jet city amplification?

the_woodoo_mule

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What speakers (brand, now many, etc.) are you using in that vid?

a single V30s in that combo. SM57 and a generic mic into Mackie Onyx into Quicktime into iMovie to Youtube.

Still that strange sound makes me angry. I will upload the file again with a different compressor than iMovies . . .

• Members

good morning, all. Lots of good stuff for me here today, thank you all VERY much - I am getting great input and feedback and it's very much appreciated. A few answers/comments:

@Tech21 - yes, I see your point about EL84 and "clean". I guess what I meant to say was, less gain than the current JCA20H. The 20H's single channel is the "normal" channel circuit of an SLO, but we certainly could dial that back a bit and "clean it up" more. So we were thinking in a 2-channel amp, the current channel would be the lead channel and the "new" channel would be a "cleaner" normal channel.

BUT.

the forum here unanimously feels the current channel should be the normal, and the new channel should be the SLO overdrive circuit. We CAN do that.

In fact, Mike built a custom single channel Atomic 16 only a few weeks ago, with the SLO circuit. Well, it certainly "ripped". But to Mike's ears it was pretty "compressed" and nasty for a low wattage amp. Mike is going to check in with that customer for some feedback, AND he will build us a 2-channel proto configured as discussed here, and we will take it around Seattle and see what others think about it. That seems like a prudent way to approach this.

Regarding tubes, EL84 vs 6v6, yeah, of course some peeps prefer one tube over another, but I'm going to base MY opinion on two things: Mike prefers the EL84 at this wattage, and to me, the JCA20H sounds awesome. But, we're flexible guys so, and we have the luxury of trying different things, so... why not?

@Dave - 333 is the collective weight of our girlfriends. The good news is, there are two of them. The bad news is, that's in kilos, not pounds.

@Rawk - I would like to impress you and take full credit for the copy, but I can't. It's a circuitious process: I write everything, then pass it to my friend Kent, who "punches it up" with phrases like "praying mantis kung fu" or "titans among pussies". and then I get it back and tone him down so I don't end up in court. Or jail. So, some of the quips are me, others are Kent. The one about smooth jazz is Kent - I have to confess, Larry Carlton is among my all-time fave guitarists. That dude has TONE.

Yeah, I can see why Mike feels that one-off build to be a bit compressed... an important part of the tone of a big high-gain amp comes from a power amp that can do some seriously heavy lifting without starting to compress and choke out. That

• Members

@Duesentrieb - seriously, I like your sound better than our own recordings. I'm gonna upgrade when I have the chance.
@EJ - thanks man. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and always felt I would want to connect with people online as much as possible. It's not selfless though - we have tons of web traffic and I am getting VALUABLE input and so far we haven't placed a single print ad...
@Yarb - yes I am interested to know you can write, AND you're in Bothell? I'm in Lynnwood... very close to Mill Creek. Maybe we should get together at a Starbucks... send me a PM with your email address?
@everyone, now, this isn't a creepy internet date... I freely admit I am a 47 year old man...

• Members

@Blues - YES. the lead channel of our JCA100H is the same circuit as the SLO. of course they sound different because of transformers and etc etc, but the essence is there. currently we are discussing the possibility of putting the same overdrive circuit in a 20 watt box.
@Duncan - yes, HOT. dig it, a lot.
@Hels - right now, just an ES335 I have had for several years. I have a few amps, but only stuff I managed. Believe it or not, I don't even have a JCA, but that will change tomorrow or Tuesday when we get some more product here in Seattle.
@Yarb - it looks very scary. I don't have high hopes, but we are up by 3 in the 4th...

• Members

I have just read this whole thread and am amazed at the level of interactive, pro-customer, attention that is being spent here by this company. I think the Electradyne can wait.

I agree. To bad these aren't made in the USA though.

• Members

I agree. To bad these aren't made in the USA though.

But that's kind of the point. You can get a made in the USA Soldano as it is, if you can afford one. This is for guys like me that love the sound and quality but can't afford (or don't need to afford) one made in the USA.

Frankly, I think Jet City is a perfect company for our time. What's Marshall or Fender doing that is new and exciting? Nothing. That means small builders are getting some great business. But, as I said, many of us can't afford to spend that kind of money. Here, we get the best of both worlds.

Archived