What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

Well, you would think so - but evidently plenty of software-only versions of the Legacy collection exist that don't require any hardware specifically. Not trying to pick a fight or argue, but it WAS cracked and that caused Korg to take a step back.

Yup, so I've heard. There are thousands of kids with home "studios" containing nothing but pirated software and a super-cheap MIDI controller.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

like I said before, some lame rompler.

idk though, a Kronos competitor that builds on the V-synth would be nice. But I won't get my hopes up. I do like their VAs though the Gaia seemed disappointing to me.

I think the Groove line, as ridiculed as it might have been back then, was a step in the right direction, just not far enough. Like if the MC-303 had included a basic bass synth VA like they put in later gear or like Korg did with the Electribe A. I imagine they made shedloads of money off the Groove line when it was trendy. But by now they've walked away from that and are hardly making anything good/interesting. Korg "gets it", Roland does not.

Actually what I'd really like from them is a new drum machine. Call it something something 808 to captalize on that. VA/samples, I don't care. Maybe something based off the MV? Something XR-20ish but maybe a bit nicer, with more kits and quality worthy of the Roland name. I dug the Boss DR-202 back when, just wasn't quite good enough.

• Members

Good News... Jupiter...

Bad news... probably as lame as the new Juno series...

From the looks of the web site, this future music is not associated with future music magazine/music radar. I question the validity of this news from this web site (unless this is really the future music mag site) If they are not with future music mag, how did they get this news before anybody else. Seems like roland would not want to leak out the info since they have the count down. Unless somebody from the inside leaked it. Future music mag is a very pro mag out of UK. Maybe this is a pro, valid website, I just have not heard of it.

• Members

This is just in:

Jupiter F (meaning Fantom)

Multi core music system. Fourteen (!) different engines, including sampler, acoustic piano, electric piano, pipe organ, electric organ, acoustic emulator (brass and strings mode sharing 512 polyphony), choir emulator, solo voice emulator, string machine, Jupiter VA, JD-990 emulator, D-50 emulator (both JD-990 and D-50 emulator can use more than 7500 waveforms found in rompler mode), TR-808 emulator and unavoidable rompler with every waveform Roland ever produced, plus gigatons of best sounds free to download and use it in 4GB sampler (mentioned above), expandable to 32 gigabytes with PC slot memory. Every engine has 512 polyphony. No limitation in use of 128 MIDI chanells and easy to use Sequencer (also 128 MIDI channels, setting the new standard) over the build in 19" touchscreen or with PC monitor, since Jupiter F has both RGB and digital output for PC monitors (and graphic card to run). Built in 1TB hard disc. Standard 61, 76 and 88 keys offered in 3 finishes - quality synth action, waterfall, and hammer. Just dreaming, guyz!

I like that.

• Members

This is just in:

Jupiter F (meaning Fantom)

Multi core music system. Fourteen (!) different engines, including sampler, acoustic piano, electric piano, pipe organ, electric organ, acoustic emulator (brass and strings mode sharing 512 polyphony), choir emulator, solo voice emulator, string machine, Jupiter VA, JD-990 emulator, D-50 emulator (both JD-990 and D-50 emulator can use more than 7500 waveforms found in rompler mode), TR-808 emulator and unavoidable rompler with every waveform Roland ever produced, plus gigatons of best sounds free to download and use it in 4GB sampler (mentioned above), expandable to 32 gigabytes with PC slot memory. Every engine has 512 polyphony. No limitation in use of 128 MIDI chanells and easy to use Sequencer (also 128 MIDI channels, setting the new standard) over the build in 19" touchscreen or with PC monitor, since Jupiter F has both RGB and digital output for PC monitors (and graphic card to run). Built in 1TB hard disc. Standard 61, 76 and 88 keys offered in 3 finishes - quality synth action, waterfall, and hammer. Just dreaming, guyz!

Thanks so much for this. You made me laugh so hard that I almost died.:lol:

• Members

like I said before, some lame rompler.

idk though, a Kronos competitor that builds on the V-synth would be nice. But I won't get my hopes up. I do like their VAs though the Gaia seemed disappointing to me.

I think the Groove line, as ridiculed as it might have been back then, was a step in the right direction, just not far enough. Like if the MC-303 had included a basic bass synth VA like they put in later gear or like Korg did with the Electribe A. I imagine they made shedloads of money off the Groove line when it was trendy. But by now they've walked away from that and are hardly making anything good/interesting. Korg "gets it", Roland does not.

Actually what I'd really like from them is a new drum machine. Call it something something 808 to captalize on that. VA/samples, I don't care. Maybe something based off the MV? Something XR-20ish but maybe a bit nicer, with more kits and quality worthy of the Roland name. I dug the Boss DR-202 back when, just wasn't quite good enough.

Who knows? I'm not writing Roland off yet. But I have no need for a Jupiter Nouveau,

or even the original. I liked the Groove line too. Hell, I bought two RS series synths &

one JV30. I love 'em all.

A Roland workstation w/nine Roland synth engines like KRONOS?

Meh. KRONOS does not amaze me either.

I just know the music I create, which is basically ROMpler-based stuff. Roland has slipped off

my buying list in the last few years. But I've always loved their gear. It's so much easier-to-use.

Yamaha OTOH? I flee at every opportunity. I only buy Yamaha if I have no choice.

It had XG before. So I bought it. I still haven't figured out how to operate those MU

modules though.

Today, Yammie has KARMA G3. I'll probably buy that. Nobody else has it.

The market I shop in:

1. Yamaha dominates the realism ROMpler side & has just added KARMA.

2. Yamaha shares a big slice of the workstation market.

3. KORG probably still leads the workstation market & has always had KARMA.

Not much room for Roland there. A good way for Roland to get back into the workstation

game is to improve on KORG's limited RAM. Add HD. It's always made samplers. Make one

that's more powerful & easy-to-figure out than KORG or Yamaha.

But there's still that KARMA thing. And the realism race. Roland's already lost those two rounds.

If anyone comes up with something to compete with KARMA, I'd think Kurzweil would.

I dunno why. I'm probably wrong about that. But I think KARMA is a game-changer like MIDI

was in the late 1980's. Maybe not as big -- but still HUGE.

These days, I control my Korg & Yamaha modules with Roland controllers.

That's how far it's slipped.

But they are GREAT controllers. I like the ASSIGNED (not assignable) knobs they have.

I like the D-Beam (believe it or not).

• Members

"The spirit of a legend re-emerges"? I, too, would think Jupiter-8.

But the teaser music sounds more JD-like than analog.

So perhaps an updated version of the JD-800, with the same incomparable user interface and all the sliders / knobs? I would be interested, as I love the JD-800.

However, Yamaha and Korg came up with updated workstations (XF, Kronos), so Roland is due for an update of the Fantom as well...

• Members

Roland is not allowed to use the Jupiter name again, I read that in some forum a long time ago, they lost the name to another company, i could be wrong?

Unless CSA doesn't know this I would say Roland has reused the name Jupiter.

:thu:

Archived