KORG KRONOS

mildbill

• Members

I wasn't too intrigued from what I've seen so far of Roland's latest J synth, but I did like the brass responsiveness. Acoustic piano, brass, and strings are my Big 3 requirements when it comes to a $3k+ workstation... anyone have some audio demos of those hidden/buried Kronos brass samples that are better representatives than the stock factory brass patches? Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Orlando don't have any floor models to demo, unfortunately. Thanks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't too intrigued from what I've seen so far of Roland's latest J synth, but I did like the brass responsiveness. Acoustic piano, brass, and strings are my Big 3 requirements when it comes to a $3k+ workstation... anyone have some audio demos of those hidden/buried Kronos brass samples that are better representatives than the stock factory brass patches? Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Orlando don't have any floor models to demo, unfortunately. Thanks.

Here's a link that compares the Yamaha Motif XS horns to the hidden Kronos horns. It's mostly solo horns- not really any ensemble sounds. Motif is 1st, followed by Kronos on each example. The Kronos sounds very good, though I think I like the section French horns better from the Motif. The sounds are as follows:

Baby Trumpet

Soprano Soft (sop sax)

Clarinet 1

Tp Soft Jazz Legato

Flute Legato

Tp Romantic Legato

JazzyClarinet Legato

French Horn Section

French Horn

Trombone 1

Bassoon

Oboe 1

English Horn

Sweet Flute

Tenor Dynamic

Jazzy Flugel

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/downloads/KvM.mp3

• Members

Here's a link that compares the Yamaha Motif XS horns to the hidden Kronos horns. It's mostly solo horns- not really any ensemble sounds. Motif is 1st, followed by Kronos on each example. The Kronos sounds very good, though I think I like the section French horns better from the Motif. The sounds are as follows:

Baby Trumpet

Soprano Soft (sop sax)

Clarinet 1

Tp Soft Jazz Legato

Flute Legato

Tp Romantic Legato

JazzyClarinet Legato

French Horn Section

French Horn

Trombone 1

Bassoon

Oboe 1

English Horn

Sweet Flute

Tenor Dynamic

Jazzy Flugel

The Yamaha sounded smooth, confirms why so many who need real sounds prefer it I guess.

I personally did not like most of the Kronos sounds in that demo. Piercing, Shrill un musical.

It would be interesting to compare in a mix. I think that is where the Kronos may improve as with many sounds you start to get better separation. Yamaha risks sounding muddy but I still suspect many would find the Yamaha as more pleasant to listen to.

• Members

Here's a link that compares the Yamaha Motif XS horns to the hidden Kronos horns. It's mostly solo horns- not really any ensemble sounds

I'm not particularly impressed with any of the ensemble sounds on the Kronos. But it doesn't take much to layer a few things together for a nice "combi" that sounds great. I've come up with nice, punchy, fat brass on this thing.

• Members

Can you post an mp3 of what you came up with? I'd love to hear it.

I opted out of the Kronos, I'm picking up a used S70XS this weekend for $1500. Then I'm selling my S90ES and some other gear I have and turning it into a pair of K12's for our PA tops.

• Members

Baby Trumpet

Soprano Soft (sop sax)

Clarinet 1

Tp Soft Jazz Legato

Flute Legato

Tp Romantic Legato

JazzyClarinet Legato

French Horn Section

French Horn

Trombone 1

Bassoon

Oboe 1

English Horn

Sweet Flute

Tenor Dynamic

Jazzy Flugel

Does anyone know the name of the French Horn section piece at 2:42 in the recording? It rings a bell but I just can't place it.

• Members

Baby Trumpet

Soprano Soft (sop sax)

Clarinet 1

Tp Soft Jazz Legato

Flute Legato

Tp Romantic Legato

JazzyClarinet Legato

French Horn Section

French Horn

Trombone 1

Bassoon

Oboe 1

English Horn

Sweet Flute

Tenor Dynamic

Jazzy Flugel

For the most part, I scored them all relatively even. I didn't think any of the sounds of one unit were night and day more or less convincing than the other unit. Both units sounded very good.

• Members

Both have very unnatural sounding vibrato.

Basoon line sounded extremely synthy on Motif, Kronos had more substance there. Oboe is much better on Kronos. Flute as well. Clarinet MUCH better on Kronos. Overall they are au pair, Motif had better french horns though.

• Members

Or maybe the Kronos just has vibrato samples (albeit looped)? Its sound library is much larger...

I don't think so. Yamaha is infamous for sampled vibrato, not Korg. However, sampled vibrato should at least sound somewhat realistic, definitely not THIS mechanic.

• Members

I'd prefer no vibrato and then add it myself with pitchbending.

According to a post on the motifator site, they provide instruments with and without sampled vibrato.

From http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/455002/

"Yamaha, when they sample instruments like violins, sample the natural vibrato of the musician - this is subjective but the reasons are: They sound more realistic and natural when applied by a real player. Using an LFO for vibrato can quickly begin to sound too perfect (synthy). But again it is subjective - and this is why you have a CHOICE!!!

Of course, this is a synthesizer, so keyboard players sometimes feel that THEY want to control the vibrato. And even though it is very (very) expensive from a wave ROM standpoint to include the real vibrato, you are also provided the violin sampled without vibrato."

• Members

But we're discussing Korg's EX libraries from the Oasys, not just regular Korg ROM content...

In the Kronos, my understanding is there is no ROM content. It is *all* libraries loaded off the SSD. Some are from the OASYS, some are unique to Kronos; some auto-load by default, some don't load unless you select them.

• Members

I thought they both took turns with better sounds, though as an XS owner I preferred the Kronos on many. Have to say though I still expected better given the size of the library on the Kronos! Further, these are so NOT the acoustic instrument sounds I would EVER use. I'm not doing classical or freaking marching band! I want Motown Horns, Spanish Trumpets, New Orleans Trombones, Kenny G Soprano Sax, down and dirty Tenor saxes that SCREAM, jethro tull flutes (The sweet flute is the best I've heard for this so far). I mean THAT stuff, is the {censored}! Clarinets? French Horns? Um... OK. I can appreciate them, but I still to this DAY don't understand why MI companies thinks this is what the average Joe is looking for. I don't know why NO ONE seems to get this... When's the last time you heard a freaking FRENCH HORN on pop Radio? Answer: Possibly NEVER! How about we do a poll of how many people are in cover bands that do POP of the current and past 50 years vs. Classical wannabes and a few "Serious" composers.... They already have ENORMOUS libraries for this which 90% of the time is studio work. Give us the good sounds I mentioned so we can FINALLY take it to the gig!

• Members

I thought they both took turns with better sounds, though as an XS owner I preferred the Kronos on many. Have to say though I still expected better given the size of the library on the Kronos! Further, these are so NOT the acoustic instrument sounds I would EVER use. I'm not doing classical or freaking marching band! I want Motown Horns, Spanish Trumpets, New Orleans Trombones, Kenny G Soprano Sax, down and dirty Tenor saxes that SCREAM, jethro tull flutes (The sweet flute is the best I've heard for this so far). I mean THAT stuff, is the {censored}! Clarinets? French Horns? Um... OK. I can appreciate them, but I still to this DAY don't understand why MI companies thinks this is what the average Joe is looking for. I don't know why NO ONE seems to get this... When's the last time you heard a freaking FRENCH HORN on pop Radio? Answer: Possibly NEVER! How about we do a poll of how many people are in cover bands that do POP of the current and past 50 years vs. Classical wannabes and a few "Serious" composers.... They already have ENORMOUS libraries for this which 90% of the time is studio work. Give us the good sounds I mentioned so we can FINALLY take it to the gig!

I agree with you... I'm looking for the same sounds you are, and so far, I think that's where Yamaha more clearly out-performs Kronos from what I've been able to determine so far. As for the other instruments though, I think what they're really popular for for a lot of people is soundtrack work of various sorts.

Archived