jet city amplification?

the_woodoo_mule

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@thespark - yeah, GC will have the JCA20H and JCA12S on Black Friday - I have heard they have even rolled a few units early, here and there. Yes, MF will have them also, but they bought in to the whole range - so more products available from them. Not sure of the street date yet, but we shipped to them weeks ago so it should be very soon.

Awesome! Ill keep an eye out!

• Members

@MetalJon - yes, the speaker we are using has similar characteristics to the Legend speakers. Mike has always been a huge Eminence fan and used them for years, plus, I had worked with them on prior projects. So the choice of using drivers from their new factory was very natural. Plus, they were SO easy to work with on customizing. Really, I can't say enough good things about them, and their product.

Awesome. I am gonna be all over it once the JCA100 and JCA48S are available. Thanks, Doug. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Members

Man i would get one if i hadnt scored an ultra rare laney TT20H off ebay.

Btw. I think you guys should borrow an idea from the tt20h. A triode mode. On the Laney it really makes the amp darker thicker and just way awesome. it cuts the output to like 10 watts which gets you at the perfect level for powertube edge o distortion land at the perfect volume to jam with and not die.

~mike~

• Members

Good morning, and Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful to have met so many of you here, and for all the great feedback and inspiration I've received as a result. Seriously, thank you.

@RyGy - yeah, 2 channels of our 20 watt platform is something we are very keen to do, but it's behind a couple other projects now, so it may take a little while.

@MetalJon - yes, the speaker we are using has similar characteristics to the Legend speakers. Mike has always been a huge Eminence fan and used them for years, plus, I had worked with them on prior projects. So the choice of using drivers from their new factory was very natural. Plus, they were SO easy to work with on customizing. Really, I can't say enough good things about them, and their product.

@thespark - yeah, GC will have the JCA20H and JCA12S on Black Friday - I have heard they have even rolled a few units early, here and there. Yes, MF will have them also, but they bought in to the whole range - so more products available from them. Not sure of the street date yet, but we shipped to them weeks ago so it should be very soon.

Am watching this now intently. I'm a local as well. Will try the 20 and 100 out when I can get to a GC. I'm about 40 minutes from Seattle. Closer to Tacoma.

Send some to Sweetwater so I don't have to pay shipping and taxes hehe.

The 20watter sounds good. Wish you'd make a low wattage plexi style. I could give a {censored} about high gain but those rock tones with dynamics I luv all day long. I'm tired of blowing my ears out so the lower wattage amps get my interest these days.

• Members

Okay so i just came back and played the 20 watter in the loud room. verdict.

First of all i think mike soldano is right, when you crank up the amp to jamming volume, there really is no need for more gain. Actually there was plenty for everyone at about 7 at that volume, thr crunching powertubes added the rest and any more and you wouldnt be able to make out the notes.

I was amazed at how TIGHT and PUNCHY the amp is at about 7. Its the PERFECT jamming volume even if you play metal, and it is so freakin tight. This must be due to the output transformer which is like grossly oversized. It was awesome.

The other awesome thing is i just cranked the gain and was able to "swtich channels" with a les paul by setting the neck volume low, it was crazy dynamic.

Its a totally different sound than my laney.

I have a feeling mike is driving the el84's at somewhere over 350 volts because there was little el84 chime, it sounded like big tubes.

It cant do the inbetween squishy chimey thing as well as my laney, but my laney isnt as bonecrushingly tight cranked up either.

Honestly this would make a PERFECT first amp, or heck perfect rock/ metal amp if you dont need super loud cleans.

All the other amp makers are about to loose ALOT of business.

The quality of the thing was frankly TOP NOTCH. Almost TOO good. It feels beter made than my british laneys. Its frankly about as well made as my old VHT was. Yes i will say it... this 300 dollar asian import amp is as good as VHT. Tone wise, quality wise.

This amp is not a good amp for the money. It is a good amp period. And frankly i think it stands up there with ANY amp boutique 3000 dollar american made or not with the same features. I just really dont see any corners cut. Even the transformers are top notch. The workmanship was flawless.

The only reason i didnt get it is because A i liek my stuff new in the box. B i didnt wanan pay tax, and C because i have the laney and 3 other big tube amps.

If i did not have the laney, i would absoultely be rocking out on the thing now.

Oh and PERFECT hard rock tone.

and if you like intronaut perfect tone for them (they use slo's and 5150's).

~mike~

Just to piss folks off let me repeat. This asian made amp is absolutely as good of an amp as ANY high dollar amp. It is a 1000 dollar amp for 300 dollars.
You get what you pay for is FLAT OUT WRONG. you do not. With the jet city you get 3x. Period.
~mike~

• Members

First of all i think mike soldano is right, when you crank up the amp to jamming volume, there really is no need for more gain. Actually there was plenty for everyone at about 7 at that volume, thr crunching powertubes added the rest and any more and you wouldnt be able to make out the notes.

I was amazed at how TIGHT and PUNCHY the amp is at about 7. Its the PERFECT jamming volume even if you play metal, and it is so freakin tight. This must be due to the output transformer which is like grossly oversized. It was awesome.

The other awesome thing is i just cranked the gain and was able to "swtich channels" with a les paul by setting the neck volume low, it was crazy dynamic.

I have a feeling mike is driving the el84's at somewhere over 350 volts because there was little el84 chime, it sounded like big tubes.

It cant do the inbetween squishy chimey thing as well as my laney, but my laney isnt as bonecrushingly tight cranked up either.

Honestly this would make a PERFECT first amp, or heck perfect rock/ metal amp if you dont need super loud cleans.

The quality of the thing was frankly TOP NOTCH. Almost TOO good. It feels beter made than my british laneys. Its frankly about as well made as my old VHT was. Yes i will say it... this 300 dollar asian import amp is as good as VHT. Tone wise, quality wise.

This amp is not a good amp for the money. It is a good amp period. And frankly i think it stands up there with ANY amp boutique 3000 dollar american made or not with the same features. I just really dont see any corners cut. Even the transformers are top notch. The workmanship was flawless.

The only reason i didnt get it is because A i liek my stuff new in the box. B i didnt wanan pay tax, and C because i have the laney and 3 other big tube amps.

If i did not have the laney, i would absoultely be rocking out on the thing now.

~mike~

Just to piss folks off let me repeat. This asian made amp is absolutely as good of an amp as ANY high dollar amp. It is a 1000 dollar amp for 300 dollars.

You get what you pay for is FLAT OUT WRONG. you do not. With the jet city you get 3x. Period.

~mike~

Damn, that

• Members

~mike~

~mike~

Man that induces some serious gas. What cab, and speakers were you playing this through??

• Members

i played it thru the matching 1x12 and really loudly through i beleive a marshall 1960a 4x12.

With the 4x12 it was absolutely perfect for a metal jam. It could take on drums and bass no problem.

I didnt get to crank the matching cab. Matching cab didnt seem like anything special. It seemed slightly above average, but better sounding than the similar valve junior cabs, the cab was quite a bit larger. For the price tho the cab is fine. Its 199 and a 1x12 from avatar empty would cost you about the same. Might as well get a free speaker for the same price.

This with an avatar would be Money.
~mike~

• Members

Oh and the tubes were Shuguangs throughout.

I just fired up my laney again, and its a close battle. Laney does the singing lead sounds better.

it sounds to me like the best sounds in this amp (JC) is high gain hard rock.
The lead tone isnt exactly ultra woman mark series type tone. Its tighter and more barking.

The perfect word to describe the tone is SAVAGE. It sounds like a savage beast. But basically listen to an intronaut album and that is the tone.

Even on lower gain settings it barks alot. Actually the best tight roar i think is about 7-8 on the gain, not all the way up.
~mike~

• Members

i was saving for an axe-fx since i found out my wife is preganant, but ive decided screw the axe-fx. im getting a new PC, Guitar rig 4 session (149 bucks onsale now with the interface), and....
As soon as musiciansfriend gets these boys in stock im ordering one.
~mike~

• Members
How's the midgain lead tone? You know classic rock lead tone.

It can do that all day! It's kind of thin sounding just like the Atomic 16 I had so it's best for leads.

Sounds even better now that I change all the preamp tubes. Got to order a set of EL84's to change as well.

I have a 12au7 in V1 right now which makes it a pretty good clean amp for pedals.:thu:

• Members
It can do that all day! It's kind of thin sounding just like the Atomic 16 I had so it's best for leads.

Sounds even better now that I change all the preamp tubes. Got to order a set of EL84's to change as well.

I have a 12au7 in V1 right now which makes it a pretty good clean amp for pedals.
:thu:

That brings the gain down from a 100 to 20. You feel it didn't neuter it? I like doing that with an AT7 but that is as low gain of a preamp tube as I've gone. I understand why though. You're going to use pedals for your gain then?

Thanks for the input.

Archived