The Delay Lounge

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guys, I need help finding a delay for a friend. We went to see a show a few nights ago, and this band Hand of the Host (http://www.myspace.com/handofthehost ) was there. The lead guitarist had this old Ibanez analog delay, it was in a black slanted box ...I think it looks like this: ibzad99h.jpg
It got the best reverb tones ever! Plus it sounded great. What's the word on this? Reliable? Price?

I'm also thinking about selling my BYOC digital delay for a DMM. How do they sound out in front and not in a loop? I'm using a blues junior with a reverend warhawk 290. pedals are a triboost and an E13 Truly Beautiful Disaster.

thanks delay fans!

rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Okay there used to be a delay lounge, but somehow that died and now i can't find it. This lounge is not going to die. In fact, it's going to beat the fuzz lounge
:cool:

That's right. We are going to have useful delay info. Reviews, photos, info on analog...digital, looping delay. Everything. This is going to be numero uno baby! Send in your delay reviews and comments here!
:)

bew5w

BOSS DM2 ($150)

This is the red 80's and is the prized vintage analog delay. Very nice sounding delay imo. Will self oscillate. Limit to 400 msec. I find this delay sound good with clean and with distortion. Simplicity at it's finest.

DOD FX90 ($60)

Very similar to the DM2, but darker sounding. Will self oscillate like crazy if you want and even more than the DM2. Because it does alot of dark, i didn't find this to sound as good with distortion. The fidelity seems less than the dm2.

BOSS DD5 ($100)

All digital. Not much to say. It's clean. I thought it sounded good, with more options. Will reverse delay. Will do a nice ping-pong delay.

AKAI HEADRUSH E2 ($170)

All digital. This is nice. Has 5 outputs. 1 is a mixed output. The other 4 for each of the tape echo sim heads. The echo is very nice. Can simulate a convinceing analog sound with the high frequency roll off. The delay can be varied in different patterns. Will function as a loop recording.

EHX 16 SECOND DELAY ($440)

All digital. It's main function is not a delay but a looper. However will do convincing analog type delays up to 1 seconds. The delay can be modulated with the depth and sweep knobs. True bypass btw.

TC Electronic 2290 approx $1500, on ebay.

Pristine and is the Industry Benchmark. Main
Superior technical specifications ensure fully transparent sound quality.
Worldwide Industry Standard in recording, sound reinforcement and broadcast facilities.

"Learn" button for easy entry of delay time.
Programmable Chorus, Ducking, Gating & Panning.
Dynamic Delay Looping for Live Applications.
Sampling with real-time Looping and Sound on Sound. Dynamic Control of Delay, Dynamics & Panning.
Five Programmable Effect Loops for control of external effects/pedals.
4 seconds memory (8 seconds in Double Sample / Double Delay time Mode).
Ultra fast processing provides lowest analog group delay:

• Members

Hey guys, I've got a yamaha UD stomp that I bought pretty much brand new, have the box, manual, everything. But haven't touched the guitar in a while and am more focused on recording other peoples projects and use my delay plugins like Echoboy instead.

Anybody want to make me an offer I can't refuse?:D

No seriously, I think I paid 300 for it and have turned down a couple 200 dollar offers since i'm not in a hurry for it. Haven't seen any on the bay in a while. I can get some pics of it up in action. Even have some great custom Edge type presets for the serial/ parallel delay setups.

While i'm in the delay forum, anybody built their own DIY delay pedals? I want to build a few to mount in a friends jazzmaster he's been building and hollowed out.:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Would the digitech digital delay be a good first delay pedal?

I'm thinking of ordering my first two guitar pedals(!) I'm thinking of that and a DS-1.

i played with one a bit ago. yes. and the 4 second sampler is a cool ad on. use it to jam with yourself to get thsoe chops up.

ds-1 is ok, try some others in that price range. im sure the store will have some

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Guyatone PS-109 Delay Box

ps-109_01.jpg

Circa 1978, MN3005 BBD, 65 to 300msec delay, 18V.
Switch selector for 500 KOhm (guitar) or 600 Ohm (mic) input.

I can best describe it by comparing it to an Ibanez AD-80.
It's a lot tamer than an AD-80. In fact it doesn't really seem to cover much ground. Mainly a pedal for slapback. Nice dark repeats, no 100% wet effect, I haven't managed to dial in any metallic flange sounds either as I can on the AD-80.
It's a safer pedal to experiment with, it does self-oscillate but the volume doesn't rise dangerously as with the AD-80. It rises but stops at a reasonable level.

It has 4 trimpots internally, I'm wondering if I should try adjusting them to see if there are any other sound options in there. Perhaps this is all it was meant to do. I like the fact it's more plug & play than the Ibanez, basically one echo effect and you alter the mix, no worries about nudging a pot and throwing the sound off. I'll add more as I discover anything else.

• Members

bew5w

DOD FX90 ($60)

Very similar to the DM2, but darker sounding. Will self oscillate like crazy if you want and even more than the DM2. Because it does alot of dark, i didn't find this to sound as good with distortion. The fidelity seems less than the dm.

I have this FX90 coming in the mail...

6fa0_1.jpg

Notice it is slightly differant. I read a review that said the version that I have coming does NOT self oscillate. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

• Members

About to get an Ibanez AD-80, because I'm too lazy to finally fix my BYOC digital delay and 'cause my boss-DD5 sounds way too metallic and cold. I'll hold on to the DD-5 though, the reverse mode and long delay times are too sweet.

Just read a bunch of reviews though, seems the AD-80 is a weird pedal. The controls aren't accurate, it drains batteries, the thing osscilates like a motherf*cker...

Hope it works out for me:(

• Members

About to get an Ibanez AD-80, because I'm too lazy to finally fix my BYOC digital delay and 'cause my boss-DD5 sounds way too metallic and cold. I'll hold on to the DD-5 though, the reverse mode and long delay times are too sweet.

Just read a bunch of reviews though, seems the AD-80 is a weird pedal. The controls aren't accurate, it drains batteries, the thing osscilates like a motherf*cker...

Hope it works out for me:(

The Ibanez AD-80 isn't really much like the BYOC delay, the Ibanez is pretty wierd. It doesn't have to be though, it can sound subtle but you have to dial it back A LOT.

• Members

How can you guys forget about the T-Rex Replica? I am a delay nutjob, and this is THE best. Tap Tempo, perfect tone, volume boost....Beats the {censored} out of all of them. Save the extra dough and get one, and never go back to {censored}ty delay again.....

Archived