jet city amplification?

the_woodoo_mule

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

question for the dudes here:

do you NEED a 50 watt head? The difference in cost of parts is small, and the perceived volume difference is also small.

but IF we offered a 50 watt head, what if it was only 1 channel to differentiate it further from the 100 watter?

thanks. D.

Only if it's cheaper, You guys have to compete with the 6505 50 watter that just came out. Would be cool to see it in the 700-800 price range. I agree with the guy that said that if teh price is right these will DEFINITELY outsell the 100 watter. Why not make the bright caps switchable?

Also I would be down with a two channel with the od circuit of the slo, and the loop isn't a deal breaker for me.

BTW, What are the features on the pco valve?

• Members

I think bottom line for most people is if you guys can make an amp pretty close to the SLO OD channel (not even exact just close enough) with a decent loop and built as good as your run of the mill peavey at a price point of $1000.00 or below it will be pretty much back ordered. I know I would buy one in a heartbeat. If it had a depth mod circuit or resonance knob make that half a heartbeat.

Oh and just that one channel alone would be fine with me as well, honestly I'd rather have a great one channel amp at lower price point then a priceyer one with a after thought of a clean channel added on. 50 watts would be perfect for me. But I only use my "real" amps with the band. At home I usually just practice with a solid state amp at whisper volumes.

• Members

Morning everyone.

@Yarb - you're in Kirkland? I know I owe a visit to Soldano to another local here in the forum,
maybe we could arrange for a group of us to get together
, but I need a few more weeks to get that happening. My understanding is every GC location will get some Jet City, of course some more than others.

Make it so! That would be great and I am IN! Sounds like fun.

• Members

I played the JCA20H with matching cab in my local GC last night with a Tele. Very nice sounding amp. Not a lot of clean to the gain knob, but the OD tones felt very spongey to me. Some great rock tones to be had. I really appreciated a small amp with a master volume and 3-band EQ. I'd much prefer this compared to the Marshall Haze 15 I played before. And at $299 for the head, it'd be a no-brainer to me.

But what do I know? I hang out on the bass forum.

$.02

Edit: I'm really interested in playing the Pico Valve when it's available, being a THD owner.

• Members

I hear you, that has been an internal topic for a while. Here's the skinny: JCA20H's single channel is the NORMAL circuit from the SLO. We are playing with the 2 channel notion and there are 2 directions possible - either the 2nd channel goes for the OVERDRIVE circuit of SLO, OR the 2nd channel becomes the first channel and we clean it up a little bit. That's our current direction for 2 reasons: 1, we feel a cleaner channel might make the amp more versatile and useful, and 2, Mike build a SOLDANO Atomic but with the SLO Overdrive custom for a customer just a few weeks ago. I spent some time with it and it KICKED A**, but, I'm wondering...
all that gain at only 20 watts? It seemed a little like killing a fly with a hammer

I would be very interested in any comments on this topic, timing is good and the input from this group has been quite valuable.

Much like I said about the loops, I believe that today there

• Members

I think there was a reason why boogie's studio 22+ was hugely popular. Even digitech modeled it on the rp1000, (the "mini mark").

To have something of a mini SLO, simpler, EL84, affordable and ready to be crancked in small clubs etc would be GREAT. Can't wait actually!!!

• Members

Also I can't really understand the "cleaner" EL84 version???Or am I confused, and it's a EL34/6L6 version. Thing is, that whenever I play EL84 amps live I usually end up playing grunge/rock parts with the clean channel maxed and banging...and sometimes I don't even realize that I am on the clean channel...The concept EL84----clean does not apply to me!!! Gimme the SLO overdrive.

• Members

I picked one up last night. Its very well built and sounds pretty phenomenal. At the store I was comparing it to the Vox Nighttrain and the Egnater Rebel. This one, in my opinion, was leaps above them in terms of clarity, feel, responsiveness, etc. Its very dynamic and articulate.

I like.

• Members

good morning, all. Lots of good stuff for me here today, thank you all VERY much - I am getting great input and feedback and it's very much appreciated. A few answers/comments:
@Tech21 - yes, I see your point about EL84 and "clean". I guess what I meant to say was, less gain than the current JCA20H. The 20H's single channel is the "normal" channel circuit of an SLO, but we certainly could dial that back a bit and "clean it up" more. So we were thinking in a 2-channel amp, the current channel would be the lead channel and the "new" channel would be a "cleaner" normal channel.
BUT.
the forum here unanimously feels the current channel should be the normal, and the new channel should be the SLO overdrive circuit. We CAN do that.
In fact, Mike built a custom single channel Atomic 16 only a few weeks ago, with the SLO circuit. Well, it certainly "ripped". But to Mike's ears it was pretty "compressed" and nasty for a low wattage amp. Mike is going to check in with that customer for some feedback, AND he will build us a 2-channel proto configured as discussed here, and we will take it around Seattle and see what others think about it. That seems like a prudent way to approach this.
Regarding tubes, EL84 vs 6v6, yeah, of course some peeps prefer one tube over another, but I'm going to base MY opinion on two things: Mike prefers the EL84 at this wattage, and to me, the JCA20H sounds awesome. But, we're flexible guys so, and we have the luxury of trying different things, so... why not?
@Dave - 333 is the collective weight of our girlfriends. The good news is, there are two of them. The bad news is, that's in kilos, not pounds.
@Rawk - I would like to impress you and take full credit for the copy, but I can't. It's a circuitious process: I write everything, then pass it to my friend Kent, who "punches it up" with phrases like "praying mantis kung fu" or "titans among pussies". and then I get it back and tone him down so I don't end up in court. Or jail. So, some of the quips are me, others are Kent. The one about smooth jazz is Kent - I have to confess, Larry Carlton is among my all-time fave guitarists. That dude has TONE.

• Members

@Rawk - I would like to impress you and take full credit for the copy, but I can't. It's a circuitious process: I write everything, then pass it to my friend Kent, who "punches it up" with phrases like "praying mantis kung fu" or "titans among pussies". and then I get it back and tone him down so I don't end up in court. Or jail. So, some of the quips are me, others are Kent. The one about smooth jazz is Kent - I have to confess, Larry Carlton is among my all-time fave guitarists. That dude has TONE.

Just so you know, I am English prof and contract writer in the real world so if you guys ever feel like contracting out some of that work, you know where to find me!

BTW the more I hear about this amp, the more I want one. I love my Soldano designed T100C but 100 watts is just too much most of the time. 20 watts seems perfect!

Archived