What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

OK, but why isn't the Gaia on this list?

(I'm wondering if "Jupiter 80" was just a provisional name for the Gaia at the time of the submission....?)

If you notice the SH-201, GAIA SH-01, Juno-D, Juno-G and any other device that uses an ac adapter is not on the list. I don't think these need to be CSA certified since they have external power supplies. Ladies and Gentleman I believe we will see a new synth called Jupiter 80 released.

Read this at the top of the CSA page.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you notice the SH-201, GAIA SH-01, Juno-D, Juno-G and any other device that uses an ac adapter is not on the list. I don't think these need to be CSA certified since they have external power supplies.

Excellent point.

Silly to recycle old analog product names all the time, though.

In a way, they're just being straightforward I suppose, signaling that there's nothing really new to be expected here.

I'm far from a Roland basher, though -- I hope this instrument revitalizes their mojo a bit.

• Members

Here is how Roland can compete again in the workstation market.

Build a workstation at 1/2 KRONOS's price point or below.

Make it absolutely rock solid, gig-worthy & easy to use.

Include D50, & Jupiter classic synth engines. Make sample

loading quick & easy. More RAM than Korg or Yammie.

Flash & USB slots & mp3 recorder on-board.

Make it very easy to use and price it $100 or more below M3 or Motif price point.

It won't have KARMA. But Roland will have a winner.

Hell, I'll buy one.

• Members

Did nobody read this? That entry on the list could be for the (ancient, discontinued) MKS-80, not a new board at all.

Sorry a Super Jupiter MKS-80 is not the same product name as a Jupiter 80. There is a product named Jupiter 80 that has been certified by CSA. Who knows if it will be released but, it does exist.

• Members

Weird... Roland already produced a modern version of the Jupiter-8.... it was the JP-8000.

I think this will be a workstation then - to compete with XF and Kronos - and since the name "Fantom" has been around for a long time, they want to start a new workstation line and use the Jupiter name like they did with the new Junos. Just a guess

• Members

yeah paolo. to offer a workstation where they want u to buy arx/srx boards to get better sound is just... ughhh

You have a point in regards to the SR-JV80 and SRX series, but the ARX series seems to be a different, more powerful concept... in theory, if there is interest, I think Roland could offer virtual synth engines on future ARX cards - like total 1:1 clones of JD-800/990, JV-80/1080/2080, D-70 and other classic digital boards in their inventory, like they are doing with the Electric Piano ARX board, and like they did with the D-50 card for the V-Synth. Virtual digital synths in each expansion boards, I think they would be successful

• Members

Weird... Roland already produced a modern version of the Jupiter-8.... it was the JP-8000.

Yet the JP-8000 was released in 1997 -- which was 14 years ago, and only 12 years after they had ceased production of the Jupiter 8. Considering the time interval, I'd say the Jupiter concept is due for an update. The JP-8000 was a decent stab at producing a modern VA, but it remains a product of its time. At 8 voices (10 for the JP-8080) and 2 osc/voice, etc., it's a far cry from a top-of-the-line VA of today.

Something tells me they're planning to gut the 'Jupiter' name by co-opting it for their next wave of romplers -- much as they did with 'Juno' -- which would be a shame. I hope instead that they'll produce a multi-synth workstation a la Kronos.

Roland needs to understand that they've been playing a poor game of catch-up since the late 90s. It's as if they've been catering to some imagined majority rather than aiming for what technologically SHOULD come next. They really shined when they were willing to take the lead with bold ideas.

• Members

You have a point in regards to the SR-JV80 and SRX series, but the ARX series seems to be a different, more powerful concept... in theory, if there is interest, I think Roland could offer virtual synth engines on future ARX cards - like total 1:1 clones of JD-800/990, JV-80/1080/2080, D-70 and other classic digital boards in their inventory, like they are doing with the Electric Piano ARX board, and like they did with the D-50 card for the V-Synth. Virtual digital synths in each expansion boards, I think they would be successful

To compete with Kronos, I think the combination of different engines is likely and I like the modular approach you refer to. However, these technologies (ARX et al) combined strike me as kinda boring... throw in the Supernatural Piano and E-Piano and its even more boring to me... its sounding like a bunch of 90s and mid 2000s technology being lumped together... and that leaves me a bit... meh...

I would like to see some kind of 1:1 JP8 modelling and some kind of update on the V-Synth concept as I really like that synth (despite the wrong turn they made with the GT)... some really good strings/orchestral sounds rivalling what we have on our PCs and perhaps some kind of inbuilt sequencer recorder rivalling that of Ableton for an integrated live experience.

I believe the reason for a lot of the stagnation in the workstation market over the last 10 years is more a case of technology needing to catch up at an affordable price... the Kronos flash memory being an example of something that can hold the GB mega samples we have now seen for a good decade on our Macs and PCs..

• Members

I hate these speculations. Not because I don't think people have creative predictions, but because the predictions seem to be way off which in turn starts the let down before Roland even has a chance to do it for us. Plus is it just me or do these forums act like countdowns and just make the time go by even slower?

• Members

I hate these speculations. Not because I don't think people have creative predictions, but because the predictions seem to be way off which in turn starts the let down before Roland even has a chance to do it for us. Plus is it just me or do these forums act like countdowns and just make the time go by even slower?

I agree, but it's still fun to speculate. Hell, that's why they do these silly teaser countdowns anyway -- to create hype.

Besides, it's an interesting time in sound synthesis. We're seeing the breakdown of old models of "how it's done" on many levels -- different control surfaces, displays, interfaces, new means of storage, new ideas about portability, faster processors, and overall, unprecedented ratios of cost/performance.

One of the things that makes our field so unique is that it changes so radically with advances in technology. Guitarists and oboists, for example, don't see their fields of music change to such a degree so often. It turns out that there is much more to say about an upcoming workstation or flagship synth from Roland than there is to say, for example, about a new pick-up design by Fender, or a new stomp box.

• Members

I think this will be a workstation then - to compete with XF and Kronos - and since the name "Fantom" has been around for a long time, they want to start a new workstation line and use the Jupiter name like they did with the new Junos. Just a guess

I hope they get rid of the Fantom.

Fantoms will then come down in price & I will buy one.

Truth is, I've always wanted one.

Archived