KORG KRONOS

mildbill

• Members

Be careful with that vector joystick.
:thu:

But it does sound damn good doesn't it!? I just think that the build of the M3 is better besides the other niggles I had with the Kronos.

The vector joystick feels like every other vector joystick... as long as you don't PULL on it. :)

But damn, I'm so glad I got it. WaveStation, PolySix, VPM all in one box is worth it alone. I'm debating a 61 as well and sell just about everything else. If I can get used to the RH3, I won't need to though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The vector joystick feels like every other vector joystick... as long as you don't PULL on it.
:)

But damn, I'm so glad I got it. WaveStation, PolySix, VPM all in one box is worth it alone. I'm debating a 61 as well and sell just about everything else. If I can get used to the RH3, I won't need to though.

McHale, how can you tell which voice comes from which synth engine? A while back, you posted a link to the patch list and I read it. But I couldn't figure out which-was-which. I must have been missing something.

• Members

I can't imagine that playing "Foreplay" on the RH3 keys is going to be much fun, though.

I play it a little fast anyway so I'm going to practice at normal speed and see if I can swing it. I noticed a few of my leads suffered from the slugging bounce back of the RH3 keys and see why Rudess solos the way he does now. I love having 88 keys though. I can do some insane splits with it.

• Members
The vector joystick feels like every other vector joystick... as long as you don't PULL on it.
:)

I didn't pull on it! I picked the thing up to check the weight and turned it over to have a look at the underside and the metal "stick" part of the vector joystick just came off!

If I were you, I'd take it off, and crazy glue it back on or put a small magnet in the middle of the plastic housing of the vector stick assembly.

• Members

regarding particle board, the JP-8000, Juno-6, and actual Minimoog have particle board bottom pieces. i don't really see a problem with it, nor does it bother me.

in fact, for my application it's perfect, because i need to permanently mount it to a doghouse!

• Members

regarding particle board, the JP-8000, Juno-6, and actual Minimoog have particle board bottom pieces. i don't really see a problem with it, nor does it bother me.

Add the Motif 8 to the list. At first I was put off by the particle board bottom, out of concern that it might warp or decompose over time. But I've had it for about 10 years, and it hasn't been a problem.

Still, as a woodworker it does rub me as being kind of cheap. Particle board cupboards and counters, for example, don't age particularly well. They could use a decent plywood instead (at about the same cost) and it would last forever.

• Members

Download the Voice Name List from the Korg web site... the programs are listed with an indication of which engine they use

Thanks. So that is the Exi 1/2 column? I found an explanation at the bottom of the page. Combis don't show what synth engines the 8 programs come from I guess. You have to trace them one-by-one, within the Combi.

KRONOS Synth Engines in Exi 1/2 column in Programs.

AL: AL-1, CX: CX-3, ST: STR-1, MS: MS-20EX, PS: PolysixEX, MD: MOD-7, SG: SGX-1, EP: EP-1

• Members

Thanks. So that is the Exi 1/2 column? I found an explanation at the bottom of the page. Combis don't show what synth engines the 8 programs come from I guess. You have to trace them one-by-one, within the Combi.

Correct on all. Since Combis can include Programs from multiple engines, it makes sense that they lack that column, there's no engine specifically associated with a combi as there is with a program. But it might be handy if someone put together a list of combis that included their associated programs (which, in turn, could be associated with engines).

• Members

Just got back from Guitar Center where I had another play on a Kronos 61.

The bad as I see it:

No M1 Piano

The M1 piano waveform is certainly in there - ROM 0009. DOesn't seem to be any Program that brings it out in the preload, but you can swap the waveform out in another mono piano sound and roll your own.

Regards,

Jerry

• Members

I called the mom n pop place that is about 20 miles from me- they had both the 61 and 88 in stock. I threw my headphones into my saddle bag and hopped on the bike and rode down there. Spent almost 2 hours on it- right as I got there the sky opened up and it poured for an hour, damn weather.com didn't show it on the radar! So I wasn't going to ride in the downpour and lightning, so I got comfy and got to know the keyboard a little bit. I didn't get real deep into combis, but I ran thru a ton of patches and got into some Karma jams. Some of the Karma jams were real fun, hold down some chords with the left hand and let it go, and play leads over the top.

The RH3 action is OK. Not mediocre OK, but OK as in good. It's not as heavy as the S90ES is. I could get used to it, but I'm not a real stickler for action as long as it's not like a 1975 era Rhodes that makes you bleed.

Pianos- loved them, especially the Japanese model, but I've always preferred a brighter type piano.
EPs- didn't blow me away, but we're talking stock patches with no tweaks. They are very good, but I don't think they are any better than what I heard on the SV1, or what I have in my Stage or S90ES.
Didn't spend much time on the organ.
Loved the analog models. I could really have some fun with these.
Thought the HD1 engine had some real nice sounds in it too. Strings were not bad at all, there were several stock patches that I really liked and could use as is. Pads and choir type things, also pretty nice. I didn't mess much with horns, a few stock sounds were meh, but I know there is the hidden bank and the ability to create a layer of sounds to get it to pop- same thing I do on the S90ES, layer a couple sounds together.

I had no problems reading or navigating the touch screen- and that was a concern as I've just gone to a multi focal contact lens, and fine print has been not so good with them so far.

The whole keyboard was easy to get around on. I'm sure with another hour I could dive into the combi mode and assign faders to control volumes of parts and layer the things I'd like to have layered.

The guy is going to call me when they get a 73 in. They also take trades so if it's not like a car place and they don't totally want to rip me off for my S90ES or Electro, then it very well could be a sale for them. I know my guy at Sweetwater wants to sell me one bad and he'll come back with a good price. I'd much rather buy local, so we'll see what kind of number they come up with. I'm thinking if they can do the 73 in the 3200-3300 range, I'm in.

• Members

The M1 piano waveform is certainly in there - ROM 0009. DOesn't seem to be any Program that brings it out in the preload, but you can swap the waveform out in another mono piano sound and roll your own.

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I was really expecting it to be one of the program patches and was honestly a bit put off that it wasn't there. There's a great deal one can do with the new KRONOS but for now, I think I'll wait for you guys to develop the M5.

House music just isn't House without an M. And I really like the fact that if I beat up my M3 keyboard, I can remove the module and purchase or acquire another keyboard assembly.

• Members

thanks Randy, I'll take a look, I'm signed up there but haven't been a regular visitor.

Yeah, it's a pretty deep machine. I've been in the process all week of setting up all the patches for the songs we do so I can eliminate the synth modules in my rack. Soundwise, it isn't going to be a problem. The only bit of a PITA I'm come across so far is that in order to trigger sounds inside the Kronos from both keyboards at the same time, I'm having to set up some rather redundant combis. For example, I'm playing a brass patch on the Motif that layers Motif and Kronos patches. But if I want use that same brass patch while playing organ on the Kronos on one song and piano on another, that's two different Combis on the Kronos I need to set up. (the other option is use one combi but choose between piano and organ by using the timbre sliders.)

But that's a relatively minor issue. And with the Setlist mode, it's incredibly easy to shift patches around and access them with one button. With the Motif Master Mode, that always requires either memorizing the patch # for each song, or pressing the bank number first to see the choices. I like the Setlist mode where it's just one step to the patch.

• Members

With the Motif Master Mode, that always requires either memorizing the patch # for each song,
or pressing the bank number first to see the choices
. I like the Setlist mode where it's just one step to the patch.

Yes, that was a really irritating thing about the Yamaha interface. In theory, Master Mode is great... as you point out, it is very much like what Korg has implemented in Set List mode, and Yamaha already almost had it... except that they frustratingly don't let you keep the "Slot Names" (to use Korg terminology) visible as you play. They should have allowed you to hit the bank number to see your choices as you say, but then simply highlight the patch you then choose, leaving the entire screen up as a constant reference for what sound is currently assigned to each button. The fact that that screen disappears after you make your selection is aggravating.

But there is a bit of a workaround... if you can get in the habit of remembering to hit the Bank button AFTER you make your patch selection. Except for the first time you do it, it's no extra button presses... you simply have to hit the patch name and the bank button instead of doing it the other way around. But it saves time when you're ready for your next patch change, because you aim immediately for the sound you want and have it instantly, instead of having to hit the Bank button, locate the # of the patch, and then locate and hit the respective button.

Obviously, the Korg method is still nicer because it takes one button press instead of two, but if you use the Yamaha buttons that way, at least it's close. And one nice thing about Yamaha's version... if you want to go from a sound in your first bank of 16 to a sound in your fifth bank of 16, you can navigate from the first bank to the fifth bank with a single button press... on Korg, that takes 4 presses of the "next" tab. I left an entry about this in the "wish list" thread on the Korg forums, I hope they add tabs to navigate directly to Set List pages in the future, there's plenty of room for them.

• Members

I left an entry about this in the "wish list" thread, I hope they add tabs to navigate directly to Set List pages in the future, there's plenty of room for them.

Yes, that would be nice and would probably be an easy OS upgrade fix.

But with the SetList system, I find it much easier to move patches around. Keeping all my first set songs on the first page, 2nd set songs on the 2nd page, etc. Just because of the way it is laid out I find I'm not as mentally tied to the concept of each song being associated with a particular patch number as I am with the Motif. (But maybe that's just the way my brain works.)

Rearranging the order of the patches is more of a PITA on the Motif as you essentially need a blank patch to store stuff while you move other stuff around and have to move everything twice. (And, for the record, I'm still using a Motif classic. I'm not sure what sort of navigational upgrades exist on the later models.)

• Members

But with the SetList system, I find it much easier to move patches around.

Absolutely. Yamaha's Master Mode comes close to Set List in terms of live functionality for patch selection, but Set List still has numerous advantages, including the Copy-and-Paste editing you're talking about, and the slot comments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

spent about an hour at the store with a kronos 61. first impressions is the build quality wasn't as bad as some make it out imho. the keybed and control surface were nice as was the screen. the sound is organized like my 01w with combis, progs, etc and set list mode looks really promising.

as far as sound i found the hd-1 engine to be like many other romplers not underwhelming but just blah. the pianos did sound pretty good tho. i really enjoyed the mod-7, ms-20, and poly six parts of the synth. especially with the touch screen they were intuitive and fun to program.

• Members

IMHO, they simply improved on a lot of the software they already had and improved the converters. This along with the current build quality doesn't warrant the $3000 price tag. $2400 tops for a 61 and perhaps $3000 for a 88 key version.

The SSD I'm sure adds quite a bit to the price. I know some Motif XF users are bitching about the price of Flash boards, adding 2GB adds $600 to the price...$3000 street for XF6 (the $2400 base price is no higher than the XS6).

Archived