite nice. And finally an Ibanez DE-7.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DE7 > Digidelay > Magicstomp for either verb or delay = great big happy.

I liked the tape mode on the Digi, but the DE7 just sounded better overall. I'm thinking about upgrading to the fabled DMM, but the DML10 is making me think twice. Thoughts? Can anyone

mrsage

do a shootout with a DMM and DML10?

• Members

need some delay pedal advice. I'm looking for a delay pedal that can just copy my guitar signal not warm it up or alter it in any way. And the pedal needs to have the ability to eliminate the dry signal so i can only hear the delay. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by VicShat

would it be worthwhile to post clips of my delays in here? or does everyone pretty much know what they are. i dont have anyhting too unkown. maybe ill do a dd-20 dl4 comparison, space echo, dml10, ps-3, and dan echo clips. does this appeal to anyone?

• Members

I never used to really care much for delay or echo until the past year when I really went back and got hardcore into Gilmour's playing, especially early Floyd. The echoes I've had over the years are:

Danelectro Dan-Echo: Decent pedal and a good starter echo, but nothing to really yank the crank. Also, if you listen carefully, there's this oscillation that always in the backgroung which makes it impossible to use for recording.

Vintage MXR Analog Delay: The big green monster that sounded great! Unfortunately, only about 300ms of delay.

Rocktron Short Time Digital Delay: My current echo and absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend this. I've gotten more into using echo as the base of a riff and timed delays. The limit is about 400ms, which covers my needs pretty well. The tone is not digital at all; the repeats are warm and chewy and sound very analog. It does a great self-oscillation runaway train/UFO effect for your freakout du jour. The Short/Shorter switch is good for quickly switching to half/double time. Only drawbacks are that it's mono and the mix knob is the type that only adds more delay signal, so you can't completely remove the original signal. Also, it's rock solid and very affordable. Got mine new for $70!

I have a Rocktron Big Crush Compressor that's great as well, so big kudos to their pedals.

• Members

Hi,
I'm rather inexperienced in this field, i want a delay pedal and don't have the largest bugget. I sort of narrowed it down to either a Boss DD-3 (simple and effective) or the Boss DD-6 (i would only buy this over the DD-3 as it has the tap tampo) or the Line 6 Echo park (apparently it sounds as good as the DL4).
I want something with a long delay time (thats why i sort of ruled out the Rocktron Short Timer), atleast 4 seconds or so. It has to be clear and sparkling, yet not "too digital", sterile or harsh.
I'm going to use it for stuff like Minus the Bear, Isis and Cult of Luna, so Indie, poppy stuff and also alot of ambient music.

I've heard mixed reviews about all of these, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Are there other great, reasonably priced pedals i could get?

Thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by Chuck_Norris_yo

Hi,

I'm rather inexperienced in this field, i want a delay pedal and don't have the largest bugget. I sort of narrowed it down to either a Boss DD-3 (simple and effective) or the Boss DD-6 (i would only buy this over the DD-3 as it has the tap tampo) or the Line 6 Echo park (apparently it sounds as good as the DL4).

I want something with a long delay time (thats why i sort of ruled out the Rocktron Short Timer), atleast 4 seconds or so. It has to be clear and sparkling, yet not "too digital", sterile or harsh.

I'm going to use it for stuff like Minus the Bear, Isis and Cult of Luna, so Indie, poppy stuff and also alot of ambient music.

I've heard mixed reviews about all of these, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Are there other great, reasonably priced pedals i could get?

Thanks.

I'm a big fan of the Ibanez DE-7,
for sound AND for budget :thu:
Just got my second one today.

• Members

My amp doesnt have built in reverb, would a good delay pedal be able to get the same effect as a reverb, in filling out the sound? Could i get a delay to sound like a reverb, possibly by using a short delay time?
I thought it might be a bit hectic/messy (a possible loss in definition) with the reverb and delay pedals both going at once, it seems logical to get a delay because they sound slightly like a reverb but reverb doesnt sound like delay.

• Members

Originally posted by Chuck_Norris_yo

My amp doesnt have built in reverb, would a good delay pedal be able to get the same effect as a reverb, in filling out the sound? Could i get a delay to sound like a reverb, possibly by using a short delay time?

I thought it might be a bit hectic/messy (a possible loss in definition) with the reverb and delay pedals both going at once, it seems logical to get a delay because they sound slightly like a reverb but reverb doesnt sound like delay.

I know what you mean, I have beautiful amp reverb actually but I don't use it. It colors my main everyday tone too much for my ears... I do have a reverb pedal that I use occasionally in an extreme way (big church sound). I find Reverb to muddy things up, so your idea with delay is a good one, I just don't know how to make it convincing. But I haven't tried. I think its going to come down to experimentation with whatever box you have.

• Members

Some of my personal favorites:

DOD DFX94 -- up to 4 seconds of delay, very smooth sounding, capable of infinite repeats. Nice cheap looper. Sample and trigger capabilities. Internal trim pots permit adjustment to allow for self-oscillation and delay times to 5-6 seconds. I have several of these...

Korg PME40X Analog Delay -- already mentioned earlier in this thread. I have 4 of these in a base unit; you can get some fairly hairy noise going between the self-oscillation and the delays.

Digitech PDS 20/20 -- another digital delay whose internal trimpots allow tweaking for longer (albeit lower fidelity) delay times. Looping and modulation to mangle the loops -- what more can you ask for?

Digitech PDS8000 -- need to play with this one more. Nice looper.

Digitech RDS anything -- love the rackmount delays with the modulation controls and the ability to adjust the delay time without glitching.

Ibanez HD1000 -- pitch shift and delay with a liquid crystal display for setting interval/delay time. Somewhat warm, lo-fi sound.

Boss DD-20 -- another device I need to really get to know. Excellent for on-the-fly looping.

Boss RSD-10 -- sampling delay with a pitch-to-CV converter input for controlling delay time or sample pitch.

Arion DDS-4 -- 4-second sampling delay, very different from DFX94, interesting in its own right. You can create some interesting glitchy sounds with the time control and the pedal while in sampling mode.

• Members

#1 Echoczar - Unending analog delay goodness.

#2 Digitech TSR24s - My favorite digital delay, tons of headroom, very tranzparent and unique delay design).

#3 EH DMM - Bought one cause they're discontinued and GC was blowin' them out at $175 - Must say, this delay flat out gets tone with my ODs in a way that impresses me as the best bang for the buck I've spent in awhile...

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

I know what you mean, I have beautiful amp reverb actually but I don't use it. It colors my main everyday tone too much for my ears... I do have a reverb pedal that I use occasionally in an extreme way (big church sound). I find Reverb to muddy things up, so your idea with delay is a good one, I just don't know how to make it convincing. But I haven't tried. I think its going to come down to experimentation with whatever box you have.

Thanks alot, i thought i'd get bashed for that comment, glad you understood.

I think a delay pedal on its own should suffice.

• Members

I've used 3 delays in the past & present!!

My first delay was:

Maxon AD900 - Loved the warmth of this pedal & the ambience it brought to my tone BUT found it abit dark & sold it!! I know BIG mistake!!

Then purchased:

Diamond Memory Lane - Less dark analog tone but mine kept oscillating like crazy when I didn't want it, modulation was great BUT the unit was more noisey than my previous delay & wanting longer delay times so sold it!!

Currently use:

TRex Replica - Has a studio style feel to me!! It's obviousally a digital pedal BUT is pretty close to a Analog delay tone!! Works really well with overdrive/distortion pedals, long delay times & not noisey at all!! I must admit there was a time when I wasn't quite as happy with this unit as although it is close to a analog tone I still kinda missed the warmth that a Analog delay brings, BUT the more I used it the more I liked it!!
I think out of all the delay I've tried this has been the pedal where the more you play it the more you like it & find it very usefull!!
Comeon (like they say on Arrested Development!!) if a guy like Analogman who is of course a anlog fan rates the Replica then in my eyes it must be good!!

I wished I kept the Maxon AD900 BUT that's life!! I may grab one from ebay in the not too distant future or purchase a analog BJF delay when ever they come out!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i don't think I posted here yet, here are the ones I've owned:

Boss RV3-metallic, digital crap

Boss DD3-no frills, decent

Boss DD20-one of the best digital delays, no oscillation is the only drawback

Digitech Digidelay-decent, I didn't spend much time with it, because the switch messed up.

Line 6 Echo Park-liked it a lot, but was noisey with dc-brick. and I don't like the switch

Line 6 DL4-looper was cool, hated the quality of delays.

Ibanez DE7-best bang for the buck digital, sounds analogish with nice oscillation.

Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man-best sounding delay I've owned, great oscillation, and decent modulation. huge and requires own power supply.

I am fixing a boss dd-5, and have a dod fx90 on its way...so I'll be able to comment on them in a few days.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived