KORG KRONOS

mildbill

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah everybody can skip the first 6 minutes of the first video (I mean, how many times do you have to thank Guitar Center?). After that it's a good demo as the dude can PLAY! :)

The sound isn't that great, though. The Katsunori Ujiie videos still sound a lot better.

• Members
Yeah everybody can skip the first 6 minutes of the first video (I mean, how many times do you have to thank Guitar Center?). After that it's a good demo as the dude can PLAY!
:)

The sound isn't that great, though. The Katsunori Ujiie videos still sound a lot better.

What I liked is how he had never seen one and ran thru it without a lot of tech talk that you get on the Korg sponsored clips. You got to hear a lot more of the sounds this way. I liked his assessment of the keybed, that was a good review on how it responded. He's a good player but every patch he plays with the same style, which doesn't help demo certain kinds of sounds. It was cool to see him scrolling thru and stop when a sound inspired him. Same thing I do when I check out a board. I'm more and more impressed with this, but I will not fall into temptation and buy a 61 to pair with my Stage compact. Gotta have 1 set of weighted keys. I'm going to hold out for the 73.

• Members

What I liked is how he had never seen one and ran thru it without a lot of tech talk that you get on the Korg sponsored clips. You got to hear a lot more of the sounds this way. I liked his assessment of the keybed, that was a good review on how it responded. He's a good player but every patch he plays with the same style, which doesn't help demo certain kinds of sounds. It was cool to see him scrolling thru and stop when a sound inspired him. Same thing I do when I check out a board. I'm more and more impressed with this, but I will not fall into temptation and buy a 61 to pair with my Stage compact. Gotta have 1 set of weighted keys. I'm going to hold out for the 73.

I don't want FULLY weighted keys, so I went with the 61. (plus it bugs me that Korg builds 73-key boards instead of 76.) But if it were semi-weighted, I would have held out for the 73 instead of the 61. Looks like they are going to be shipping the 73s sooner than expected. They were saying September a couple of weeks ago. Now they are saying Early July.

But it's a strong machine. After so much hype and fear and build up to this board my VERY FIRST impression upon plugging it in and turning it on and first playing it was "uhhhh.....maybe this board ain't all THAT after all...." but the more time I spend with it, the more I really, really like it. There's a LOT of versatility there. A bit overkill for those of us who will primarily use it as a gigging board, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

• Members

With that piano quality, using the 61 instead of the 88 is like driving a 6-speed stick shift sports car in the city. I want to hear the sound on the 2 missing octaves and feel the weight!

LCD: I don't think I've ever seen such a bigazz display on any workstation before. The stock photos don't do it justice with those dark shots of the LCD and the orange headings at the top. It looks MUCH bigger when a patch/program is selected [LCD becomes totally bright].

Those pads, omg. The perfect hardware machine for New Age/Ambient music.

The work Korg has put into this is incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with the concept and started designing it just after they released the M1, lol.

He's a very good player, even though it was basically one style of music. The girl videotaping him has a beautiful singing voice:)

• Members

i still can't find valid reason to want this, even though I have gas for this. I want this, but do I need this ?

That's my problem too. I want it, but can it do what my S90ES does now so much better that I can justify the cost? I'd be using this mainly as a live performance board, and the S90ES does a great job at that. I'm not blown away by the string and horn sounds I'm hearing on the Kronos, and I use enough of those live that they will weigh heavily in my choice.

Pianos, EPs, synth stuff- I like what I hear from these engines.

CX3- never been a fan of that sound, but I can work with it and see how it goes. I like the Nord organ sound I have now, so this isn't a dealbreaker if I don't like the CX3.

Things like drums, I'd never use live. Sampling, sequencing, audio recording- a good possibility that I could incorporate that into a live setting.

Some hard decisions to make.

• Members

That's my problem too. I want it, but can it do what my S90ES does now so much better that I can justify the cost? I'd be using this mainly as a live performance board, and the S90ES does a great job at that. I'm not blown away by the string and horn sounds I'm hearing on the Kronos, and I use enough of those live that they will weigh heavily in my choice.

CX3- never been a fan of that sound, but I can work with it and see how it goes. I like the Nord organ sound I have now, so this isn't a dealbreaker if I don't like the CX3.

Things like drums, I'd never use live. Sampling, sequencing, audio recording- a good possibility that I could incorporate that into a live setting.

There is another .PCG file in an extras folder on the SSD that contains another 2 banks of horns & winds (the samples for which are already loaded by the preload.ksc). The extras are much better than what's in the factory banks and I have already gone through and replaced most of the "stock" sounds with the expansions sounds. It would be worth auditioning those before making up your mind on the brass. Just a thought...

Bill

• Members

You've got a couple of great machines there already, Dan. For me the Kronos (which you first told me about, IIRC) was a no-brainer as I'm 10-years past my last major synth purchase. I think it's better overall than that Motif XF, which is the only other board I was considering. Much more versatile. If I had those two boards you have, I'd probably sit pat. (well, only if I kept my Motif classic because I need a sampler and may need a sequencer down the road.) Yeah the pianos, EPs and organs are all very very good (if not great) on the Kronos. But those sorts of sounds are very very good (if not great) on the boards you have already. Personally, I wouldn't spend $3K for a piano sound that is a bit better than what I already have. (assuming you personally DO find it to be a bit better). But that's me. YMMV.

I agree with you about the string and brass patches being weak. The thing about the Kronos though is all the versatility with layering, spliting, tons of effects, etc. Yeah, the brass patches aren't that great out-of-the-box, but it took me all of about 15 minutes to come up with one I like.

What is really selling it for me, at this point, is the virtual analog stuff. My band is doing more and more modern dance/pop material and I was struggling to get patches I was really happy with on those types of songs with my old gear. The Kronos has that sort of stuff for days. I have been considering picking up a M-Audio Venom to help get a lot of those types of sounds; I'm not sure I'll need one now.

I think these big workstations are a bit overkill for live performance boards and sometimes all the bells-and-whistles get in the way. But so far I've found the Kronos to be a great live controller. More versatile than the Motif in being able to set up controllers to do what I need live and I like the Setlist banks better than Motif's "Master Mode".

• Members
I think it's better overall than that Motif XF, which is the only other board I was considering. Much more versatile. If I had those two boards you have, I'd probably sit pat. (well, only if I kept my Motif classic because I need a sampler and may need a sequencer down the road.) Yeah the pianos, EPs and organs are all very very good (if not great) on the Kronos. But those sorts of sounds are very very good (if not great) on the boards you have already.

I think both the Motif XF and the Kronos are excellent, they are however different synthesizers, and because of that they have a different sound. The Yamaha strings are going to sound different to one's ears than the Kronos strings, and I would hope so, or we would have nothing to choose from.
Some people prefer the sound of the Yamaha over the Kronos and vice versa, it's all a matter of personal taste.
The Kronos IMO is the most versatile as far as the synth engines available.
Personally I really like the sound of the Motif, but some of the Kronos stuff blows me away as well.
Please explain your sampling comment because I was told on this thread the Kronos does do sampling.:confused:

• Members

Say "{censored} it" and go with 61. The most portable out of the bunch. Get an 88-key weighted board (if you don't have it already) to marry it over MIDI and you have a great combo with piano-like keys, and a decent keybed to do fast synth stuff and organ smears on.

Problem is, I'll still be gigging with a 76 key MotifXS. Since the Motif's MIDI implementation SUCKS BALLS (BALLS I tell you! It's like the thing's from 1988) the Kronos would become the master controller. I DREAM of being able to control both boards via MIDI again. Something that is short of impossible to do effectively on the Motif (NO, I'm not kidding) for my situation. It's been the bane of the motif series (That {censored}TY Master mode idea. Please, just give me 30 min in the room with the "engineer" who designed that and the manager that approved it) since it was released.

Who knows, I might trade the XS in for a new MOX6 once I settle in with the Kronos as the XS is a PIG weight wise anyway. The downside is I would lose some older Motif Pianos and Horns from the ES Expansions (Which never made their way into the XS ROM? WTF?), sliders for part volumes (With then a knob arrangement I don't agree with), and the (Damn it!) Ribbon. The semi weighted XS action is a slow, sloppy, mushy, POS IMO. My M50 is light as a feather and I'm SERIOUSLY gonna miss that gigging.

Archived